I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter. I'm using lump charcoal, put a weber fire starter near the top of the heap and let it flame for a bit, then shut the lid, crack the top vent and set the PartyQ for 350. Once at temp, the thighs go on for about an hour.

Am I lighting it correctly, should I use a different temp?. I'm all for a bit of smoke taste but these have way too much

I agree with Antinoz.  Remember, just because you hit the temp, it doesn't mean the nasty starting smoke isn't gone yet.  I usually don't put any food on until mine has been running at the desired temp for at least 20-30 minutes.  I always budget 30-45 minutes starting time for the charcoal to get going.  Additionally, chicken absorbs smoke more than beef and pork, so a little smoke on chicken goes a long ways.

I'm just using the lump Mesquite charcoal (Lazzari), no additional wood. I think you guys are onto something though, I let the fan get it to temp and put the chicken on soon after that. I'll try letting it sit for a half hour or so first

4 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

And mesquite is probably to strong of a taste for chicken.

I've seen these kinds of claims before, but from what I've read, good charcoal should be nearly pure carbon. Complete combustion of carbon will produce heat and carbon dioxide (flavorless, odorless). Incomplete combustion will produce ash and soot.

So what flavors could you be getting from mesquite charcoal that you wouldn't get from any other charcoal?

8 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Bitter mesquite taste, it's quite strong.  If charcoal imparts no flavor into/on the meat then why not just cook with gas?

Combustion of propane results in CO2 + H2O. Charcoal provides a dry cooking environment.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/science-charcoal-how-charcoal-made-and

You also have more control over temperature with charcoal, and gas grills cannot safely be sealed up and insulated like a kamado

We can agree to disagree, it's OK.  Charcoal does give flavor to foods cooked over it.  Different charcoals flavor food differently because they are made out of different varieties of wood.  All poultry is like a sponge and absorbs a lot of smoke flavor.  There is a reason many, many people recommend going light on wood when smoking/cooking poultry.  In fact a lot prefer using fruit woods.

This seems like a classic YMMV cooking discussion.  As Sir Robin says, lump charcoal should be carbonized until you can't discern a difference in the types of wood.  But this doesn't always happen with the larger pieces.  It could be that people with more sensitive palates can taste mesquite, especially in something like poultry.

I would follow the advice to let your fire burn clean before adding food. If it's still too smoky you may want to try a different charcoal for the yardbird.

Serious question.  If all types of lump indeed had no discernible taste, why would companies even bother marketing to label what kind of lump was in the bag?  

Edit... NVM.  Read the entire link.  Its a really long YMMV due to lots of factors involved.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:45 PM, Tony Chick said:

I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter.

Are you using a deflector or catch pan of some type?  Aside from any charcoal issues, skin-on thighs can drop so much fat on a fire that they'll taste like they were cooked over a tire fire.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By JeffieBoy
      So my daughter is getting married tomorrow.  A smaller wedding (98 guests) taking place at his family farm.  The groom and his brother own a distillery business on the farm and the wedding will be held outside between the home and the business.  The meal will be catered and the boys wil have the wood fired oven going for late night pizzas.  Think they can do four or five at a shot.  At the last minute she has asked me to provide a 60-70ish pulled pork sliders.  So I snuck out of work early today, managed to find five nice pork shoulder “partial bone-in roasts” totalling about 10kg (22 lbs), raced home, rubbed them up, injected with apple juice and loaded up the Akorn.  Going to finish them tonight, pulled and pack the meat and get into bed.  Tomorrow I need to pick up the slider buns that I ordered, slice the tomatoes and onions, prepare some sauce and away we go!  Meat will be rehated in the pizza oven prior to serving.

i had done three 8 pound butts before and they were actually a better fit than these five smaller roasts.  More photos to follow.  Wish me luck!

• By Lydia
      Thanks to Kismet Kamado for putting me on to the technique detailed by keeperovdeflame on how to cook an easy spatchcock chicken.  I changed up my recipe by mixing my homemade basil pesto with some butter and putting that under the skin of the breast, thighs and legs.  Also, the veggies i used in the tray under the chicken were potato, carrots and parsnips from my garden and some little purple shallot onions.

I was travelling quite nicely at 400 - 410F when I walked away and returned for it to be up to 450.  I tried closing the vents right down and it did work, so I took it all out after about 1 hour.  You will notice in my photos that I have two probes, one in the the thigh and the other in the breast.  Something seemed to go awry with what I thought was a good plan because the beeper started beeping on the weber temperature thingo after about 10 mins, alerting me that the chicken was finished, which it obviously wasn't.  Not sure what I did wrong with the positioning, so would appreciate any feedback about that.

The chicken turned out  absolutely deeeeelicious!!!  The skin was lovely and crispy and all parts of the bird, even the breast, lovely and juicy. 

Unfortunately my lovely veggies didn't turn out so well, with the majority being too far on the charred side of things, with the bottoms quite burnt.  The parts that did turn out well, were really delicious because of the chicken and pesto flavoured drippings, so I will definitely try this method again.  I was a bit reluctant to use my expensive staub in the kamado, so had used a metal tefal baking dish but think that perhaps placing it directly on the diffuser might have been the issue?  Maybe I should have used a trivet as a spacer??  

Another thing I realised afterwards was that I shouldn't have  removed so much of the excess skin from around the neck because of the inevitable shrinkage.  It's all learning! :-)

Suffice to say, we all really loved the meal and the Christening of my beloved new Kamado Joe Classic II.   It was a pretty small bird but I tell you what, that chicken and pesto smelt absolutely amazing 10 mins into the cook!!

LOL, nothing against my Pro Q 20 elite but when my husband saw how quickly the kamado got to 400F with absolutely no mess or fuss, he was astonished and suitably impressed! :-)

I actually wasn't going to share details of this first cook because it isn't my best work but I am confident that I - like everyone else - will learn lots along the way.  

Thanks for reading my first post on my first cook.  Have a great day! :-)

• By psholder
      Hi all -
      Been using the Akron for a few weeks now and falling in love.  Did some chicken breasts over the weekend....turned out great.  
      I’d like to try my hand at smoking or a low-n-slow with chicken this weekend.  What range of temps should I shoot for, and how long?
      Planning on using some light wood chips, as I think I remember the darker the wood, the heavier the smoke.  

Thanks all!
    • By PeteHr
      The weather was lovely this weekend so it was definitely a grilling weekend...

Saturday I did my first attempt at Turkish Pide bread. This is how it looked just before putting on a pizza stone in the grill:

The black seeds are Nigella seeds which impart a very unique (and very nice) flavour. I often use them with rice. But anyway, after about 20 minutes at 220C:

Overall I was very pleased with the results, although the bottom could have been a bit crisper (I think I should have let the pizza stone heat up more - despite what the recipe said....)

While this was cooling down a bit half of it got eaten but did some Chicken supremes which had been in a piri-piri based marinade all day, and once they were done some olive oil brushed aubergine slices:

Really good chicken - I love piri-piri !  Pide was definitely better when really warm - just needs 10 minutes to cool slightly...

Sunday I did leg of lamb. Firstly I made deep slits into the flesh of the lamb and then made a marinade paste of EVO, lemon juice, garlic, fresh parsley and oregano, seasoning, and anchovy fillets (with the olive oil from the tin). This had about 6 hours marinating then into a hot (220C) grill and then closed the vents down to let cool down to about 180C. Basted a few times with the drippings then after about 1.5 hours this is what it looked like:

Removed the meat and covered with foil to rest while I got the cast iron griddle out and got the temperature back up so the griddle was nicely hot. Then griddled some previously part cooked (steamed) carrots and asparagus which had been dressed with EVO:

Then while I kept this little lot warm in the gasser (it does have it's uses....) griddled some Aubergine which had been brushed with EVO:

Served with some super fresh Cornish new potatoes (not pictured). Everything was really lovely - but the real star of the show was the Lamb. It had a real depth of flavour - I've used Anchovies with Lamb before but not in a marinade - but they really do work....  Will definitely do this again !!!

• By Big Biscuit
      Some wangs seasoned with Oak Ridge BBQ Secret Weapon and slathered with Sweet & Spicy, and Honey BBQ Baby Ray's sauce. I also added a little extra heat via some cayenne pepper powder. 
       I just started a load of lump charcoal with a starter cube. Put the ×-rack on the high position, placed the heat diffuser half moons on, and then the grill grate. I closed the dome and opened the bottom vent completely. Then I opened the daisy wheel so all the holes aligned and swung the vent on top about a 1/4 of the way open. Waited for the temp to approach 400°, then closed the bottom vent about half way. Put the wings on and flipped them a few time so they would cook evenly. When they were almost done placed them in a stainless steel bowl tossed them with sauce threw them back on for a few minutes and viola!