BBQbuzz

iKamand Problems

Well that’s just ducky, a new model coming out when the first is is POS and difficult to use.  First if should support 2.4 & 5.  My ISP frowns on have 2 different SSIDs one for each speed and that is the start of the issues.  

EVERY time I try to use the unit I have to plan ahead several days to see IF I can get it to connect to the network.  Most times I give up and use the FB but I wanted to use this to help with fire start up.  If I can get if going it drops connection non stop.

Disappointed I bought it, disappointed I didn’t return it in time.  Disappointed in KJ lack of support and transparency.

Edited by grc

1 hour ago, grc said:

Well that’s just ducky, a new model coming out when the first is is POS and difficult to use.  First if should support 2.4 & 5.  My ISP frowns on have 2 different SSIDs one for each speed and that is the start of the issues.  

EVERY time I try to use the unit I have to plan ahead several days to see IF I can get it to connect to the network.  Most times I give up and use the FB but I wanted to use this to help with fire start up.  If I can get if going it drops connection non stop.

Disappointed I bought it, disappointed I didn’t return it in time.  Disappointed in KJ lack of support and transparency.

Don’t panic GRC.  They’ll probably do a recall for existing iKamand customers. 

I emailed customer support about the issues people are having with version 1 to see if there is any progress since I really want one.  This is the response I got. 

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are working on resolving the issues for the IKamand and we have no status on when a second version will be released.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@grc - this is bad advice and I would NOT recommend putting any faith in it.  

I strongly disagree.

If the current iKamand is having such huge problems that new model has to be released to resolve the issue, why wouldn’t they exchange the defective units still under warranty if they can’t resolve the issues with the first iKamand? 

KJ usually been good about stuff like that. They gave cover replacements for people with the original cover fading issue.  They exchanged a good number of first batch of   Kontrol Towers too. 

@Charcoal Addict whether you agree or not is NOT the problem.  You suggested to a user here that Kamado Joe will PROBABLY issue a recall.  No matter how much you might want that to happen, you do not know that it will happen. Suggesting to someone that it will happen is unacceptable advice in my opinion.  If you would like to rephrase your comment to say that you would like to see Kamado Joe issue a recall rather than saying that Kamado Joe will probably issue a recall, then your comment would have been OK.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

@Charcoal Addict whether you agree or not is NOT the problem.  You suggested to a user here that Kamado Joe will PROBABLY issue a recall.  No matter how much you might want that to happen, you do not know that it will happen. Suggesting to someone that it will happen is unacceptable advice in my opinion.  If you would like to rephrase your comment to say that you would like to see Kamado Joe issue a recall rather than saying that Kamado Joe will probably issue a recall, then your comment would have been OK.

That’s exactly what I was trying to convey in the first post.  I used the word “probably” AKA as meaning not 100% sure. 

It’s reason why I never buy these gadgets when they first come out. They have teething problems and tech issues in the first Generation.  

On 1/9/2019 at 2:47 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

Is there any updates on the revised iKamand; have the issues people been having been fixed?

I’ve been holding off on getting on iKamand until the units are working correctly & have spare probes available. 

I just called Kamado Joe and asked. I was told there's a newer version coming out in March or April.

I'm kind of interested in something like this for overnight cooks which I usually do for long cooks. Usually the temps stay really stable but something like this is pretty cool for guaranteeing a good nights sleep. I like to eat heavy foods earlier in the day personally

I haven't had any connectivity issues, pretty much love this thing.  Wish I could find more probes, but...  I figured that would come.

That said, I slid the damper out to temporarily stop the grill while I sought steak cooked-ness approval from my "eat beef jerky steak" son.

Not really any pressure or force involved, and the housing cracked and pretty much fell apart.

Has anyone else had this happen? Or is this all just connectivity issues?

Had it since Oct.  Used it on a couple of briskets, some turkeys, take it off when done and use the cap, but it's so brittle now...

Thanks. 

Contacted KJ, they are going to warranty replace it.  

While I was looking at the probes while packing the old unit up, I measured the male part of the jack and it's 3.5 mm

I have a Maverick thermometer/probes and it's 2.5 mm.

So I searched Amazon and found an adapter. ($6)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017CBSAFQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A26SKYU6EEPEEF&psc=1

and then some probes for the Maverick.($20)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVQHTUQ/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3K8JLEVWSV4XD

has anyone tried using this kind of setup?   If not, I'll be posting back on results.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:17 AM, JoeMathis said:

Contacted KJ, they are going to warranty replace it.  

While I was looking at the probes while packing the old unit up, I measured the male part of the jack and it's 3.5 mm

I have a Maverick thermometer/probes and it's 2.5 mm.

So I searched Amazon and found an adapter. ($6)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017CBSAFQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A26SKYU6EEPEEF&psc=1

and then some probes for the Maverick.($20)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVQHTUQ/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3K8JLEVWSV4XD

has anyone tried using this kind of setup?   If not, I'll be posting back on results.

Cant speak to your set up specifically but i've found that mixing and matching probes and devices rarely delivers accurate readings as each manufactuer calibrates thier own probs and recievers differently.

For example, i think the probes on my Thermoworks Smoke are some of the best on the market but they are either wildly in accurate when used in a thermo other than my Smoke or simply dont display a reading at all, so I cant use them on my pit controller even though they fit.

Edited by Polar Bear