squatchout

iKamand first impressions

I reinserted the old vent door behind the new one and it sealed that gap not that the small gap would have created a problem I just didn't know what to do with the old door vent

image.jpeg

Can you use your KJ using traditional vents without having to resort the the iK?

I know its designed to be left on the grill, but if you wanted to take it off can you KJ still work like it normally would or does the iK become take over bottom vent duties full time?

53 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Can you use your KJ using traditional vents without having to resort the the iK?

I know its designed to be left on the grill, but if you wanted to take it off can you KJ still work like it normally would or does the iK become take over bottom vent duties full time?

You can pop out the iKamand (the black plastic box) from the little black push tabs, then pull it out. Then you just put the blocker plate in its place. Then you can slide the door like the old one, and it functions the same as the old manual sliding door. Go to 1:46 in my video and you can see what I'm talking about.

41 minutes ago, squatchout said:

You can pop out the iKamand (the black plastic box) from the little black push tabs, then pull it out. Then you just put the blocker plate in its place. Then you can slide the door like the old one, and it functions the same as the old manual sliding door. Go to 1:46 in my video and you can see what I'm talking about.

Oh right

I'd be curious to see if that plastic cover could take the radiant heat when trying to shut down an 800f grill

15 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Oh right

I'd be curious to see if that plastic cover could take the radiant heat when trying to shut down an 800f grill

I was kind of curious about that too, was wondering if any of the plastic would end up melting or anything. I guess we'll see.

23 hours ago, Paul said:

I reinserted the old vent door behind the new one and it sealed that gap not that the small gap would have created a problem I just didn't know what to do with the old door vent

image.jpeg

I like the idea of leaving the original vent door.  It might protect the iKamand insert that is part plastic.   I'm going to give this a try tomorrow when I install the new vent door.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, BBQbuzz said:

I like the idea of leaving the original vent door.  It might protect the iKamand insert that is part plastic.   I'm going to give this a try tomorrow when I install the new vent door.

I've seen a few people do this.

I looks like it will depend on how snug the iK adapter is in the stock position

I have heard of people replacing the dome toped bolts in the vent with flush fitting ones so the vent doors can be swapped out at will.

Considering I saw 2 separate posts this weekend of people melting their covers, trying to retain the original bottom vent door is probably not the worst idea in the short term

Thanks -- I have to try it out.  I only used the iKamand on a high heat ignite for Pizza (600+ degrees).  I had the plastic back on it for when I had to shut down.   It did not melt.....was I lucky?   Either way -- it I can get the original door in place I will be happy! 

I was able to leave the original vent door in place with the new iKamand door.   I'm gland I did as my first cook was fish and I needed a very low temperate.  I need to close down both the damper on the iKamand and the original vent door to keep the temperature low.

IMG-3486.JPG

IMG-3488.JPG

So yeah apparently they can melt at higher heat. My vent door block with the plastic in it melted after trying to shut down at about 650F.

I don't have an ash pan/catcher in mine, because it's an older one that didn't come with that, and I'm using the more open fire grate/basket, so maybe more heat is getting down there. I even tested it some again when I only had it at about 450 trying to shut it down, and the vent block gets so hot I have to use a glove and tool to touch it, so still worried about it melting on me even at lower temps. I really don't think using plastic in the thing was a good idea. That being said, there are a number of others who have used it at higher temps too, and there's have been fine.

melted door (1).jpg

melted door (2).jpg

Well that does clarify the possible difference in your experience vs. others.  I'd certainly think a basket instead of the CI grate, coupled with the lack of an ash tray, would end up allowing a lot more heat at the lower vent area.  

Don't get me wrong, I still think they needed to design for that scenario given they're selling ash baskets to gen-1 owners without an ash tray.  It shouldn't be hard to do a different sort of insert to solve the matter.  For now though I think the best solution is as above, dual-mount the old door with the iK door or set up so you can swap.  From what I hear the BJ handles both at the same time better than the Classic.