Anyone tried it, started it currently on it? I don't do Facebook as  I hear that there are many Keto Groups on it. 

Would be great to hear some ideas, recipes and such from us that smoke or grill. Beer carbs is a toughie, so I am into flavored fizzy water and vodka.

-have googled some stuff for background info.

I am in the beginning stages and so far so good-habit changes and traditional food thinking changes are the big challenge.

M.

I did this hardcore years ago for medical reasons (blood sugar). After two weeks my sugar levels went from dangerously high to dangerously low and I had to reintroduce small amounts of carbohydrates to normalize. That first tortilla tasted like a candy bar. I found it's like a lot of metabolism diets, they make you feel crappy for a bit, then they make you feel great when your body adjusts, then they can do some damage if they're not right for your particular body chemistry and activity level.

I have to stay on a sort-of-keto diet pretty much all the time and find it works best if I eat plenty of vegetables; actually one of the best combinations I found was drinking tons of homemade green juice with low fruit content and eating occasional steaks.

By the way steak au poivre was about all I ate during the hardcore phase, and it's really good and not difficult. I suppose you could make it on a kamado but there's no reason to; it's best in a steel saute pan. Heavily season a steak with hand crushed black peppercorns and kosher salt, sear both sides in butter, set it aside. Deglaze the pan with brandy and add heavy cream, stir until it's all nut-brown. Throw in broccoli florets (can use whatever vegetables you like, but broccoli is great for keto), cook them in the cream sauce. Re-add the steak briefly to coat. Let rest a couple of minutes and go to town.

@Ogopogo thanks. You verify what I suspected-going to a sort of "crash" diet (never hear those words these days) has some pitfalls. I want to eliminate belly fat that is starting to become a factor on the outcome of my physicals and the included blood tests.

I have a coworker who I trust implicitly who has alluded to the fact that  ketosis can been difficult and demanding. He is a veteran keto dieter but has stalled out and is on a plateau of sorts.

-gonna check out the steak au poivre dish.

Thanks.

M.

The thing you want to look up is ketoacidosis, which is where you go too far and stuff starts shutting down. Lots of people rave about keto like it's an amazing weight loss and lifestyle breakthrough, but really it's a side effect of an emergency survival process where you burn fats for energy because you have no carbs available. Keep in mind the Atkins diet was originally designed to control blood sugar levels in diabetics, but you lost weight while eating steak as a side effect and that's where the big infomercial money was.

Still, there's plenty of people who do it and aren't dropping dead from kidney failure. Please talk to your doctor and learn to enjoy peeing on test strips if you're planning on going hardcore.

I converted almost 15 years ago to a hybrid diet.  I started with the idea of Paleo and tweaked it to cut carbs and add fat.  I say converted because it needs to be a life style change and in order to stick with it you need to feel free and have options.  I have lost and kept off over 40 pounds (with a little gain back for a few years there but I'm back on message).  

Here is what I do:

Practice "net carbs"

Avoid starchy veggies

No sweet fruits like bananas, apples etc

Early I target 20 grams of carbs a day

Buy keto stix to monitor your ketones, an indicator that you are in ketosis and burning fat as your primary fuel source.  I target moderate levels, if they go too high it's bad for me.  Stay that way for a few months adjusting carbs to maintain moderate ketone levels and the weight will melt away.

Fat intake is important for this to work, perfect for me because I love cheese and meat ( remember I said modified Paleo).  Plenty of eggs, bacon, beef, pork, dark chicken meat etc.  

For rice substitute look to califlower, for potato's substitute look to califlower, cabbage is your best friend.  Can't get enough leafy greens many ways, fried with onion and bacon is awesome or in a salad (with cheese, meat and full fat dressing).  Stir fry is a great one.

It's best to make everything but if you buy stuff READ labels.  

Last but not least, at my last physical my HDL was 88 and triglycerides 54, TTL 188.  I don't worry about the fat, I do eat nuts daily.  It works, even knocked 2 points off my a1c.  Talk to your doctor.  I have lots of recipes if you want some ideas but I think I tossed alot you way, good luck!

14 hours ago, philpom said:

I have lots of recipes if you want some ideas but I think I tossed alot you way, good luck!

Thanks for the candid info.

-been doing some soul searching if you will, and I will lean heavily to many Keto concepts, I feel I will end up on a hybrid plan as well.

BTW I already use one of your recipes-stuffed pork loin supreme-been making that 2-3 times a month for a few years now-just never realized the fit into my modified Keto diet.:)

M.

I've been on a similar diet for the last 12 weeks

I'm reluctant to say I'm on a "Keto" diet as I'm yet to check if I'm actually in Ketosis, although I am trying to keep my carb intake to under 20gr per day

I've cut out all the Carb heavy foods as well as sugar and no alcohol of any kind during the week and have noticed good results

I'm also intermittent fasting between 8pm and Midday each day, but that's more from my habit of skipping breakfast rather than anything deliberate

Having started at a weight of 130kg I am now down to 115kg

This will be the first week since starting the diet that I've not noticed any real weight loss, so its possible I have stalled, but i'll be waiting a week or so to see if that's the case before introducing some moderate exercise

I feel pretty good and have been enjoying the change in diet

Giving up bread and beer was the hardest for me but now that I've gotten into the mindset, its not so bad

I feel like I could keep this up long term as I enjoy cream, steak and cheese more than bread, but i'll wait til my next 6 monthly physical before deciding how long to stick to this diet

I'd like to get to sub 100kg at some point, but I've learned from previous experience that double digits is difficult for me to get to and even harder to maintain, guess we'll see

The challenges are many. Lots of the diet plan people talk about having those near to you as support. OK fine.-to a point.  Ex. taking your daughter out for a nicer birthday dinner always elicits some comments like "why are you not eating any cake? It's your daughters birthday for gosh sake". What's this crazy diet plan your on? That usually comes from someone who I perceive as wishing they had my will power. (if they only knew)

I have learned not to mention my dietary concerns outside of my wife or M.D..

Or the family get together and someone is offended you are not eating "the candied yams", or drinking sweet tea etc. etc.

My compromise is to load up the low carb stuff, take a helping of the high carb stuff, eat some tasty fatty foods, eat one bite and say, "that is sooooo good, wish I could eat more but I am stuffed. Then exit to the restroom to avoid any more comments.

I have found that modified Moscow Mules or plain Vodka and soda with a squirt of liquid drink mix (if at home) can be a decent low carb alcoholic drink.

M.

On 6/19/2018 at 2:27 PM, Ogopogo said:

The thing you want to look up is ketoacidosis, which is where you go too far and stuff starts shutting down.

Ketoacidosis is highly unlikely to occur in anyone non-diabetic.  It is a side-effect of poorly managed diabetes, not from the keto diet.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ketosis-vs-ketoacidosis

For some good general keto / LCHF info, two sites I recommend (as well as getting great food ideas) are:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

https://www.ruled.me/

This site is more for diabetics, but also has a TON of great information on LCHF,  some free meal plan guides etc.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/

Thanks for posting the links.  There is so much online just by typing the word Keto. These narrow those down.

Fortunately I am not in a diabetic way and was not aware of ketoacidosis either.  I have read the Keto diet was a treatment option for epilepsy.

I am curious why I read the weight loss articles relative to Keto, and see no references to exercise.  Exercise and weight loss are usually mentioned in the same sentence. The only words I have read are the different levels of Keto dieting based on exercise level. I.e some who are highly active, much like being in training for some sport, can move in and out of ketosis. Then out they can binge if you will on carbs then move back to ketosis.

Another topic that is getting some talk is fasting.  Yikes.

I have seen some of the  Keto food suggestions and tried them out. One was the Olive Oil in coffee. That was funky.

M.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, mike echo said:

The challenges are many. Lots of the diet plan people talk about having those near to you as support. OK fine.-to a point.  Ex. taking your daughter out for a nicer birthday dinner always elicits some comments like "why are you not eating any cake? It's your daughters birthday for gosh sake". What's this crazy diet plan your on? That usually comes from someone who I perceive as wishing they had my will power. (if they only knew)

I have learned not to mention my dietary concerns outside of my wife or M.D..

Or the family get together and someone is offended you are not eating "the candied yams", or drinking sweet tea etc. etc.

My compromise is to load up the low carb stuff, take a helping of the high carb stuff, eat some tasty fatty foods, eat one bite and say, "that is sooooo good, wish I could eat more but I am stuffed. Then exit to the restroom to avoid any more comments.

I've actually found the easiest way to skirt diet questions from friends and family is to simply tell them I've quit eating sugar.

It could be an Australian thing, but that usually satisfies peoples curiosity and shuts the questions down. Its not 100% accurate but it does answer the "why aren't you eating cake?" questions pretty easily in a way that most people can understand.

Trying to explain the concept of High Fat, Low Carb to a normal person is a fools errand as they're usually so indoctrinated into the idea that Low Fat= Weight Loss that you may as well be speaking Chinese to them when you talk about Fat Adapted Ketosis

Having to stack my plate in a certain way and then sneak off to the bathroom to avoid questions seems like way more effort than keeping up with the actual diet

On 6/19/2018 at 6:50 PM, philpom said:

I converted almost 15 years ago to a hybrid diet.  I started with the idea of Paleo and tweaked it to cut carbs and add fat.  I say converted because it needs to be a life style change and in order to stick with it you need to feel free and have options.  I have lost and kept off over 40 pounds (with a little gain back for a few years there but I'm back on message).  

Here is what I do:

Practice "net carbs"

Avoid starchy veggies

No sweet fruits like bananas, apples etc

Early I target 20 grams of carbs a day

Buy keto stix to monitor your ketones, an indicator that you are in ketosis and burning fat as your primary fuel source.  I target moderate levels, if they go too high it's bad for me.  Stay that way for a few months adjusting carbs to maintain moderate ketone levels and the weight will melt away.

Fat intake is important for this to work, perfect for me because I love cheese and meat ( remember I said modified Paleo).  Plenty of eggs, bacon, beef, pork, dark chicken meat etc.  

For rice substitute look to califlower, for potato's substitute look to califlower, cabbage is your best friend.  Can't get enough leafy greens many ways, fried with onion and bacon is awesome or in a salad (with cheese, meat and full fat dressing).  Stir fry is a great one.

It's best to make everything but if you buy stuff READ labels.  

Last but not least, at my last physical my HDL was 88 and triglycerides 54, TTL 188.  I don't worry about the fat, I do eat nuts daily.  It works, even knocked 2 points off my a1c.  Talk to your doctor.  I have lots of recipes if you want some ideas but I think I tossed alot you way, good luck!

Excellent post !!!!

@philpom.  Thanks again for your post and the others too. Years of doing some dietary habits correctly, reinforced by  bad dietary habits have made me what you might call a dietary "hardhead".

Got the net carbs down now, ordered up some Keto Stix and now wrestling with an old nemesis-portion control.

Setting up new eating habits are in progress.

Overall I am very positive with the changes I have made-set some goals so I stay on track until the changes become a permanent mindset-that's the part where being a dietary hard head will serve me well.

Pulled pork, no bun,  hint of mustard and some above ground greens has been a starter as well.

M.

I've been flirting with keto diet myself and after reading quite a bit one thing to remember is that you have to intake more fat (a lot more) than protein or you develop a glucose thing that kills off the keto.

Also, single serving of protein should be about the size of a deck of cards, so there goes hogging a ton of brisket or pork at one sitting.

I guess the simple answer may be bacon, it comes with it's own fat bomb.

Biggest hurdle for me is trying to figure out the proper ratio of each component compared to the next such as how many strips of bacon to how many eggs and how much avocado, cheese or coconut oil to 4 ounces of beef, chicken, etc...etc..

I don't want to just copy meal plans from the websites, I would rather develop the skills to quickly figure out how to proportion what may or may not be in my fridge/freezer at any given time.