Keto Diet

mike echo

9 hours ago, Chasdev said:

Anybody tried/using monk fruit sugar?

I love it, looks just like sugar, pretty darn sweet and no chemical taste whatsoever.

It dissolves in warm water quickly, I use it to make lemonade and can't tell it's not sugar.

Yes. I like it. -gotta have something sweet in my coffee/or something else. No medical issues to contend with.

Avoidance does not fit my resolve.

My conviction is that: sweetener information is noted . But...:)

M.

Interesting...I avoid ALL sweeteners just because there is an immediate addictive effect for most people.  i.e.  as soon as you get anything sweet...it immediately triggers the desire for more.  I also find complete avoidance best.

Monk Fruit (just did a couple searches as it's one I've never looked at before) certainly looks promising, but my first search came up with the following:

Other cons to monk fruit sweeteners include:  Some monk fruit sweeteners contain other sweeteners such as dextrose. Depending on how the ingredients are processed, this may make the end product less natural. This may also impact its nutritional profile.

Mogrosides may stimulate insulin secretion. This may not be helpful for people whose pancreas is already overworking to make insulin.
They haven’t been on the U.S. scene very long. They’re not as well studied in humans as other sweeteners.

Will certainly be looking into Monk Fruit more for my wife who loves her sweets!

3 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

Interesting...I avoid ALL sweeteners just because there is an immediate addictive effect for most people.  i.e.  as soon as you get anything sweet...it immediately triggers the desire for more.  I also find complete avoidance best.

I also avoid all sweeteners, most are bad for you.  I did put a pinch of sugar in scrambled eggs for brinner tonight.  After backing off the sweets for awhile it seems to me that other foods start tasting sweet without added sugar/sweetener, you just need to let things settle.  If you spend 30 days in a bright room and then move to a dim room it seems really dark but eventually your eyes adjust...

If I am going to eat something sweet it's going to be full octane baby! 

9 hours ago, philpom said:

If I am going to eat something sweet it's going to be full octane baby! 

Me too. Made Lemon Bundt Cake from Magnolia Table, Joanna Gaines.

Just a bite but my wife and kids are obsessed with this cake.

One of the nicer cookbooks as she has made and tested her recipes many times over.

I'll plot a way to burn some calories to keep the calorie deficit going. Carb reduction will be a toughie today.:-o

Just getting started on Monk fruit sweetener as a tool,if I need it in my  quest. I anticipate that like most things now, there will be some words on why it is somehow detrimental. Usually never get some practical detail by the writers. Just negativity.

M.

Down 20 lbs. today. 

Extra long bicycle ride and a home made salad after that to undo some Bundt cake calories.

On the ride I thought about my sweetener history:

My mother used saccharine (remember that stuff) when she was pregnant with me. Obviously those alleged side affects have not manifested themselves....yet?:)

My sweetener history mostly color coded, each type a different color. White cane sugar; a bunch of different "in the raw" brown type sugars;  pink sweetener; yellow sweetener, light blue; then on to various greens, and now to orange (Monk fruit).

I do have some coconut sugar to experiment with.

M.

More monk fruit sugar info..

Like stevia and erythritol, monk fruit scores a zero on the glycemic index and may even have a stabilizing effect on blood sugar. Unlike stevia, monk fruit never has a bitter aftertaste. It’s also much sweeter than sugar, around 300 times, so a little goes a long way!

In addition, the sweetness of monk fruit comes from compounds known as mogrosides, which research has shown may inhibit tumor growth in pancreatic cancer .

There are no known health concerns from using monk fruit, as long as you avoid any monk fruit-based products with added carbs of fillers. The only real downside of monk fruit is that it’s more costly than stevia or erythritol and is not as widely available.

Wrong on that last point as Walmart on-line has a great price on it!

Edited by Chasdev

@Polar Bear.  I made a jerk sauce modification to a jerk pork recipe from Malcom Reed, <<< howtobbqright.com>>.

I do modified Keto, as I find full blown, all in Keto, too much of a struggle for me.

I used coconut sugar in place of regular sugar. The pineapple juice needs a label look to check for carbs. My juice was lower but still had some carbs.

Tossed the container I used but if you compare around,  you may find a pineapple juice lower in carbs.

I may try orange zest next time. - no clue on carbs in orange zest; guessing not many.

I did not use the pineapple bowl in the picture.

I saved and used the extra sauce a few times.  I used it it sparingly. I may have upped the carb count a little for the day,  but I offset that with a total calorie intake deficit-a bit more cardio calorie burn anticipating the carb intake. Calorie deficit in losing weight I suspect,  always will prevail, no matter what program is working for you.

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

I've had a real hankering for ribs of late but all the sauces is can either buy or make myself are very sugar heavy

Down 20 lbs. since mid June. 

M.

Not a huge fan of a diet that essentially eliminates Fruits and vegetables.
The lack of micro nutrients you dont intake by avoiding these foods is measurable and substantial.
Im ok with idea of limiting carbohydrates or even fats for the purpose of fatloss.
I find that any diet that eliminates carbohydrates is essentially setting that person, adhering to it, up for failure. 
I immediate inner cellular  water / glucose gain in weight from a single slip up will be enough to discourage any "dieter" that is simply ignorant of how the human body works. Its a slippery slope. 

7 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

On this topic

Has anyone managed to find a decent Keto friendly BBQ sauce recipie?

I've had a real hankering for ribs of late but all the sauces is can either buy or make myself are very sugar heavy

I just use my (home made) dry rub which only has a very small amount of brown sugar in it, and then use a very small amount of BBQ sauce diluted with apple cider vinegar and/or red wine as a basting liquid...and just keep it to a minimum.

A google search will find you many recipes for sugar-free BBQ sauce as well - or ones that use xylitol or stevia or something instead.

6 hours ago, 01lowbird said:

The lack of micro nutrients you dont intake by avoiding these foods is measurable and substantial.
Im ok with idea of limiting carbohydrates or even fats for the purpose of fatloss.
I find that any diet that eliminates carbohydrates is essentially setting that person, adhering to it, up for failure. 
I immediate inner cellular  water / glucose gain in weight from a single slip up will be enough to discourage any "dieter" that is simply ignorant of how the human body works. Its a slippery slope. 

If you think Keto eliminates fruits and vegetables, you don’t know enough about the diet to be commenting on it.  

12 hours ago, 01lowbird said:

I eat more vegetables now than i ever have

I just stay away from root and startchy veg

Lots of leafy greens, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage

I'm down 26kg (50 lbs?) since March on a semi keto (probably more low carb) diet

My diet is way more diverse now than it ever was

I dont count my macros regaurly, i just ensure my overall carb intake is around 20grams per day

Its been super easy and effective for me and is not somthing i dread living with.

I've just modified my eating habits and stay away from the obvious pit falls like excessive sugar and processed carbs/bad fats.

I feel like the diet is sustainable long term and thanks to my general lack of sweet tooth, i havent found myself hanging out for a cheat day.

Edited by Polar Bear