I had been reading about people having fun cooking on woks outdoors and thought, I don't even have an indoor wok! (We also have a flattop stove, so I think an indoor wok would not be the way to go.) So I did a little research and ordered a nice carbon steel wok and some accessories from the Wok Shop in San Fran. (16" with the loop handles so it would fit on the Akorn and still close the lid if I wanted). Got it seasoned and did my first cook on it last night. Super fun and tasty! I know some people will say that a kamado is not an ideal heat source for we woks, and I will try it on the turkey fryer at some point. Couple things if do differently next time are let it heat up a little more before putting the food in, and I probably overloaded it a bit, but the family was happy and it's a learning process. I must have got it seasoned correctly because it was very non stick. Also I got a 17" charcoal grate from a Weber kettle and that sits on the deflector tabs and the Wok sits on that to get it closer to the fire. 

59CA64AA-DF24-4262-86AF-34D13B1AF0DA.jpeg

BAAEA67B-FBDE-4AE9-8CDD-D0778384307E.jpeg

4A9D4626-EF5F-4B21-B44D-200A5BDDEBE6.jpeg

+1 for The Wok Shop

and your seasoning AND cook both look great. nom nom.

i have a Woo Ring that i use in my Vision S from time to time, and it does work a treat for those times i want to use my carbon steel wok or paella pan.  gets you just that little bit closer to the heat source.

32 minutes ago, Yazamitaz said:

Ahhh crap!!!! Now there's something else I need to buy. Never heard of this website and need to check it out.

This site is terrible for financial management :rofl:

You are so right about that, I haven't even cooked anything yet but have purchased several things based on reading these different threads! LOL but lucky for me I already have a wok.

Scott

4 hours ago, Yazamitaz said:

Ahhh crap!!!! Now there's something else I need to buy. Never heard of this website and need to check it out.

Have you checked out the knife posts yet? I have been reading them, but resisted going down that rabbit hole.

16 hours ago, Yazamitaz said:

I totally feel that way too, although this was a relatively small investment, the wok, wok shovel, wok ring, a cleaning brush and shipping was about $55, the extra grate at Home Depot was $10. Even though it's not chrome plated (comes greasy) I think I might try dropping a steak on it to get a good sear, also would be useful if I wanted to hang a water/dripping pan without the Smokin' Stone for some reason.

21 hours ago, paintflinger said:

I've got the adjustable charcoal grate from CG and I'm thinking that the metal handle hammered wok settled in the circular hole in the Acorn grate might not be a bad setup.

That would totally work too, you'll just probably have to reseason your grate after, but no big deal.

I used mine again last night and did a better job of getting the grill and wok hotter this time and the results were pretty amazing!  I need to make some fried rice, haven't done that in ages.

7 hours ago, Red River Smoke said:

I used mine again last night and did a better job of getting the grill and wok hotter this time and the results were pretty amazing!  I need to make some fried rice, haven't done that in ages.

I actually used it again tonight.  Title says it all.

https://youtu.be/Rz9wDWgfiQA

IMG_20180702_203537-01.jpeg