Trixie

Where do you place your Akorn Jr while grilling?

Considering the height of the Jr, I’m thinking that I’d like to raise it up some.  I don’t want to spend more on a stand than I did on the grill though.  So what do y’all do?

20 minutes ago, Trixie said:

Considering the height of the Jr, I’m thinking that I’d like to raise it up some.  I don’t want to spend more on a stand than I did on the grill though.  So what do y’all do?

This will only be a problem until you realize how much you love kamado cooking and get yourself a full size kamado.... ;)

But in the meantime, how permanent of a setup are you looking to do?  I keep mine in the garage, and usually just use it on the ground when I'm at home.

My buddy at work repurposed a crate for us to use as a stand out there for work Akorn Jr.... but if he's not there to drag it out I usually just go with the ground.

Some people have extended the legs with PVC.  

I have a deck box under my deck by my ground level patio that I keep my grill gear in - grates and stones and such.  If I used Akorn Jr. down there I would probably fish out whatever I needed from the deck box and set it on there.

Oh.... and I do have my BGE mini on a wire cart I got at Sam's Club and used bolt cutters to cut a hole in the top of.  You can put the shelves at whatever level, so it was easy to make it work.  I'll see if I can find a picture of that.  I can just wheel it in and out of my garage.  I think it was around $40 and again, you can stash stuff on the lower shelves.

Ok - here's the pics - not the best but you get the idea.  It's not terribly pretty, but it is functional and was cheap and I was able to do it myself.  Bolt cutters are cheap if you don't have a set... and come in handier than one might think from time to time... lol.  (Best not to ask me to elaborate on that.)

IMG_8087.thumb.JPG.48d90493bdad0373b78e19433d16a41f.JPG

IMG_8100.thumb.JPG.556516b43ad7ac6b6859e0995f844645.JPG

1 hour ago, Trixie said:

That’s fantastic! I love it. Truly it is what I was looking for. 

‘Now, about those bolt cutters.... :D

Ummm.... let’s just say that no one got arrested and leave it at that... ;)