I'm so disapointed..... Kamado Joe customer service

Hi, little follow up ...

It's more than four months now (19 weeks) and I'm still waiting. I received a base 2 weeks ago BUT it was a new one, with the mesh gasket (which I don't have). I called them back. First the told me to scrape the gasket..... Wasn't very happy with it... dirty job for a new part. So, they told me they'll send me another one, the good one. I asked them to send me a mesh gasket for my top and a new hinge instead to make it work and they refused (don't know if it was a technical problem or they just don't want).  I received the second replacement base yesterday, same thing, mesh gasket.

Still disapointed, still feel dropped by KJ.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kamado Joe is not affiliated with this forum The odds of someone from the company seeing your post and taking action are very small If it were me, I'd be calling daily until it was fixed.

And often gets a whole lot more expensive on the way

+1   We could go all day on the customer service sucesses of which, I think the better part of us have experienced. The thing is what to do when there are breakdowns. And there are from time

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, benthemayor said:

Hi, little follow up ...

It's more than four months now (19 weeks) and I'm still waiting. I received a base 2 weeks ago BUT it was a new one, with the mesh gasket (which I don't have). I called them back. First the told me to scrape the gasket..... Wasn't very happy with it... dirty job for a new part. So, they told me they'll send me another one, the good one. I asked them to send me a mesh gasket for my top and a new hinge instead to make it work and they refused (don't know if it was a technical problem or they just don't want).  I received the second replacement base yesterday, same thing, mesh gasket.

Still disapointed, still feel dropped by KJ.

Don’t scrape off the mesh gasket.  Anyone telling you to scrape it off is giving you bad advice.

Leave it be.  None of the new bases are going to have the old felt gaskets anymore. 

Everyone should be upgrading to the mesh gaskets anyway. 

I would consider getting the latest gasket as a bonus.  There was no reason to scrape it off. You can use the mesh gasket on the base with the felt on the dome.  It’s no big deal.

KJ is only responsible to replace ceramic parts under their warranty.  Metal parts and gaskets are consumables with a 1 year warranty. 

4 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

KJ is only responsible to replace ceramic parts under their warranty.  Metal parts and gaskets are consumables with a 1 year warranty. 

This is what the site says, Metal parts have a 5 year warranty and yes gaskets are 1 year

Warranty.jpg

1 minute ago, JaxxQ said:

This is what the site says, Metal parts have a 5 year warranty and yes gaskets are 1 year

Warranty.jpg

They updated their warranty policy.  When I bought my Joes, metal parts are were covered by 1 year.   Sorry for the error there.  

If you’re getting a base with a Fiberglass gasket, you’re actually getting a free upgrade.  It’s not a bad thing. 

I aways wondered.....why if the old hinge wouldn't allow the new gasket to work because of the increased gap needed to accommodate the extra bulk of the new gasket, why not just use 1 new gasket on the top or the bottom?    1/2 the bulk and it should seal with either the felt gasket or no gasket at all on the opposing side.  Hope my question is clear enough to decipher.

18 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

I aways wondered.....why if the old hinge wouldn't allow the new gasket to work because of the increased gap needed to accommodate the extra bulk of the new gasket, why not just use 1 new gasket on the top or the bottom?    1/2 the bulk and it should seal with either the felt gasket or no gasket at all on the opposing side.  Hope my question is clear enough to decipher.

When squished flat the new gasket is only about an 3/16 inch thicker than the felt gaskets.  It’s only a slight difference when the gasket is compressed. It’s really going to depend on how the bands are set-up in the base.  Some people will have to re-align their bands after the new gasket is installed to fit the Jostierrie wedge. 

Buying the new 2 gen hinge for the older Big Joe also solves the problem. 

18 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

They updated their warranty policy.  When I bought my Joes, metal parts are were covered by 1 year.   Sorry for the error there.  

If you’re getting a base with a Fiberglass gasket, you’re actually getting a free upgrade.  It’s not a bad thing. 

I understand your point. 

But first: is an half & half gasket going to work properly, without the latch and the right hinge.

And honestly, I'm not Interested in having a FranKamado'enstein. I mean, half of it "original", and the other half second generation. Not designed to work together but it 'may" work. I want "full original gasket" or "full classic gasket". I think it's fair.

Only sending me the right parts to upgrade the kamado would be so simple: upper gasket and new hinge. Would be cheaper and faster for them in shipping for sure, and they would have a satisfied customer. In worst case if something doesn't fit, why not sending me the top too, they already sent me two bases!

19 minutes ago, benthemayor said:

I understand your point. 

But first: is an half & half gasket going to work properly, without the latch and the right hinge.

And honestly, I'm not Interested in having a FranKamado'enstein. I mean, half of it "original", and the other half second generation. Not designed to work together but it 'may" work. I want "full original gasket" or "full classic gasket". I think it's fair.

Only sending me the right parts to upgrade the kamado would be so simple: upper gasket and new hinge. Would be cheaper and faster for them in shipping for sure, and they would have a satisfied customer. In worst case if something doesn't fit, why not sending me the top too, they already sent me two bases!

The felt gasket and fiberglass gasket will work perfectly. You’ll get a better seal than you would with two felt gaskets.  It’s a win-win to some degree.  It works fine without the latch.  The weight of the dome creates the seal. 

They made a mistake sending you a second base. Support would have been better off to send you a piece of Fiberglass gasket for the dome.  There was zero reason to send a 2nd base.  They wasted the company’s money doing that. 

On 9/21/2018 at 8:18 AM, Charcoal Addict said:

The felt gasket and fiberglass gasket will work perfectly. You’ll get a better seal than you would with two felt gaskets.  It’s a win-win to some degree.  It works fine without the latch.  The weight of the dome creates the seal. 

They made a mistake sending you a second base. Support would have been better off to send you a piece of Fiberglass gasket for the dome.  There was zero reason to send a 2nd base.  They wasted the company’s money doing that. 

Absolutely!

• 1 year later...

Also bought a Big Joe III in August with a defective side shelf. Been a nightmare with the CS team. Constant missed commitments. A replacement sent that was also defective. A second replacement sent that was actually for the Classic and not the Big Joe. 

On 1/23/2020 at 6:00 PM, MIZZOU101 said:

Bought BJoe 3 in Oct 2019.  Almost immediately one of the side shelves broke.  I'm still waiting for the part.

Did you buy from a dealer or direct / online store?

3 hours ago, CP1141 said:

Also bought a Big Joe III in August with a defective side shelf. Been a nightmare with the CS team. Constant missed commitments. A replacement sent that was also defective. A second replacement sent that was actually for the Classic and not the Big Joe. 

Same question, dealer or direct?

On 1/27/2020 at 8:39 AM, Chris Topher said:

Is a defective side shelf really a nightmare? A headache, perhaps.

He said dealing with crap customer service was the nightmare.  The part involved is meaningless.

Tom

1 hour ago, T_om said:

He said dealing with crap customer service was the nightmare.  The part involved is meaningless.

Tom

I think the point was, a cumbersome warrenty claim on a defective side table would be an inconvience (at worst) due to the fact it doesnt really affect the use of the grill (hell, a lot of BGE owners dont even buy them when they pick up thier grill)

If it was a damaged dome or fire box, ie, something that would keep you from cooking, a difficult warrenty claim would be a PITA as you've got this expensive grill you cant use