DrSmoke

New KJ classic II, latch problem

My latch does not overlay enough underneath to hold and it just pops open. These two other parts were in the envelope and I know they may be part of the latch but can't figure out how to attach

or how they will help with not enough hook to keep latch closed. My latch just pops open as it barely hooks underneath

Thank you in advance for any advice

Even without it latching I was able to use my KJ for an awesome seared prime ribeye and an apple wood 'smoked' whole chicken

fullsizeoutput_4efe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f00.jpeg

Looks like you have a case of underbite.  I'd call KJ Customer service about that.  The pieces you have do go into the latch and allow adjustment of how tight the lid seals, but would still need better lid/base alignment.  Which I'm not sure how to fix so I won't guess.  

I'd also suggest posting for help in the KJ Facebook group; although not an official support platform there are many very knowledgable and helpful people there.  Kamado Joe Grilling, Smoking and more

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.  My KJ Classic II had the same problem.  The latch only attached to a small sliver of the lid lip.    Kamado Joe support was lame...they just gave me a link to the manual.  Clearly it is a manufacturing defect.  The latches have a bump on each side that limits travel.  I used a dremel and ground down most of the mounds so that the latch would have more travel.  It worked perfectly, now covering the lip completely.

Disappointed with the lack of support from Kamado Joe.

1 hour ago, themishmosh said:

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.  My KJ Classic II had the same problem.  The latch only attached to a small sliver of the lid lip.    Kamado Joe support was lame...they just gave me a link to the manual.  Clearly it is a manufacturing defect.  The latches have a bump on each side that limits travel.  I used a dremel and ground down most of the mounds so that the latch would have more travel.  It worked perfectly, now covering the lip completely.

Did you call Kamado Joe?  Did you follow up with them after getting an email that didn’t fix your problem to your satisfaction?  Or did you just take a dremel to your $1k grill?  Dr Smoke please don’t follow mishmosh example.   Please call Kamado Joe. Just my 2 cents. 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:11 PM, DrSmoke said:

My latch does not overlay enough underneath to hold and it just pops open. These two other parts were in the envelope and I know they may be part of the latch but can't figure out how to attach

or how they will help with not enough hook to keep latch closed. My latch just pops open as it barely hooks underneath

Thank you in advance for any advice

Even without it latching I was able to use my KJ for an awesome seared prime ribeye and an apple wood 'smoked' whole chicken

fullsizeoutput_4efe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4f00.jpeg

1 hour ago, themishmosh said:

19 minutes ago, Phatman said:

Did you call Kamado Joe?  Did you follow up with them after getting an email that didn’t fix your problem to your satisfaction?  Or did you just take a dremel to your $1k grill?  Dr Smoke please don’t follow mishmosh example.   Please call Kamado Joe. Just my 2 cents. 

Check out page 31 if the manual in the link below. 

https://www.kamadojoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/KJO_Owners-Manual_2017_English.pdf

It’s definitely a Manufacturing defect. (i) My bottom hinged latch is warped to the left, and (ii) the bottom latch doesn’t travel toward the Joe far enough to hook the top latch.

To solve the first issue, I just loosened the nuts on the bottom latch’s bracket and rotated the entire bracket clockwise as much as possible to compensate, then tightened it back up.

To solve the second problem, I used a metal file to remove some metal where the traveling latch was contacting its own bracket prematurely, which then allowed it to travel further inward. Now the top latch grabs about 50% of the bolt bolt that’s meant to hold it in place, which is enough.

Customer service could have sent me a new piece, but it took 5 minutes to fix and I’m impatient. Doesn’t harm the product.

19 hours ago, DanielJoe said:

It’s definitely a Manufacturing defect. (i) My bottom hinged latch is warped to the left, and (ii) the bottom latch doesn’t travel toward the Joe far enough to hook the top latch.

To solve the first issue, I just loosened the nuts on the bottom latch’s bracket and rotated the entire bracket clockwise as much as possible to compensate, then tightened it back up.

To solve the second problem, I used a metal file to remove some metal where the traveling latch was contacting its own bracket prematurely, which then allowed it to travel further inward. Now the top latch grabs about 50% of the bolt bolt that’s meant to hold it in place, which is enough.

Customer service could have sent me a new piece, but it took 5 minutes to fix and I’m impatient. Doesn’t harm the product.

If it's truly bent you might still want to file a warranty claim. That way if the latch breaks you have a new one ready to go.