Tony Chick

Chicken too smoky using BBQ Guru fan

I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter. I'm using lump charcoal, put a weber fire starter near the top of the heap and let it flame for a bit, then shut the lid, crack the top vent and set the PartyQ for 350. Once at temp, the thighs go on for about an hour.

Am I lighting it correctly, should I use a different temp?. I'm all for a bit of smoke taste but these have way too much

I agree with Antinoz.  Remember, just because you hit the temp, it doesn't mean the nasty starting smoke isn't gone yet.  I usually don't put any food on until mine has been running at the desired temp for at least 20-30 minutes.  I always budget 30-45 minutes starting time for the charcoal to get going.  Additionally, chicken absorbs smoke more than beef and pork, so a little smoke on chicken goes a long ways.

I'm just using the lump Mesquite charcoal (Lazzari), no additional wood. I think you guys are onto something though, I let the fan get it to temp and put the chicken on soon after that. I'll try letting it sit for a half hour or so first

4 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

And mesquite is probably to strong of a taste for chicken.

I've seen these kinds of claims before, but from what I've read, good charcoal should be nearly pure carbon. Complete combustion of carbon will produce heat and carbon dioxide (flavorless, odorless). Incomplete combustion will produce ash and soot.

So what flavors could you be getting from mesquite charcoal that you wouldn't get from any other charcoal?

8 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Bitter mesquite taste, it's quite strong.  If charcoal imparts no flavor into/on the meat then why not just cook with gas?

Combustion of propane results in CO2 + H2O. Charcoal provides a dry cooking environment.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/science-charcoal-how-charcoal-made-and

You also have more control over temperature with charcoal, and gas grills cannot safely be sealed up and insulated like a kamado

We can agree to disagree, it's OK.  Charcoal does give flavor to foods cooked over it.  Different charcoals flavor food differently because they are made out of different varieties of wood.  All poultry is like a sponge and absorbs a lot of smoke flavor.  There is a reason many, many people recommend going light on wood when smoking/cooking poultry.  In fact a lot prefer using fruit woods.

This seems like a classic YMMV cooking discussion.  As Sir Robin says, lump charcoal should be carbonized until you can't discern a difference in the types of wood.  But this doesn't always happen with the larger pieces.  It could be that people with more sensitive palates can taste mesquite, especially in something like poultry.

I would follow the advice to let your fire burn clean before adding food. If it's still too smoky you may want to try a different charcoal for the yardbird.

Serious question.  If all types of lump indeed had no discernible taste, why would companies even bother marketing to label what kind of lump was in the bag?  

Edit... NVM.  Read the entire link.  Its a really long YMMV due to lots of factors involved.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:45 PM, Tony Chick said:

I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter.

Are you using a deflector or catch pan of some type?  Aside from any charcoal issues, skin-on thighs can drop so much fat on a fire that they'll taste like they were cooked over a tire fire.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Daz
      My wifed signed me up for BBQ Ribs at my son's baseball endgame party. After working on my own controller like nuts for 3 years she now signs me up for every potluck party we go. So I was on a quest to find out how to use minimum effort to make pro-like ribs. I figured I'll make a video for it since I haven't smoked much of ribs for a while.
      Here is a process I tested today and the ribs turned out to be just as savory and tasty as, well, finely prepped ribs. It'd add a few points with some freshly cut herbs and garlic but these ribs turned out to be just amazing. Here is the process, no overnight seasoning, no wrapping and no mopping. The grill was not touched til the end. 

1. I went straight to Costco and picked up some pre-dry-rubbed St. Louis Cut Ribs. I've used them before and they are great. For only $3.49 /lb and seasoned, this is the best bang for the buck. This way I don't have to buy them ahead of time. The ribs are good to go. The rub was called "Souvloki" rub and it got a little heat in it. 
      2. I curled up the ribs into a standing tube with two skews. This way the ribs are cooked 1~2 hours faster and even on both sides. It took three hours to cook the ribs to 210 internally.
      3. Lit the starter cube, put in the heat deflector, insert the meat probes and grill probe. Put the meat in and close the lid for the first and last time.
      4. Set the temperature controller to 270. I was just experimenting with it, It worked really well. A nice bark was formed yet the inside is savory. It pulls off the bone easily. 
      5. That was it. No wrapping no mopping no nothing. Just cruise around for 3 hours and take it straight out of the grill and eat.
      So next time if you are in a hurry or just being lazy...you know what to do.

• By DerHusker
      The same day I cooked my Ribeye

I also grilled up some chicken thighs for my wife and sister in-law.
      I had purchased a 1.5 cubic foot bag of almond wood. I pulled out 5 nice looking pieces to make the fire with.

I lit up a small chimney of smallish lump pieces and dumped this into my fire pit to start up the almond logs.

I then placed the almond logs on top and waited for them to start burning.

While I was waiting I seasoned up some chicken thighs

and some asparagus spears.

I placed the potatoes on first. Then the asparagus over the fire for a while to give them a little head start. I then moved them back into the foil tray to finish up and placed on the thighs.

Flipping the thighs every 3 to 4 minutes until they were at 160 it.

No plated shots as I was eating the steak.

Thanks for looking.
    • By Big Biscuit
      Want to grill some chicken, but was looking for a different flavor profile. I started looking through the fridge to see what I could find, and voila. I found a container of freshly diceed pineapple. Took that some soy sauce, garlic, onion, two jalepenos, hot sauce, vegetable oil, and Soy Vey veri veri Teriyaki put it all in a blender and mixed it up. Then I took a whole fryer chicken and split it in two. Placed each half in a ziplock bag and covered them up with the marinade. 
      Fast forward 8 hrs and I fired up the KJ classic, let it come up to temp and slapped the bird on. 45 minutes later I had a sweet and spicy meal.
    • By DerHusker
      Life is very hectic for us these days and I don't get the chance to cook much these days and much more so to document those cooks when I do. It is the season we're living in for now with taking care of my 93 year old M.I.L. with Alzheimer's. Anyone who's gone though this knows how difficult it is.

Anyway, last weekend I decided to remake the Blackened Chicken Torta I made a few years ago. First thing I made was some Pickled Red Onion.

Pickled Red Onion recipe link:
      https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/27438-pickled-red-onion/?tab=comments#comment-367726

I then made up some Blackened Chicken rub and proceeded to make up the Blackened Chicken and Torta.

Blackened Chicken Torta recipe link:
      https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/26599-blackened-chicken-torta/?tab=comments#comment-355872

I pounded some chicken breasts out to around 1/2” thick.

I placed my CI skillet on the on side burner of my gasser and let it get smoking hot and blackened the chicken.

I then toasted the torta roll and spread on some Frank’s Red Hot Mayo, a chicken breast and some pickled red onion.

Then some avocado,

tomato slices,

some lettuce and the lid.

Here are the Plated shots with a Stone Xococeza Mocha Stout and some Sun Chips.

Delicious!

Thanks for looking.
    • By Daz
      Hi all, we made a little video about cooking frozen pizza from stores. It was a fun lunch at work. When I first made the pizza ring 2 years ago there weren't many frozen pizzas in the stores, most are thick crust. but now...wow, they got their own aisle. So we dust off the pizza ring and made pizza lunch at work. 
      We tested more than 8 different brands of pizzas, and Newman's thin crust cooked best in the Akorn Kamado, California kitchen's Sicily pizza had a perfect dough/topping ratio, and even the cauliflower dough tasted good from the stone. The stone was kept around 450 - 500, anything higher may burn the dough without full cook the toppings. So on thicker dough keep the stone under 400 will be a good idea.
      Talking bout the stone, we used Rockheat we bought from Amazon, I'd recommend it. simple but smart handle design. We're working on a pizza stone with a digital thermometer built in, then you won't need the Infrared gun to read the stone temperature. I can probably program our controller to keep the stone temperature consistent. 
      https://bbqube.us/Turn-Your-Akorn-Kamado-into-an-Italian-Pizza-Oven-with-Kamado-Pizza-Ring_b_2.html