I'm so disapointed..... Kamado Joe customer service

Hi everyone,

I'm here to share with you a short story of what I'm living know with the Kamado Joe customer service. 

I bought a Joe Classic in 2013. 

On may 6th, i found a crack on the base of the joe, that run under it third way I'd say.

May 7h, I received a order number for the replacement.

And then, nothing.

On june 4th, I asked for an update about my case by email, nobody took care of my request.

June 8th, I called them to know what happened, the gril told me there was notihing but a conversation note.... she did not foud the order number. I gave it to her, and at this point she told me, it's not available for the moment.......... She told me she was going to take care of me and give me news shortly. Still nothing.

They told me to continue cooking on it, nor risk.

Would you cook on a cracked kamado guys?

Nobody from kamado joe has ever called me back or sent me an email, except on may 7th for the order number..... 

I'm from Quebec city. When I sent my first email, we still had snow in our backyard here..... our summer are pretty short, and will be gone, soon. 

I bought a kamado joe because of their big warranty.... and now I'm wondering why.

IAm I the only one living that kind of situation?

If you kamado joe guys dont have the old base.... send me the new model with the new lid, dont make me wait for months, please, please....

Sorry for my dark message but I'm really disapointed actually.

Ben

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kamado Joe is not affiliated with this forum The odds of someone from the company seeing your post and taking action are very small If it were me, I'd be calling daily until it was fixed.

And often gets a whole lot more expensive on the way

+1   We could go all day on the customer service sucesses of which, I think the better part of us have experienced. The thing is what to do when there are breakdowns. And there are from time

Posted Images

(877) 215-6299..... dont know who I was talking to but honestly, what a shame...

I have an awesome grill on my deck but it's used as basket for my old charcoal from my kettles..... sometimes i open it and take few charcool soops to acook on an other grill.... 

My big joe has had a crack for 8 years......has not not resulted in any negative impact on cooking results. It is a ceramic cooking vessel. Clay, like glass, can not bend. If it is bad i am sure kj will honor a replacement ( even if not bad). I have seen numerous comments from people that request, and receive, a replacement and hold in reserve for future use.  Remain calm, all is good .

Kamado Joe is not affiliated with this forum

The odds of someone from the company seeing your post and taking action are very small

If it were me, I'd be calling daily until it was fixed.

Making a phone call 6 weeks ago, waiting by the phone and then posting on an unaffiliated forum is not really the way to get anything done quickly.

While I agree, the delay in someone getting back to you is not great, being upset because they didn't pick up the phone after 6 weeks, when you haven't followed up your claim is not 100% on them.

Call them back and remind them about your situation. If their response is unacceptable to you, continue calling until it is.

Some things slip through the cracks and a polite reminder every once in a while is not too much to ask if its keeping you from using your grill

Hey Ben,

Bummer to hear that you're having an issue with your Joe.

I've had a badly cracked firebox (the old version) - I cooked with that for about 3 months while the replacement one was ordered.  I got it eventually, and all was fine.

I recently cracked my dome - small crack.  Emailed the Australian disty, who's ordered a replacement.  I'm still cooking with it like a fiend, so unless the thing is actually shattered, then I reckon it's fine to keep cooking with. 

They're not quick with the replacements, but they do arrive eventually.

EDIT: I'm in Australia, so stuff takes a long time to arrive.  I guess my point is that it's OK to cook with a cracked Joe

Over time I have read many posts about KJ CS. I have also surmised that in some cases the response time is not what someone expects-I can only guess not what KJ expects either but it happens.

I also have read that KJ CS has made good on issues with their stuff. @Polar Bear mirrors my sentiments.

27 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Kamado Joe is not affiliated with this forum

The odds of someone from the company seeing your post and taking action are very small

If it were me, I'd be calling daily until it was fixed.

Making a phone call 6 weeks ago, waiting by the phone and then posting on an unaffiliated forum is not really the way to get anything done quickly.

While I agree, the delay in someone getting back to you is not great, being upset because they didn't pick up the phone after 6 weeks, when you haven't followed up your claim is not 100% on them.

Call them back and remind them about your situation. If their response is unacceptable to you, continue calling until it is.

Some things slip through the cracks and a polite reminder every once in a while is not too much to ask if its keeping you from using your grill

I have the top vent paint peeling issue-feel confident that when I get around to a CS request they will make good.

The op stated it's a crack in the base not the firebox or dome. This is an entirely different situation. If the crack in a base gives way you potentially have hot coals falling out on the ground below. What kind of ground does the KJ sit on and how close are other flammable objects? There are horror stories on the internet of barns and houses burning down when the base cracks open and spills out glowing coals. 

Proceed with caution...... Just sayin... 

Agree with ckreef above.  The crack in the base is an entirely different situation than a crack in the firebox and the structural integrity of the kamado is compromised.  I would take the advice of customer service and not use it.  Better safe than sorry.

I would call customer service back and both calmly and clearly communicate your frustration and why it is so important to you (you enjoy cooking on your Joe and your summer season is limited).  See if they can give you any more information and let them know that you would like to be kept posted on any updates if possible.  Perhaps that was already your approach...  But if not, it might make a difference for the person on the other end of the phone to understand what it means to you and why.

10 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Agree with ckreef above.  The crack in the base is an entirely different situation than a crack in the firebox and the structural integrity of the kamado is compromised.  I would take the advice of customer service and not use it.  Better safe than sorry.

I would call customer service back and both calmly and clearly communicate your frustration and why it is so important to you (you enjoy cooking on your Joe and your summer season is limited).  See if they can give you any more information and let them know that you would like to be kept posted on any updates if possible.  Perhaps that was already your approach...  But if not, it might make a difference for the person on the other end of the phone to understand what it means to you and why.

Maybe I missed it but I don’t see where KJ CS told the OP not to use it. 

We we don’t know the severity of the crack... hairline? Gaping?

i imagine kJ will come through in the end. Being proactive could help

Mine has had a crack in the base since I first got it. I let customer support know about it (with pictures) but told them I was fine cooking on it until it failed. Three years later, no further widening and no problems...

This is generational. I have had great successes with customer service and there have been times when due to whatever, their response time has been less than ideal. It never hits my consciousness to go to a bbq forum and complain. Typically, the times when been all non-emergent. If a situation is that important to me (and this goes for any company), it becomes my fulltime job getting it resolved. I am going to stay on the phone until someone gets tired of the multiple messages, contacts, emails, etc.

Here's to a timely resolution to the OP's concerns.