Keto Diet

mike echo

The great thing about "casual Keto" is that you don't have to work out, just set your macros low enough and the lbs come off.

There's a bunch of calculator robots online where you input your age, sex, weight and body mass index, then put in a percent of weight loss you are aiming for.

Got a coworker who lost #40 since he started Keto dieting in February. Told me he stalled out at #40 with no extra excercise but is not sure if he needs to start excercising, maybe look at some areas he could improve on, no excercise. He was fasting frequently when I last spoke to him. Not sure if that's his solution.

M.

My understanding is that it works like this..your body consumes a certain amount of energy just sitting still, any amount of energy less than that amount will cause weight loss.

Keto causes you to switch from burning carbs to burning stored fat BUT if calorie intake is too high (which is very easy to attain with keto diet fat levels) you stall or even gain.

Eating fat shuts off the hunger impulse so you should consume less in a given setting than if addicted to carbs.

Yep, the main benefits of keto are getting your body into a fat burning metabolism and reducing hunger and cravings. You still need to burn more calories than you eat, and there are minimum safe calorie levels where you are likely to get all the nutrients you should be. Interval fasting can help a bit if you have plateaus, but adding exercise is extremely helpful. You don’t need to be a gym rat, just adding a walk of 2-3 miles per day which should take 40 minutes to an hour, maybe less, will make a huge difference. As you get lighter and more fit you can up the intensity or expand the workouts, but by far the number one exercise for people who have lost significant weight and held it off for 5+ years is walking. 

What got me going was just wanting to feel better and be healthier. I’ve never been in bad shape, medically, but always carried around some extra weight. I found Keto to be something I can do on the regular without much sacrifice; I love that I can eat most of the stuff I already ate and don’t miss the sweets as much as I thought I would. Last week I made some not so Keto choices but that’s ok. Today I started a 3 day Fat Fast and got through it without drifting off it, the first day is always the hardest so it’s all down hill from here. I’m hoping this will get me off a plateau and get me ready to add some gym time into the mix. Time will tell. 

Weighed in today and am down 15lbs and 1 belt notch; this is since mid June.

I only check my weight about once a week  and that may be too much as for me my weight can go up or down dramatically on a daily basis.

I do pay attention to the belt loop decline.

Excersise still reigns supreme as mentioned above. Walking is so good.

I have been experimenting and seem to find that if I excercise in a low carb state if you will,  fat burn is quicker.

The infomercial weight loss people probably would consider me an upstart,  but the addage eat less (pick your targets) excercise more (whatever you do) prevails-no matter what dietary plan for weight loss one chooses. And that addage is free.

M.

Congrats on the 15 off!  I actually take the opposite tack to weighing. I weigh every morning before eating or drinking anything to get the most consistent state I can, but also to see the ups and downs.  I can usually see the negative impact of even minor cheating, so the daily weigh in keeps me motivated and focused. 

I use my app which breaks down net carbs, protein fat etc.-to keep me honest.

If I get a notion to "cheat", I am in a sense lying twice.  Once to the app and once to myself.

I do "cheat", but I attempt to not "cheat big".

Too much "cheating" will bring the weight back-been there, done that.

M.

7 hours ago, mike echo said:

Excersise still reigns supreme as mentioned above. Walking is so good.

I have been experimenting and seem to find that if I excercise in a low carb state if you will,  fat burn is quicker.

Another key point is WHEN you exercise to offset food as well.  For example, going for a 20 minute walk, about 30 minutes AFTER a meal, will offset a rise in blood sugar that occurs from ingesting carbs/protein etc.  This will assist the overall process in keeping blood sugar/insulin levels low, which is key to the overall keto process.

• 2 weeks later...

Craving ice cream? Like sherbert (sherbet)? I used some plain Greek Yogurt (read the label first) with some liquid drink mix blended in. It was orange flavored Hi-C.

Stayed within my carb, fat and protein limits for the day.

Mildy wacky but tasty.

M.

https://www.businessinsider.in/miscellaneous/15-fitness-tips-that-are-doing-more-harm-than-good/slidelist/65389540.cms

Of note, the article originated from India. Sometimes it's good to a perspective other than from the inside out.

This article has lent me and my wife some clarity. The whole weight loss industry worldwide is so about making money via somebody's weight loss program. I would rather be into a healthy lifestyle. They never mention myths or how they embellish a factoid to promote their product.

So far for me and a modified Keto diet, I have come to realize too be real careful when it comes to carbs. -also keep any form of exercise efforts going. 

Now down 17 lbs.  Already plotting on how to keep it off.

M.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, mike echo said:

Craving ice cream? Like sherbert (sherbet)? I used some plain Greek Yogurt (read the label first) with some liquid drink mix blended in. It was orange flavored Hi-C.

Stayed within my carb, fat and protein limits for the day.

Mildy wacky but tasty.

M.

I've been making keto ice cream for a while; it's decent. 2 cups heavy cream, 1 can (2 cups) full fat coconut milk, about 20 little packets of Truvia (I make it less sweet than most ice creams so adjust to whatever, can also use Xylitol but it kills dogs so I don't keep it in the house), few drops of pure vanilla extract, frozen keto-friendly fruit (blackberries mostly). Mix the liquids together and dissolve the sweetener, chill for an hour in the freezer, throw it in the ice cream churn, process the berries and add them when the ice cream starts getting a little gloppy near the end of the churning. It will turn hard as a rock in the freezer afterwards because of the lack of actual sugar but it's still pretty great.

Anybody tried/using monk fruit sugar?

I love it, looks just like sugar, pretty darn sweet and no chemical taste whatsoever.

It dissolves in warm water quickly, I use it to make lemonade and can't tell it's not sugar.

7 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

Anybody tried/using monk fruit sugar?

I love it, looks just like sugar, pretty darn sweet and no chemical taste whatsoever.

It dissolves in warm water quickly, I use it to make lemonade and can't tell it's not sugar.

The problem is that ALL sweeteners, artificial or natural, will cause an insulin response which then causes a chain of negative reactions.  I have found it best and actually easiest (from a cravings perspective) to 100% avoid anything sweetened, no matter if it contains significant net carbs or not.