Tony Chick

Chicken too smoky using BBQ Guru fan

I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter. I'm using lump charcoal, put a weber fire starter near the top of the heap and let it flame for a bit, then shut the lid, crack the top vent and set the PartyQ for 350. Once at temp, the thighs go on for about an hour.

Am I lighting it correctly, should I use a different temp?. I'm all for a bit of smoke taste but these have way too much

I agree with Antinoz.  Remember, just because you hit the temp, it doesn't mean the nasty starting smoke isn't gone yet.  I usually don't put any food on until mine has been running at the desired temp for at least 20-30 minutes.  I always budget 30-45 minutes starting time for the charcoal to get going.  Additionally, chicken absorbs smoke more than beef and pork, so a little smoke on chicken goes a long ways.

I'm just using the lump Mesquite charcoal (Lazzari), no additional wood. I think you guys are onto something though, I let the fan get it to temp and put the chicken on soon after that. I'll try letting it sit for a half hour or so first

4 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

And mesquite is probably to strong of a taste for chicken.

I've seen these kinds of claims before, but from what I've read, good charcoal should be nearly pure carbon. Complete combustion of carbon will produce heat and carbon dioxide (flavorless, odorless). Incomplete combustion will produce ash and soot.

So what flavors could you be getting from mesquite charcoal that you wouldn't get from any other charcoal?

8 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Bitter mesquite taste, it's quite strong.  If charcoal imparts no flavor into/on the meat then why not just cook with gas?

Combustion of propane results in CO2 + H2O. Charcoal provides a dry cooking environment.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/science-charcoal-how-charcoal-made-and

You also have more control over temperature with charcoal, and gas grills cannot safely be sealed up and insulated like a kamado

We can agree to disagree, it's OK.  Charcoal does give flavor to foods cooked over it.  Different charcoals flavor food differently because they are made out of different varieties of wood.  All poultry is like a sponge and absorbs a lot of smoke flavor.  There is a reason many, many people recommend going light on wood when smoking/cooking poultry.  In fact a lot prefer using fruit woods.

This seems like a classic YMMV cooking discussion.  As Sir Robin says, lump charcoal should be carbonized until you can't discern a difference in the types of wood.  But this doesn't always happen with the larger pieces.  It could be that people with more sensitive palates can taste mesquite, especially in something like poultry.

I would follow the advice to let your fire burn clean before adding food. If it's still too smoky you may want to try a different charcoal for the yardbird.

Serious question.  If all types of lump indeed had no discernible taste, why would companies even bother marketing to label what kind of lump was in the bag?  

Edit... NVM.  Read the entire link.  Its a really long YMMV due to lots of factors involved.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:45 PM, Tony Chick said:

I recently added a BBQ Guru PartyQ fan to my Akorn to get my temperature issues under control. I've made bone-in, skin-on Chicken Thighs twice now but they taste way too smoky and bitter.

Are you using a deflector or catch pan of some type?  Aside from any charcoal issues, skin-on thighs can drop so much fat on a fire that they'll taste like they were cooked over a tire fire.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Daz
      Hi all, we made a little video about cooking frozen pizza from stores. It was a fun lunch at work. When I first made the pizza ring 2 years ago there weren't many frozen pizzas in the stores, most are thick crust. but now...wow, they got their own aisle. So we dust off the pizza ring and made pizza lunch at work. 
      We tested more than 8 different brands of pizzas, and Newman's thin crust cooked best in the Akorn Kamado, California kitchen's Sicily pizza had a perfect dough/topping ratio, and even the cauliflower dough tasted good from the stone. The stone was kept around 450 - 500, anything higher may burn the dough without full cook the toppings. So on thicker dough keep the stone under 400 will be a good idea.
      Talking bout the stone, we used Rockheat we bought from Amazon, I'd recommend it. simple but smart handle design. We're working on a pizza stone with a digital thermometer built in, then you won't need the Infrared gun to read the stone temperature. I can probably program our controller to keep the stone temperature consistent. 
      https://bbqube.us/Turn-Your-Akorn-Kamado-into-an-Italian-Pizza-Oven-with-Kamado-Pizza-Ring_b_2.html
    • By TheGHole
      Made these Jack and Coke chicken thighs last night, recipe courtesy of http://howtobbqright.com/2016/10/07/jack-coke-chicken-thighs/.  Turned out incredible!  Meat was super rich and juicy, the skin tighten up with the ultra flavorful tacky glaze, and they even formed up pretty nice.  I served them with some sweet corn on the cob, pasta salad with fresh mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and some other things, and a mustard vinaigrette butter lettuce salad.

My only recipe modifications were that I used peach preserves instead of pineapple because I couldn't find pineapple, and I used half the brown sugar that the recipe said in the glaze because my all purpose rub has some sugar and the one he uses does not.  Next time, I would make the glaze slightly less salty to let some of the other notes shine through a bit more, and I might put a little less wood one before smoking.  Overall very happy with how these turned out and encourage y'all to try it!

Please let me know if you have any tips or questions...I'm always trying to get better!

• By R5Ryder
      Grill = Akorn.  Temp control by TipTopTemp.  No leaks.  Probes = Thermoworks Smoke and Thermopen MK4.  I've confirmed that the probes are accurate, and there was no obstructions on the pit probe.

Put on a 16lb Packer (probably a few pounds less after trimming) at midnight.  According to the Smoke's graphs, the pit temp held between 215-235 all night.

The brisket hit the stall after only 3 hours of cooking, so IT of 160 by 3AM.  When I woke up to make some pit adjustments (it jumped to around 250 at 6AM, probably when the sun came up and the TTT compensated for change in ambient temp) the  meat was already at around 180, so I'm wrapping in butcher paper, however it's going to be finished  - including resting - in under 12 hours, which just doesn't seem right.

Had I wrapped when the stall hit, that would have been at 3AM, and maybe it would have been done around 8.  How is that even possible for a 16lb packer?  Everything was timed so that it would be done (including rest) in around 16 hours, though obviously every piece of meat is different.  I would not have expected a piece to be THIS different though.

• By BBQ Bob
      Right up front, no pics.  I was so happy with the results of my cook that I couldn't wait to get in carve this up and give it go.  Maybe next time.

Spatchcocked the chicken, rubbed with a home made rub of salt, pepper, paprika, onion & garlic powder, celery salt and put in the fridge to dry the skin.  Bird went on for about 45 minutes around 225 to give her some smoke (and I still have a little trouble getting up to 300-325 anyway so thought I use it to my advantage), than on up to 350 to an internal of 165.  Removed and rested for about 10minutes, just couldn't wait any longer.  It was super tender, great flavor, juicy and super easy to make on the Vision.  Only disappointment was the skin could have been a little crispier.  A baked potato for me, sweet potato for the CFO, along with a tossed salad and warm popovers.  Oh yea, a nice white wine to wash it all down.  

Super pleased with this cook.  Can't wait to try some bread on it this weekend.
    • By taylola2010
      Assembly of the akorn jr was easy. Especially with help from my 9 month old son lol  First cook on the acorn jr. Two cornish hens. I rubbed them with olive oil and cowboy rub. When they were almost finished I put a little homemade bbq sauce a friend gave me on them. They were very good. Fell off the bone. I let the grill get too hot at first, but I brought it back down to between 300-325 and watched it until it got to 165 on the probes. I do not trust the akorn jr temp gage at all. My probes were saying it was 75-100 degrees hotter than the gauge on the dome. I used the bbqube for indirect cooking. I think it was a great investment. I plan on using a pie pan or something to put liquid under my meat sometimes.