Sign in to follow this  
Rob_grill_apprentice

Sourdough pizza and wings

My two boys made special request, they wanted pizza and hot wings.     I made 5 lbs Asian style sriracha hot wings, and 5 lbs sweet& Smokey bbq sauce wings and two 14” medium sourdough crust pizza.   

9F93A9F1-125B-4C7E-AA87-16608BAED21B.jpeg

1E248E49-CAC8-4E44-AF58-CBE34924BBD2.jpeg

0B5094B1-8022-4654-A337-F3D7903B82F3.jpeg

3 hours ago, Panchango said:

The food looks great.

Does it take much effort to keep the starter alive and viable?

It not too much work but 8 oz starter gets removed everyday then 4 oz bread flour goes in followed by 4 oz of water 75-90F gets added and then mixed then container gets covered with coffee filter.    If one of my coworkers wants starter I will use about 1/2 cup of what starter was removed before feeding then put in plastic container and the feed same way with 4 oz bread flour and 4 oz water mixed and next day I deliver to coworker and give them instructions for keeping alive.  

On 6/18/2018 at 6:08 PM, Panchango said:

Does it take much effort to keep the starter alive and viable?

As @Rob_grill_apprentice said, it is rather easy.  And if you're not actively using your culture, I park mine in the frig and feed it every 3-4 weeks.

When you do remove starter to keep feeding, you can also use the "discard" culture for other cooks, RoseMary Sourdough crackers are tasty!

On 6/16/2018 at 11:40 PM, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

two 14” medium sourdough crust pizza

So uh.... where's the pizza challenge entry posting...?   come on you did make a nice looking pizza!

1 hour ago, In2Fish said:

When you do remove starter to keep feeding, you can also use the "discard" culture for other cooks, RoseMary Sourdough crackers are tasty!

1 hour ago, In2Fish said:

As @Rob_grill_apprentice said, it is rather easy.  And if you're not actively using your culture, I park mine in the frig and feed it every 3-4 weeks.

About once a week I will either make my sourdough walnut and Craisin’s Loaf or sourdough pizza dough.  I usually throw out starter I have removed.  Once in awhile I will put in my compost bucket but I have to be careful and not put too much moisture in my compost bucket.  I have never tried making sourdough crackers.

On 6/18/2018 at 9:46 PM, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

It not too much work but 8 oz starter gets removed everyday then 4 oz bread flour goes in followed by 4 oz of water 75-90F gets added and then mixed then container gets covered with coffee filter.    If one of my coworkers wants starter I will use about 1/2 cup of what starter was removed before feeding then put in plastic container and the feed same way with 4 oz bread flour and 4 oz water mixed and next day I deliver to coworker and give them instructions for keeping alive.  

13 hours ago, In2Fish said:

Thanks.  I actually started the process yesterday.   It seemed like the logical next step. 

10 hours ago, In2Fish said:

Made a batch of sourdough crackers last night with discarded starter.   I used tarragon instead of rosemary.   I like the taste of the sourdough crackers.