Keto Diet

mike echo

So intermittent fasting.... Hated the idea. Tried it out, 18 hours fasting, 6 hour not fasting-essentially lunch and dinner with no snacking.

This is working for me. I watch Dr. Eric Berg videos on You Tube. Informative stuff. I have adopted his approach of getting healthy as a 1st priority over weight loss.

So many myths have been dispelled by Berg.  He's not the end all. but is factual and backs that up. That fits into my conviction that not allowing a myth or "that's the way it's always been done" to allow for some great ways to not be narrow minded. Pretty deep stuff, eh?

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna work my way into one meal a day (OMD). This will satisfy weight loss goals but I am restoring my bodily functions to a better state too.

Why? Need to shed 15lbs more- hopefully by year end. Started at 252 Jun 2018. Today at 224.

I am confident that I could lose the 15 quick if I buckled down and swore off random carb splurges and alcoholic beverages. Alcohol, even no carb Vodka and Gin, slows weight loss as it interferes with the metabolism stuff. Got a sweet spot for exercise and food intake. That took some doing. Been eating a lot of wings either on the KJ or Rec Tec as a part of my plan.

M.

• 1 month later...

A little over 1 year in and my weight has dropped from 290lbs down to 205lbs

16 hours fasting and a semi strict keto diet did the trick.

Zero cheat days for close to 8 months and only a few low carb beers a week at a maximum.

Didnt change my exercise output but i work in a physically demanding job, so balancing my energy in vs energy out really did the trick

I've been dancing around the 205 mark for the better part of 3 months despite increasing my "cheat carb" and alcohol intake.

Keto and BBQ is a pretty decent combo assuming you can find/make rubs and sauces that dont mess with your macros (gotta love SPG)

I dont see myself introducing the really bad processed carbs into my diet in the future (bread, pasta and sugar are still off limits) but i've found the adjustment to my lifestyle pretty easy to manage

I'm lighter now than i've been in my Adult life (been over 220lbs since i was 14, i'm 33 now)

Its been fun, except for having to replace my entire wardrobe... 

My Doc told me he like to see me at 190. I was at 240. 57 yrs old. I looked at him and told him the last time I weighed 190 was in 8th grade. ( JUN 2018)

So like @Polar Bear, I do a modified Keto plan, indulge (cheat) here and there, have some low carb alcoholic drinks here and there, again.

I embrace a thoughtful fat, carb. and protein intake. I intermittent fast. I actually cut my exercise program way back-to a maintenance mode.

I like to think about fixing my sugar intake dependency, insulin resistant,  abused internal organs every day. Overcome the myths that have been ingrained in my brain over the years.. So far, so good.

I weigh myself about once a month and gauge my losses by belt loops- down 2 and 33 lbs. New pants and shorts. Reunion with some old clothes.

I am into stuffed burgers and stuffed pork loin on the KJ to name a couple of foods. They both fit my plan.

I read/watch videos/ try foods/ supplements a lot, and try out stuff that are proclaimed ways to help for better overall way of managing my body.

M. 

• 2 weeks later...

So trying out "proclaimed " stuff to optimize my liver functions. Beets. I can down some cooked beets OK.  Anyone have any, ways to eat either beets and/ or beet leaves.

Should I put some beets on my KJ and grill them?

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Back on Keto, 2 weeks in with only one mishap. Been using KetoChow meal replacement, intermittent fasting, and shooting for a cleaner way of eating. Dr. Ken D. Berry is on YouTube and has some great, clear cut, straight to the point, videos and is a board certified physician here in Tn so I trust his advice. He explains things in a way almost anyone can understand and he’s not selling anything so I believe he truly wants to help people. Lots of great info from him that has helped me approach this with better long term plans for sustainability.   

I have been on a keto diet for almost 2 years (Oct 2017).  I started experimenting with keto in Aug / Sept after watching Dr Sarah Holmberg's Tedx talk on reversing diabetes.  A little background, In July 2017 I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes.  My A1C was 5.7 in 2017.  In 2016, I had an NMR lipoprofile cholesterol test which also measures insulin resistance with the LP-IR test.  I measured a 58 that year where anything above 45 is insulin resistant and indicative of diabetes.  In 2016, I don't recall my doctor mentioning anything and I did not get my A1C tested that year.  I am 5' - 5" and weigh 128 pounds.  I have run either a half marathon, full marathon or both most years since 2011. So weight and exercise was not an issue.  I still weigh about the same but based on both calipers and the navy tape method, I have reduced body fat % especially around my waist since starting the keto diet.

For the first 6 or so months I was very strict.  Now I would estimate that 95+ % of my meals are keto. 

My clinical results are in

2016 my cholesterol was 267 total, ldl - 179, hdl - 69, tri - 96, tasted blood sugar (fbs) - not tested, A1c - not tested, LP-IR 58

2017 - Total - 218, ldl - 124, hdl - 67, tri - 135, fbs - 109, A1C - 5.7, LP - IR - not tested

2018 - Total - 237, ldl - 143, hdl - 83, tri - 54, fbs - 103, A1C - 5.1, LP - IR not tested

2019 - Total - 246, ldl - 141, hdl - 92, tri - 64, fibs - 110, A1C - 5.5, LP - IR 25

So my total cholesterol and ldl still run a little high, my triglycerides are down 50%, and my HDL is up 50%.  My doctor is very happy with my cholesterol numbers.  My fbs runs a little high.  I have found that if I eat a breakfast with zero carbs my blood sugar drops below 100 within one hour.  If I have carbs with breakfast my blood sugar will increase 20 to 40 points within 1 hour depending on the curbs.  Based on this, I only skip breakfast after "cheat" meals to return to Ketosis quicker.  When I skip breakfast, my blood sugar remains above 100 until I eat.    My A1C and LP-IR are both considered normal and I am no longer clinically considered pre-diabetic.

On a non-clinical level, I definitely feel more energetic when I am in Ketosis.  I don't really notice a difference with one cheat meal but if I have a cheat week (vacation) I can really feel a difference by the end of the week.

As far as alcohol goes, I have confirmed with testing that dry red and white wines do not affect my blood sugar nor do they kick me out of Ketosis, so my wife and I will split a bottle several times a week which is a couple of glasses each.

Sorry for the long post but for those of you with diabetes or pre-diabetes, I wanted to share my story especially since my positive results do not include weight loss or increased exercise so are strictly based on keto diet.  Weight loss and exercise have also been shown to be beneficial.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:13 AM, Chasdev said:

MY problem with poppers is that after the first 10, I get hungry and eat the rest!

Thats because jalapeños are too small. Make them with large Hatch peppers and you will have a hard time getting 10 down.