kaybee

Don't stone me but....

Does anyone have any suggestions for a really, really, really good vegetarian dish (hah - autocorrect put vegetations instead which I guess is also true!!)?

I'm talking something you'd be as proud to bring out as your best brisket or pulled pork. My brother and sister-in-law are moving to the other side of the country (it's Canada so that's significant) and I have one last chance to blow her away with something from the Q's. 

I have build your own pizza (always a winner) as a fallback. I'm looking for something beyond though, not grilled veggies, not smoked vegetarian lasagna. Really something that makes you go 'what on earth was that, so good'.

Even if it is just something you ate somewhere and you can describe the major ingredients, I'm willing to run with that. I have about 6 weeks to get something down. 

Meanwhile I'll practice pizza, it's a hard job but someone has to do it!

here are some recipes

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/g2086/vegetable-grill-recipes/

there are also veggie burgers you can do that is a winner like the pizza

let us know what you decide to do

1 minute ago, Stile 88 said:

here are some recipes

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/g2086/vegetable-grill-recipes/

there are also veggie burgers you can do that is a winner like the pizza

let us know what you decide to do

Thanks, I will. There are some extremely creative minds in this forum (looking at you @ckreef :-D) so I look forward to the suggestions and experimentation!!

25 minutes ago, kaybee said:

Thanks, I will. There are some extremely creative minds in this forum (looking at you @ckreef :-D) so I look forward to the suggestions and experimentation!!

I don't cook vegetarian but I have at least once in my life. How about Tofu Wellington? You would have to skip the prosciutto, maybe use a layer of spinach instead. There you have my one suggestion. 

38 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I don't cook vegetarian but I have at least once in my life. How about Tofu Wellington? You would have to skip the prosciutto, maybe use a layer of spinach instead. There you have my one suggestion. 

That looks quite interesting actually. Although I must say it was the Bourbon Apples that sunk the initial hook. I hope you followed through and posted the recipe like you said you were going to!! :-D

Note, if I get her tips on what to do with the tofu to make it more edible/tasty (she should know although I'm surprised the long marinade time didn't do it) and make the suggested spinach substitution this really has potential!

See, I knew you could do it @ckreef :-D

33 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Actually check out this "Chopped" challenge entry thread. It has 8 decent cooks all featuring tofu. There should be links to every cook in there. 

Yes, definitely! Thanks very much again @ckreef, you are The Man!!

Forum protocol question - I am getting some really interesting answers in another BBQ forum I participate in. Is it consider bad behaviour to post a link to that forum?

Thought I'd try the approach of asking rather than begging forgiveness this time....

1 hour ago, just4fn said:

I would do the portobello mushroom burger:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14497/portobello-mushroom-burgers/

Nice suggestion but unfortunately my brother doesn't eat mushrooms. Hates them. It would certainly work for my sister-in-law and I'll consider them if I end up cooking multiple things as an appetizer/buffet approach. That would also allow me to mix in a couple of meat things for the carnivores. Got some really good tapas suggestions on another forum (the one I would like to link to).

Similarly, I don't eat fish/seafood of any type so it's really a difficult thing for me to cook...

Thanks

6 hours ago, kaybee said:

Forum protocol question - I am getting some really interesting answers in another BBQ forum I participate in. Is it consider bad behaviour to post a link to that forum?

Thought I'd try the approach of asking rather than begging forgiveness this time....

Links to other forums gets posted from time to time. I don't see a problem as long as it's relative to the discussion.