MrA

Rockwood Charcoal

Checked out naked whiz review off Rockwood charcoal. Good review, in stock at Ace. Review our a few years old. I didn't have any large pieces in my 20 lb bag. I was disappointed the pieces seemed small. It was easy to light and burned really well. I did a rib cook on my kamado Joe. Doing anther cook now. Loading the bowl I noticed the pieces sound like wind chimes clanking together. The charcoal is well carboned. But for the small pieces, it seems to be some pretty good stuff.

I like Rockwood, finishing up my last 30 pound bag this week.  I count on it's uniform sized pieces, nope, no tree trunks but it is great for chicken, burgers, steaks etc.  It burns incredibly clean and I have never found debris in it.  Made in the U.S.A.

I buy it from The Ceramic Grill Store.

I'd say that Rockwood is one of the better brands of charcoal available and about the most neutral charcoal available. Good stuff.

I generally have bags of Rockwood, Royal Oak, and Kamado Joe on hand but at the moment I'm out of Royal Oak and only have 2 bags of KJ left but I do have 5 or 6 bags of Rockwood.

With any lump charcoal the size of the lump in the bag really has more to do with how badly kicked around the bags were in transit. Most of the bags of Rockwood that I've used have plenty of large pieces but personally, I don't care too much for really large pieces  - I tend to prefer golf ball to baseball sized pieces.

I do like Rockwoood.  I feel it burns slower.The only thing I have with it is that you can't find it locally so when you get it shipped to you 1/3 of the bag is crushed with lots of powder and tiny pieces. I find myself buying Royal oak more often. I can find it in my local Home Depot and  it's about $12 a bag.

16 hours ago, Blusmoke said:

I do like Rockwoood.  I feel it burns slower.The only thing I have with it is that you can't find it locally so when you get it shipped to you 1/3 of the bag is crushed with lots of powder and tiny pieces. I find myself buying Royal oak more often. I can find it in my local Home Depot and  it's about $12 a bag.

Rockwood is available in just about all of the lower 48 states in Ace Hardware stores. Your local store may not routinely carry it (my local store never seems to have any on hand but a store in a neighboring city 8 miles away does) but they can pull it from their warehouse and deliver it to your store. Check their website:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=142863556

You can see if any of your local stores have any on hand or you can order it and pick it up once it is delivered to your store. Ace Hardware stores always seems to be sending out $5 or $10 dollar off coupons so be sure to sign up to receive those.