Sign in to follow this  
mliebs

Question about Pork Butt rub

I'm cooking my first pork butt tomorrow and plan on putting it on the Kamado Joe about 4am.  I would like to go ahead and put the rub on now and let it sit in the refrigerator until the morning so I can just start the grill, inject the marinade, and start cooking.  Will I see any negative effects doing this?  I plan on using either Meat Church Honey Hog or a local rub called Grub Rub.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No I've done the rub it the night before many times, then wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge.  Sometimes I'll give it a touch up coating in the morning before putting it on the grill.  I'venever injected pork so I can't help you there.

I used to apply rub and let it set for up to a day in the refrigerator. I no longer do that.  Now I literally apply the rub while the grill is warming up. I personally don’t see any significant difference in taste plus I only have to clean up once vs twice. That may just be my experience based on the rub I use. I have tried injecting butts but don’t do it on a normal basis.  When I have done it,  I have done it right before putting them in the smoker.  I really can’t help you there.  JMO. Enjoy the experience and don’t over think it. They are very forgiving. I always tell people the only thing you can do to mess up a pork butt is drop it on the way into the house. Just be patient and cook it until it probes tender like melted butter. 

I like doing pork rubs the night before as opposed to briskets but that's mostly so there's one less thing to think about early in the morning; it doesn't make too much difference in the product. I slather with cheapo mustard, make a salt/pepper/paprika/onion powder/granulated garlic rub and coat it generously. Nice thing about pork butt is it's almost bulletproof as long as you don't undercook it. I've done overnight slather/marinades in pineapple juice, apple cider, whatever I felt like. Never injected one since they have so much collagen and fat to render, and you're going to shred it anyway so if by some miracle it is dry you could always spritz it up in the tray when the barbecue police ain't looking.

Personal preference I guess. I'm on the put it on the night before camp. I reckon it must impart at least a little bit extra flavour. I guess one of the main factors is what type of rub. I have heard that a vinegar style rub actually helps open the pores and let the flavour in.

Most of the time the thing that guides me is how much time before the cook I have.

I appreciate the feedback.  I went ahead and put the rub on last night and injected it this morning (added a little more rub too).  Fortunately my new puppy thinks it's breakfast time at 3am everyday so I was able to get up and get it on the grill.  The total weight was 8.75 lbs so I'm hoping it'll be done around 6pm tonight (put it on at 4:30).  So far the grill is holding steady at 240 degrees.

Looking forward to seeing the results mliebs.

The stall may be the only thing to drag that time out, but with patience I predict a very tasty feed in the near future.

Hopefully its done/ rested and eaten before pup feeding time rolls around again  :-o

P.S. A few photo's of the pork and the pup  would be great, although I don't recommend trying to take a photo of them both together at the same time   :-D

4 hours ago, Billy Grills said:

Looking forward to seeing the results mliebs.

The stall may be the only thing to drag that time out, but with patience I predict a very tasty feed in the near future.

Hopefully its done/ rested and eaten before pup feeding time rolls around again  :-o

P.S. A few photo's of the pork and the pup  would be great, although I don't recommend trying to take a photo of them both together at the same time   :-D  Here's a picture of the puppy a few weeks ago, she's 5 months old in the picture.  And here's a picture of the pork after 7.5 hours, internal temp 174.  I'm going to start a thread showing everything when it's finished.

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3419 (1).JPG

Looking good!

I prefer to salt the meat separate from the flavoring rub (such as paprika, garlic powder, etc. ) That way I control the amount of salt going onto the food. And I like to salt the meat the night before and leave the meat in the fridge uncovered so a pellicle can form (this helps with smoke adhesion). The flavoring rub can go on shortly before the cook begins, or the night before; it's your choice. 

There is no right or wrong way just the way you like it. For me it varies based on several factors but the biggest is, is there sufficient salt in the rub? If the rub i am using is already salty i will do it all at once before (timing anywhere from a few hours to day before). If the rub is for bark and outer flavor only (think more brisket here) i will salt and or pepper at least a few hours up to one day before adding flavor rub. Test, play and enjoy. Over time you will find new ways of doing something you thought could never get any better.

Agree with pretty much all the above.  Butts are very forgiving.  I've injected the last couple times and I think it makes it a little moister but really personal preference.  I've done overnight I've started at o'dark 30.  Either works.  The great thing about butts (insert joke there) is it's really hard to totally screw it up.  Experiment and have fun!