Keto Diet

mike echo

Yeah, pretty well a day does not go by where I do not see a news article, comment, or medical study commenting on "ketogenic" diets and they go on to talk or explain something that is not even close to actual reality of the diet.  I eat FAR more vegetables now than I ever had previously - I basically substitute green for white.  My biggest annoyance is the comment "you get no fibre" on that diet.  I just shake my head.

Today (for example)  I've eaten salad twice, a huge pile of sauteed brussel sprouts, cold vegetable plate with cucumber/mushrooms/broccoli/cauliflower with a couple great dips (full fat of course), and a nice BBQ pork chop (real fatty) with creamed spinach.

Oh yeah....have lost 30 pounds since January, blood pressure has dropped from 140/100 to 120/80, and doctor is amazed at great blood test results.  He thinks I'm on a "low fat" diet he recommended.  I could not eat low fat food all the time.  We still have cheat nights and do pizza etc, but keep those to special occasions etc.

My mother is a life long weight watchers member

She was even a Leader for a few years in the mid 2000's

Its really frustrating having a conversation about the ketogenic diet with her as it essentially flies in the face of everything shes ever thought about weight loss

When she tries to forward me an article about how bad what i'm doing is for my body i just send her the last weigh in i did and a copy of my last medical and blood work

Everything is good blood wise, my weight has dropped considerably, i'm not snoring anymore and i dont get "hangry" anymore.

I dont get the clarity of mind and boundless energy some people on the keto diet talk about, but i didnt get the keto flu either, so i'm happy.

Its not a diet i recomend to everyone i meet, but it has worked for me

8 hours ago, 01lowbird said:

Thats incorrect.

Your statement was so far from reality it wasn’t worth a detailed reply, and it seems like you are going to stubbornly hold on to your position despite any evidence, so there is no point in educating or debating you. 

For others reading this thread with a sincere interest to learn, a long term successful keto diet involves significant amounts of vegetables, and after the early stage the addition of moderate amounts of lower sugar fruits.  The fruits that work best also happen to be the ones that are nutrient dense so don’t buy into the ignorant fear mongering from those who don’t understand the diet, or the intentional FUD from those with a vested interest in discouraging it. 

No one diet is best for everyone, but a properly followed keto diet can be very effective for many people who need to lose weight. 

On 8/22/2018 at 4:07 PM, m-fine said:

No diet is best for everyone, ........................

So my takeaway is: the weight loss topic, in this case Ketogenic, is one that requires some due dligence. I.e educating oneself on every aspect of a topic. The weight loss topic becomes one of personal experience and change (weight loss) involves a significant emotional event no matter how weight loss is achieved.

All I am willing to put out there is, I have not heard of an argument disputing that burning more calories than what is required does not result in weight loss. How that happens is an individual journey-unless of course one disagrees with that concept.

My journey  involves a modified Ketogenic regime. No luck with other programs for unknown reasons.  So far, so good. Down 20 lbs. since mid June.

M.

As for me, I always remember the comments made by Dr. Balch (DVM, MD) many years ago.  He started as a veterinarian for the wealthiest of the "Kentucky horse trade," then became interested in human medicine – and, nutrition.  He linked "cribbing" (where a mineral-deprived horse will literally eat the wood of its stall), with junk-food "munchies."  He observed that the DVM program had several courses relating to nutrition while the MD program had one.

Therefore, I like to think that "no [one] 'diet' could possibly fit all."  And, that "no one else can tell you what will work for you[r body]."  Give yourself, at all times, "adequate nutrition" – most particularly in the morning – then observe what your body seems to be 'cribbing' for.  (Then, a few hours later, what it is still 'cribbing' for.")  Don't condemn your body for cribbing:  do whatever it says ... little by little. ("Tomorrow is another day.")

Be extremely wary of "soft drinks," which feature phosphoric acid.  Phosphorus naturally replaces Calcium and is then excreted, creating a shortage of Calcium to which your body naturally reacts.  Yes, "soft drinks are a 'drink' that actually makes you thirsty!"

I haven't had a television in my house for more than thirty years.  I haven't consumed a soft-drink in the same amount of time.  And I have never, and, will never, consume(d) a so-called "energy drink."

@MikeRobinson your resolve is super.  I only look at TV for classic movies, and a couple of series that have my attention. Soft drinks-judiciously.  Last time I drank an energy drink was about 10 years ago when I was bought a "Jager Bomb. I get what you are saying about cribbing. 

What's your take on the Keto diet fasting?

@Chasdev yeah my wife baked some sweets for me after I got home from a 4 day trip. So good.

M.

Down 22 lbs. now. Modified Keto. Tried fasting for 12 or so hours. Not really my thing.

The main trick is to NOT eat nachos, drink beer, then go to bed shortly later.

Still using the premise that burning more calories than required does work.:)

Try @philpom's pork loin supreme.

M.

although we haven't gone to the extreme of Keto, my wife and I have moved toward low carbohydrate foods. Both being individuals whose jobs require physical activity all day, the last thing you want to do (or have time for in many cases) is going somewhere for even more exercise. 

I have seen some phenomenal results in friends and family from Keto, and even though we aren't following it to a "t" Lowered carb intake and cutting out the "white foods" has led to weight loss, better sleep (when the baby allows us to sleep) and more energy.

Obviously diet doesn't replace exercise, however I do believe the greater majority of the population heavily carb loads whether they realise it or not.

Also have been doing low carb / ketoish diet for several years now. I don't like to call it keto since I don't actively monitor my carb intake.. I mostly avoid sugars and starchy foods as much as possible. I tend to stick to the 80/20 rule. I allow for light beers, potatoes, and the occasional bun on my burger 20% of the time but the other 80% I'm eating really well. I've pretty much maintained my weight.

A few years ago I did strict keto and kept my carb intake under 50g a day. I dropped about 20 lbs in six weeks. It's amazing what low carb can do! 

Been having nasty pains in my right side so back off Keto; going for a HIDA scan tomorrow because all my labs came back with levels negligibly above normal but nothing out of place. Bad gallbladders and fatty livers run in the family as does diabetes and pancreas trouble. Gotta love them genes. Hopefully they figure out what’s wrong and I can get back to losing the pounds. Down about 30 from last year and maintaining but I’d like to shed another 45. 

7 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

Bad gallbladders and fatty livers run in the family as does diabetes and pancreas trouble.

Hope the scan and lab tests yield some positive results.  

Family gene issues. I see them in my world and always am waiting for "the shoe to drop" and/or "the other shoe to drop".

M.