Pan Pizza with Italian Sausage Meatballs and Rocket

Lydia

IMG_5709.thumb.jpg.c8025df4c8d8ac961b930bcba83b2f55.jpg

Okay, this is my entry number 2 for the June Pizza Challenge and this is my other favourite pizza combo.  Before joining the  kamado club, it's one I would make in the oven at home and also in a cake tin in my baby weber Q when we're camping.  Turns out perfectly every time and the best part is there is NO KNEADING required. :-)

The Crust

Can be made using cold water if leaving overnight or hot tap water if you would like to make it the same day but from my experience, there is better flavour development overnight using cold water.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all purpose or bread flour

1/4 teaspoon yeast

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup cold water

1. Place all ingredients in the bowl and combine using a regular spoon until there is no dry flour left in the bowl.  It can be quite rough and shaggy. This is fine. You're not aiming for a smooth dough.

2. Cover with plastic wrap and leave overnight (or for approx 4 to 6 hr, depending on the weather if you used hot water)

3. One hour before you want to cook, drizzle about 3/4 tablespoon of olive oil in the cast iron skillet or cake tin or whatever you're going to use and wipe it all around and up the sides as well.

4. Put the dough in and with a bit of the oil still on your fingertips, spread the dough out gently prodding it outwards until it reaches the sides of the pan

5. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap and leave it for an hour to settle in and puff up a bit more .

The Topping

- One can of whole Italian tomatoes, blended and cooked down with a little water, salt and Italian herbs.  (This does me for 4 pizzas and usually apportion into small sealy bags so I have it ready to defrost when next making a pizza.

- shredded mozzarella

- 3 Italian sausages, skins removed and basically squeezing out a bunch of meatballs to the size you desire

- some fennel seeds, that I cook the little meatballs part way on the stove prior to putting on the pizza

- sliced red peppers / capsicum

- On this particular pizza, I did add a bit of the leftover zucchini and pesto from the thin and crispy prawn pizza I had just made

- some rocket dressed with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to put on the pizza just prior to serving ... making it pretty much a meal ... healthy greens included :-)

IMG_5684.thumb.jpg.6bcc19877e8b8fa407a2bcfe64b08902.jpg

IMG_5698.thumb.jpg.a03f0aa40b60625879383a74b1ec16c8.jpg

The kamado was cranked up to 550F and then in she went!  

The set up in the Kamado was with the grills in position with the deflectors on top then the cast iron pan sitting on some terracotta pot plant feet as spacers.

IMG_5706.thumb.jpg.05d1f94999fda1933c7a225a602bb711.jpgM

It took between 15 and 20 mins and it was delicious :-)

IMG_5719.thumb.jpg.fa20d5433e5a4fa299ffa67b0f4dbe32.jpg