40 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

I've been flirting with keto diet myself and after reading quite a bit one thing to remember is that you have to intake more fat (a lot more) than protein or you develop a glucose thing that kills off the keto.

Also, single serving of protein should be about the size of a deck of cards, so there goes hogging a ton of brisket or pork at one sitting.

I guess the simple answer may be bacon, it comes with it's own fat bomb.

Biggest hurdle for me is trying to figure out the proper ratio of each component compared to the next such as how many strips of bacon to how many eggs and how much avocado, cheese or coconut oil to 4 ounces of beef, chicken, etc...etc..

I don't want to just copy meal plans from the websites, I would rather develop the skills to quickly figure out how to proportion what may or may not be in my fridge/freezer at any given time.

Everyone is different and you are right, there are technically proper ratios of fat/protein/carbs for a strict keto diet.  I never worried about that, I just kept my carbs low, focused on lots of low carb veggies and ate all the fatty things I wanted. I never planned on downloading the "keto plan" and following it.  I wanted something I could actually live with long term.   What matters is the color you see on your ketostick :) .  Your body does convert protein into a form of sugar and too much can interfere, true again.

With respect to portions, I personally eat until I am satisfied.  I noticed that without the carbs you don't go through typical hunger patterns (this can take some time to happen).  I don't eat breakfast during the week and seldom on the weekend.  I just don't get hunger pains like I once did.  Mrs philpom can get cranky when I forgot to consider lunch while out running errands all day because I just don't always get hungry.  When I was in serious weight loss mode I sometimes had to tell myself, "ok, you need to eat even if you aren't hungry."  

This serves to automatically control your portion sizes.

Here's an example of what I need for pretty much everything, outside of the dreaded carb loaded foods.

Breakfast example totals and broken down, so now I know what four pieces of bacon add and that the cream is required to get the fat/protein ratio right.

761 Calories, 68.15g Fats, 3.68g Net Carbs, and 32.77g Protein.

Keto Breakfast: Bacon & Eggs Calories Fats(g) Carbs(g) Fiber(g) Net Carbs(g) Protein(g)
3 large eggs, room temperature 214 14.27 1.08 0 1.08 18.84
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream 267 28.34 2.15 0 2.15 2.23
1 tablespoon butter 102 11.52 0.01 0 0.01 0.12
4 slices bacon 178 14.02 0.44 0 0.44 11.58
Totals 761 68.15 3.68 0 3.68 32.77

On 6/29/2018 at 10:09 AM, philpom said:

.  Your body does convert protein into a form of sugar and too much can interfere, true again.

This has been a factor for me. I am trying out an app called Cronometer which gives good breakdowns of what has been consumed.

It is receptive to all kinds of diet plans and it will accept a custom set up. Not trying to push it, but it helps.

If you Google Keto diets, one can read read some Keto stuff that is UBER strict.  Ruled.me is a sensible site to me. I can only envision those UBER strict people on a life raft for 60 days and still unhappy. LOL.

A Keto diet strictly followed is a bit much for me so I am modifying as @philpom talks abut. I am losing weight just not super fast.

M.

So far I don't mind, in fact I love, eating 75% fat-20% protein-5% carb meals.

Good thing there are so many ready made meals on the net to choose from.

Did I say I like bacon? And eggs? And cheese?

I'm trying to figure out how to add fat to smoked meat meals I already have in the freezer, or should I say how much fat to add.

Smoked brisket is almost pure protein but baby backs come closer to the ideal keto ratio.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:13 AM, Chasdev said:

after reading quite a bit one thing to remember is that you have to intake more fat (a lot more) than protein or you develop a glucose thing that kills off the keto.

An update of sorts.

I have been wrestling with the glucose "thing". I have eaten too much protein and that sets me back.  The Cronometer app has been helping me sort out meals for a lesser amount of protein. This is my particular idea for my modified Keto diet.

I exercise a fair amount either walking 60-90 mins or bicycle rides of 60 90 mins. deducting time spent coasting off the total time. 4-5 times per week. I use a resistance band for upper body toning. I would do more workouts but my recovery time is not what it used to be.

I use a heart rate monitor for both bicycling and walking, targeting 65%-75% max HR for my fat burning zone.

With that said, two things:  exercising during a fast helps with burning fat for energy. I usually fast from about 1900-1100 the next day. I do drink coffee with half and half in the morning. Many articles I have read promote fat intake only if you intrude on a fast,  to encourage the metabolism to continue to burn fat for energy. Still testing this out on my body.

My post exercise habit for many years was to carb load and protein load to for I what liked to think as a help toward muscle recovery. That really meant over eating and distorting my dietary  intake numbers for the entire day in many categories in one "recovery meal.

The Uber Keto people frown on any alcohol intake, but a coworker of mine showed me some articles endorsing Vodka being okay for no carbs-so I sometimes do a modified Moscow mule cocktail sometimes as I fire up the KJ.

M.

Keep us posted!  I also like to "self experiment" on this type of stuff.  Similar to you, I've been maintaining coffee/cream in the AM and still do too much red wine.  I easily lost 30 pounds, but have totally stalled out at just over 200...can't seem to break that barrier, and would really love to get down to 185.

One thing...just read a recent article about the benefits of Intermittent Fasting being stalled if you take in ANYTHING other than pure water during your fast period.  This includes black coffee, herbal tea etc...reason being is that your body still has to process these, which cancels out at least some of the IF benefits.  Challenging for me...but I'm thinking of trying that next...or trying an extreme fat fast to try break this stall.

Don't discount nuts, I eat them every day.  (not all nuts are created equal and peanuts are legumes)

Raw Walnuts:

1 serving - 18 grams fat; 4 grams carbs (2 net); 4 grams protein

Raw Almonds:

1 serving - 14 grams fat; 6 grams carbs (2 net);  6 grams protein

Raw Pecans:

1 serving - 20 grams fat;  4 grams carbs (1 net);  3 grams protein

And....  these are high quality fats

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, philpom said:

Don't discount nuts, I eat them every day.  (not all nuts are created equal and peanuts are legumes)

Macadamias are the bomb for keto. Expensive but you can get them a bit more reasonably at Costco.

Sorry I missed this thread!  I have had moderate success with low carb diets (Atkins) in the past. In June I tried again with a Keto diet with a better understanding of the FULL BALANCE  of micro and macro nutrients and not just cutting carbs. I have been way more successful now that I control protein as well as carbs as I was eating way too much of it in the past. 

The key is to figure out how much protein you need based on your lean muscle mass and activity level, and make sure you get enough but not too much. Also try to limit intake to 20-30 grams per sitting and not eat your full days worth at once. I have been using the Looseit app to track but there are others.  The use of the app and controlling protein as well as net carbs, fiber, and other nutrients has been the key to success for me.  It is more work, but it is worth it. 

Results?  The first 3 days were rough, but since then I have felt MUCH better. I am way less tired and have more energy and I am noticeably happier and reacting better to stress etc.  I am not hungry or having cravings and often have to make myself eat to get enough calories. As far as weight loss, I went from 240 at the beginning of June to 214 this morning.  I plan to go a few more months, and then carefully add back healthy sources of carbs like berries and limited whole grains to level off and maintain.  

I will I’ll post more about foods over time, but kamado grilled chicken thighs, sous vide salmon, and various forms of beef make up a lot of my protein.  Also Memphis style dry rubbed ribs, pulled pork without sweet sauce, sous vide pork tenderloin, and smoked brisket without sauce.   Certain nuts are a great snack. Coconut oil is a regular. Chia seeds are an amazing source of fiber without carbs and I eat them in various ways. 

Eating out can can be tough, but I can usually find a salad with protein that works.

I have found a friend in Almond butter. I take a Tsp. or so portion when I feel like sugar. I depend on it in the morning with coffee and half and half.

So on the lighter side....I am not on Facebook. My Wife is. So out of curiosity, I joined her up to a Keto Diet group-so I could read up. Her comments have been hilarious-especially about the people who post about fasting 48, hours or more with pictures.  The wife is careful with her eating and is not obese but she does like her food. Not prudent to include some of her livelier comments on this venue. One can use their imagination.

I don't bother with it anymore but she said no to quitting the group.