Temp gauge questions

Kentuckyboy76

I just picked up the Classic 2 and I did a brisket as well as some burgers/chicken/etc. While I am definitely still a novice I had a few questions about temperature. I calibrated my thermometer (I am going to again when the grill cools) and I decided to use an old oven one inside the grill as well to test. I did a quick cook of two chicken breasts, the grill showed 400 as its temp and the oven thermometer showed 475. The chicken finished up in about 14 minutes (165 internal) which makes me think it was closer to 475 than 400.

Any ideas on how to confirm if my thermometer needs to be replaced if the second calibration doesn't take? My brisket came up to temp much more quickly than the standard times listed as well.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

There are a lot of threads here about the temp difference between grate temp and dome temp
Most of the time, the difference is either due to placement of the grate thermo within in the grill or the temp within the dome not having enough time to stabalise

I'd also check if your "old oven" thermo is accurate before making any rash decisions

The KJ dome thermos are pretty decent, so assuming it reads 100c in boiling water i'd trust its readings over an leave in oven thermo

If you're super concerned about Grate Temps i'd suggest investing in a wired probe thermometer like the Mavrick or Thermoworks Smoke

No need to suspect problems. You did a calibration. A lot of posts on the forum relative to the following, but in short: those of us that have digital remote probes, will talk about how temps differ at various spots within the dome, at grill level to the temp at the probe on the OEM thermometer. 

Lots of posts on using dome temp or temp at the grill. They will be different.

I am a dome temp cooker. If I need a remote read out,  I attach my probe to the probe on the OEM temp guage.

The KJ thermometer has historically been very good.

M.

And I'm a grill temp guy. My dome and grill can disagree by up to 50C but, over a long cook, will often stabilise to the same temperature. Neither method is right or wrong, you will learn how your Kamado behaves either way and develop a style that suits you. One of the best lessons I learned was that, traditionally, recipes called for low, medium or high temp oven. None of this fussing about 225 vs 250 vs 215. Get the temp in the right range. Probe the meat or whatever as needed and enjoy the cook.

Let me add this regarding these long cooks. Every grill is different. Every animal is different. The conditions you cook in can also affect cook length. Certainly, how often you open the grill though, I think this is minimalized by the heat retention of the ceramic. However, as a whole, briksets cook faster and also lose less mass in a kamado than on a stick-burner, imo. Probably, due to the moist environment.

I think- and this is just me thinking- Kamado cookers who cook briskets for 19+ hours, just want to be able to claim that they cook them for that long. I have cooked 22lbers and still didn''t anywhere near approach those times and each time the briskets were perfectly cooked by any standard. The more briskets you cook, the more disparity you will find in the length of the cook per pound. I have had smaller 13lb briskets take longer than 17lbers or 19 lbers

14 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Let me add this regarding these long cooks. Every grill is different. Every animal is different. The conditions you cook in can also affect cook length. Certainly, how often you open the grill though, I think this is minimalized by the heat retention of the ceramic. However, as a whole, briksets cook faster and also lose less mass in a kamado than on a stick-burner, imo. Probably, due to the moist environment.

I think- and this is just me thinking- Kamado cookers who cook briskets for 19+ hours, just want to be able to claim that they cook them for that long. I have cooked 22lbers and still didn''t anywhere near approach those times and each time the briskets were perfectly cooked by any standard. The more briskets you cook, the more disparity you will find in the length of the cook per pound. I have had smaller 13lb briskets take longer than 17lbers or 19 lbers

I hear you, when i first started learning briskets, my cooks would often stretch past the 15hour mark

After a while i learned that conditions are more important than temp or cook time and now i can smash a 12-18 pounder out in under 10 hours that turn out fantastic

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the help. I guess I will settle in with a few more cooks and see how things goes.

My brisket was about 8.5 pounds and came to temp in about 10 hours to answer the question posed above.

Thanks again!

you will also find the thermometer becomes more accurate the longer you cook.  when i grill, i know it's about 25-50 low.  when i smoke, and get past the 2 hour mark, the temp on my remote and the KJ are the same.  i chalk it up to it being a property of a bi-metal thermometer.

• 1 month later...