Hey gang, I recently received my iKamand, and it works great.  I’m not able to find anyone selling extra probes for the unit for slot 2 and 3.  Has anyone had any luck?

Also, while I’m on the topic of iKamand, has anyone had success getting a DC to USB setup to work, so a cord doesn’t have to be drug across the patio?  The idea would be to use it with a usb battery back or something similar.

I left some pics to get your mouths watering while I wait for a response.

997792B0-FE93-43CC-9712-9E8E08437B0A.jpeg

E06EA83D-3E7E-48D5-AEF9-020541B9D7BB.jpeg

4CF2C390-ED1D-4CD2-9076-F463A195BE88.jpeg

Probes are coming, no word on when or how much they'll be, but AGS has said they're due soon-ish

As for battery, I've seen a few guys on facebook post pictures cell phone battery packs running their iKamand, so it can be done  

I suppose you could cobble some sort of USB 5VDC to 12VDC conversion together, but wouldn't it be smarter and simpler to just buy a 12VDC battery pack and use that without mucking around? 

This unit has been shown to run the iKamand for 14hrs.  https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-MP-10000-External-10000mAh-included/dp/B00935L44E/

As mentioned, additional probes are expected "real soon now"...

10 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Probes are coming, no word on when or how much they'll be, but AGS has said they're due soon-ish

As for battery, I've seen a few guys on facebook post pictures cell phone battery packs running their iKamand, so it can be done  

9 minutes ago, gpb said:

I suppose you could cobble some sort of USB 5VDC to 12VDC conversion together, but wouldn't it be smarter and simpler to just buy a 12VDC battery pack and use that without mucking around? 

This unit has been shown to run the iKamand for 14hrs.  https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-MP-10000-External-10000mAh-included/dp/B00935L44E/

As mentioned, additional probes are expected "real soon now"...

I cobbled together a $10 5 V to 12 V USB adapter from amazon and a $21 30,000 mah battery to run my iKAMAND. The battery has way more capacity than I need. 

7 minutes ago, Ben S said:

I cobbled together a $10 5 V to 12 V USB adapter from amazon and a $21 30,000 mah battery to run my iKAMAND. The battery has way more capacity than I need. 

Links to the specific items you've found to work well would be helpful...

10 minutes ago, gpb said:

Links to the specific items you've found to work well would be helpful...

ExpertPower Fast Charge 2.0 Power Bank, 30000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Pack with 3-Port 4A USB-C/Type-C Port for iPhone Samsung Galaxy,more Phones and Tablets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FIDIB8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8r8kBb6K270YW

KUNCAN DC 5v To DC 9v or 12v Adjustable Step-up Voltage Regulator Converter with Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AY3XLEY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qu8kBbDYF4VEN

this is what I use. I can not take any responsibility if something goes wrong with your setup.  This is not approved by Kamado Joe or Kamado Guru. 

Cool.  Good to have a starting point that's known to work. 

I hadn't been aware that 5VDC to 12VDC upconverters were so common, learn something new every day.

I'd looked for USBC powerbanks that provided 12VDC but was unsuccessful; now knowing that the upconverters are common that makes things nicer since I can dual-purpose a battery pack.

Thanks.

Atlanta Grill Company has a three piece iKamand Pit Probe Kit for sale.  It comes with a pit probe and two meat probes for $49.99.  Just ordered a set and they are on the way.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LargeRedJoe
      Kamado Joe is having a warehouse sale next Friday and Saturday in Atlanta (well, really it's Duluth).

Kamado Joe
      3400 Rivergreen Ct NW
      Duluth, GA 30096-2519

ETA: From Conor Brennan

• By Brickyoung
      Hey folks,

i am considering purchasing a grill extender for my Big Joe.  I want to purchase the Kamado Joe branded expander but I am curious if anyone can suggest some good alternatives? Thanks! 
    • By GrillDawg
      Fired up the KJ for some NY Strip Steaks last night. I'd have to say...best steak I've had, hands down.

Got the steaks from a Stripling's General Store here in town. Seasoned with some Lane's BBQ Brisket rub. Put a block of Hickory in the fire.

1. Got the grill up to around 300º while seasoning.

2. First time using my ThermoPro wireless thermometer. It definitely gave me the flexibility of hanging out inside while getting up to temp!

3. Got the steaks to 125º and pulled them off and tented with aluminum foil.

4. Opened up the vents and aimed to get to 550-600º for the sear.

5. "I have made fire!"

6. Looking tasty! It smelled so good.

7. Plated with some spinach salad and a twice baked potato from Striplings.

8. Look at that color!

I'd have to say...this is my fourth cook on my KJ since buying it for Father's Day and everything I make on it is amazing. My wife looked at my across the table while eating and said, "I see why you wanted to spend so much money on a grill. This is delicious!"

If only she would have that logic when I try to convince her I want to buy a truck...haha
    • By dathzo
      Hi all,

I have lately been researching about temperature controllers for Kamados. Several alternatives are out there and each of them have their fan base. A lot of the information available is based on feeling and intuition, which is great. However, I miss a repository of information based on factual data of the controller's performance provided by users. This is the intention of this thread and hopefully, it will serve to educate the audience, firstly on how to make the choice when buying a temperature controller and secondly how to best use them.

I have put together a set of questions for the people to answer that will help fellow BBQers immersed into the temperature controllers world.

Thank you all in advance for supporting this research project!

1. What Kamado cooker you are using?
      2. What temperature controller do you have?
      3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)
      4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)
      5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over
      6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output
      7. What do you love about your controller?
      8. What would you improve about your controller?
      9. Anything else you want to share
      10. And last but not least, share pictures of your cook 
    • By GrillDawg
      Fired up the Kamado Joe today for some baby back ribs. Followed the video @John Setzler posted on YouTube. My rack ended up being a little smaller than the one in the video so I never quite got the bend test, but these were definitely some of the best ribs I have ever had. Pics below!

Baby Back Ribs
      Rub: A custom one made by Lanes BBQ (a local BBQ place located in Bethlehem, GA). On Father's Day our church gave out a custom rub Lane's made to all the dads. It was great!!
      Sauce: Sweet Baby Ray's diluted with some apple juice
      Cook time: 5ish hours
      Smoked with some cherry blocks

1. Put them on the grill around 12:30PM

2. ~2 hours into cook

3. Profile shot (~3 hours)

4. Gettin' saucy (~4 hours)

5. Nice color and glaze. This was right before I took them off.

6. Plated w/ roasted broccoli and cauliflower plus roll

7. Yessir!

8. Fall off the bone!

9. Gotta shoutout to one of my favorite breweries and they are located 5 min away: Terrapin Beer!

Really enjoyed this cook today. Excited to take the leftovers and make a hash with them in the morning!