Sign in to follow this  
In2Fish

Pork Loin (& bacon) Italian Sausage, Hot or Sweet.

Pork Loin (& bacon) Italian Sausage, Hot or Sweet.

As part of the June 2018 pizza challenge, I wanted to make my own Italian sausage.  I’ve made other types of sausage (fresh and semi-dried) over the past few years, but never Italian Sausage.  After a little internet searching for ideas, I found a baseline recipe and modified it from there.

“They” say homemade is better than store bought, and this is truly the case for this Italian Sausage.  Not sure I will buy store bought again…

The original recipe called for pork shoulder, I went with pork loin, and then added uncured bacon to add some fat and flavor to the mix.  Also I’m not a fan of whole fennel, so I put it in the spice grinder.   Well worth it….

2 Pounds Pork Loin

12 Oz uncured bacon ( it was apple smoked for reference )

0.6 oz salt

2 cloves garlic, finely minced/crushed, almost paste like.

2 Tablespoons fennel seeds, toasted (about 4-5 minutes), then ground in a spice grinder.

2 teaspoons dried marjoram

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 Tablespoons crushed red pepper flake (more if you like it hotter) of hot Italian sausage

¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (of hot Italian sausage)

Dice/cube the pork loin, about 1 inches pieces or a little smaller.  Cut up the bacon into lardons, 1/2 inch or smaller strips.

Combine all the ingredients, well mixed, in a bowl.

Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours, or up to 2 days.  (overnight worked great)

Working in 3 or so batches, using your food processor to “grind” the pork, about 10 or so 1-2 second pulses. Or use your meat grinder’s ¼ plates and grind away….

Stuff in to casing, or simply cook as desired.

DSCN3710.JPG

DSCN3711.JPG

DSCN3714.JPG

DSCN3788.JPG

DSCN3791.JPG

DSCN3792.JPG

DSCN3797.JPG

Wow don't know how I missed this before, looks like your sausage came out good.  I want to try my hand at making different sausages one day.  Just need to find the time.

58 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Wow don't know how I missed this before, looks like your sausage came out good.  I want to try my hand at making different sausages one day.  Just need to find the time.

This one is well worth trying