Struggle big time with Landman Kamado - Norway calling

ravenvalley

Hi. I struggle with getting my kamado to high temp. It really sucks. However, I'm creating a story on YouTube and hope you can comment in due time. Is it the Landman kamado or is it me???  I'm talking also directly to Landman. My dream is to at least reach 750 Fahrenheit (400 deg. celsius). To make italian pizzas!! I've managed to 250 degree so far.

20180526_140858.jpg

Welcome!

Open the vents. That may mean you remove the top vent completely. Mine's a gravity fit; pulls right off. Just be aware that you can exceed 400C if you try hard enough...

Are you an experienced pizza maker? If not, I'll recommend @John Setzler series of YouTube videos. This one is good to find out how little you know. Matching crust recipe to cooking temperature makes a difference. 

Have fun,

Frank

Not willing to look on y tube or anywhere else for that matter but...... 

It's you not the kamado!! It's you!! Done properly any kamado on the market will easily get to 800*f+ without much effort. 

95% of the time low temps are caused my lack of airflow.  5% of time it is the charcoal choice. 

Hand place your lump in the bottom to minimize how many holes you block.  Light it up. Open the vents and wait. 

Too start with I do not recommend you take the top vent cap off while trying to reach high heat, I definitely do not agree with that comment. Without a vent cap you can have flame shooting out the top and be unable to control your fire. If you do get a runaway, you could easily burn yourself trying to put the vent cap back on to shut it down. Besides, you aren't going to really gain that much over the cap with full open vents. 

When your kamado is completly cold. pull every thing out, and clean or vac out all of the ash. Pay special attention to vent screens and the holes in your fire box. Once everything is clean and free of ash, put your components back it and add a full load of good fresh lump. Something like Royal Oak. light your fire and open your vents. I do not recommend leaving your kamado when you want to cook at high heat. Personally I find 550 to 650 just fine for pizza, and seldom go above that on purpose. Happy cooking . 

High temp is all about airflow. 2 things come to mind, 1)are you sure your onboard thermometer is accurate? 2) what does the base plate on your fire bowl look like? Yes i know it has a name but its not coming to mind at the moment.  I am leaning towards you not getting enough air to really push the temp up. I dont recall how easy / hard it was for me in the beginning but once changing out the fire grate (that name still doesnt feel right). No issue any longer quickly jumping temp up. You can do that via the kick ash basket or a small 9" or so grate that fits the bottom nicely.