• 1 month later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Dr. told me  I needed to lose weight. After asking me what I typically ate for breakfast,  lunch, and dinner, he said I was a carbaholic.  He recommended a  ketogenic diet.  The wife and I started

I converted almost 15 years ago to a hybrid diet.  I started with the idea of Paleo and tweaked it to cut carbs and add fat.  I say converted because it needs to be a life style change and in order to

Ketoacidosis is highly unlikely to occur in anyone non-diabetic.  It is a side-effect of poorly managed diabetes, not from the keto diet.   https://www.healthline.com/health/ketosis-vs-ketoa

Realizations that may help all of us on some form of a  healthy Keto plan.

Weight loss via Keto seems to be about 85% diet, 15% exercise. This does not mean neglect exercise but the realization that exercise is ALWAYS important just not as a big driver to weight loss. There are many accounts of people exercising in a big way with no weight loss. I proved this too.

Intermittent fasting is a tool not only for weight loss but more importantly allowing the body functions to be optimized. Fasting is not a negative thing.  The word fasting conjures up visions of deprivation and such. Not so.

Misconception of the word fasting can really screw up our motivation to be healthy at a healthy weight. I fast everyday. Fasting to me is not eating between meals. I go 18 hours of fasting and eat 2 meals in the remaining 6 hours. Nothing between meals.

Finally I read stuff every day about Keto, and Healthy Keto. Not only have I become better informed about health but motivated as well. There are Uber Keto writers as well as moderate writers who project ideas that I have looked at and incorporated. Lots of info but I use what I can work with.

M.

@Loremaster72 posted.  Today's cooking:  Smothered cabbage with sausage.  It's a Rachael Ray recipe I've made before, but this is the first time I tried it on the grill.  It's got way more vegetables in it than meat, so that's why I landed it here.  I will say that it was slower to cook on the grill than on the stove top, but it's a really tasty dish, and a good way to use up some sausage or ham.

Gonna try it as it appears "Keto Friendly".

I have found tons of recipes that make my pre Keto, no fat, low fat, etc. stuff seem unfriendly to what I find to be in line with my saturated fats are really OK stuff-especially better on the KJ.

-liking cauliflower rice. I make my own with the help of Rikon Kuhn Manual Chopper. Got the chopper as a stocking stuffer and it is turning out to be quite a gem. The over killed safety features of the electric choppers are too much.

Yes, I value safety but not what I suspect as overdone, overkilled safety measures.

M.

• 2 months later...

So another Keto benefit for me. Lowering sugar in any form, has helped with my bladder. I saw a video that talked about sugar and insulin resistance contributing to the bladder being overactive (for men, getting up too much at night) and thought this was a maybe. There seems to be an automatic blame on the prostate which in my case, was urologist examined and declared normal 3 years in a row. Meanwhile still getting up too much. A diagnosed bladder issue was not the way to go.

Sure there are meds for overactive bladders, but not to my liking. Let's not forget the infomercials to improve the prostate. Those informercials  relative to men posessing a prostate gland. No help for females

M.

• 3 months later...

One added  Healthy Keto benefit: Intermittent fasting during "stay at home" or whatever your area demands.

I slipped  back 7lbs. compared to last November.

I am renewing my weight loss strategies as I "stay at home". This is all a part of  the saying, "make lemonade out of the lemons your are dealt".

Gonna get near one meal a day. Keto diet information talks about alcohol being detrimental to ketosis. I will say that I have reinforced that fact and have 2 weight losers via healthy keto that have verified also.

M.

• 2 weeks later...

If there are no contraindications for health, this is an excellent option for those who want to preserve muscle mass and lose body fat. But this happens rather slowly (half a kilo per day just cannot be reset), but qualitatively. Do not weigh yourself while losing weight, but be sure to take volume measurements every 2 weeks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 7:11 AM, mike echo said:

I will say that I have reinforced that fact and have 2 weight losers via healthy keto that have verified also.

I can agree with this.  I still need to drop another 20 pounds.  When I quit booze completely, the weight drops off easy with keto.

• 2 weeks later...

So as mentioned, I am on a modified Keto Diet, like many of us. Mostly for health and sometimes weight loss.

Annual physical results this year were great. So I asked myself why.

A minimum of 18 hours of fasting each day. 2 meals only in a 6 hour window. Obsessively avoiding carbs and any form of sugar.  Not sweeteners but forms of sugar. I like Monk fruit and 100% Stevia. They can be used in baking but recipes need to be adjusted. No Snacking ever.

Make some great stuff with lots of fat on my KJ.

Can I do better? Yes.

How? Longer fasting. Fast 24 or 48 hours a few times a month. Limit my portion sizes. Be extra careful around the Holidays at home, parties and such.  Keep reading stuff about Keto. This is a topic that has a wide scope-depending on the writer and their opinion(s)/agenda. 

Avoiding sugars can, might, possibly keep my away from other Nasty health issues. That's my motivator.