Scotty Dawg

Greetings!

Brand new here, but have been stalking y'all.

My searching for a new to me grill brought me here... Was using an old Propane smoke vault and a chargriller duo 50/50.

The smoke vault was pooping out and my search for something new had me looking st some Weber smokey mountain 18 and 22".

I was on a low budget, all the used ones seem to be priced not much cheaper than new and they would sell quickly.

Then i came across a few used Chargriller Akorn grills. Never seen or heard of them before, so off to comb the forums and youtube.

My interest was peaked, made arrangements to look at one, made an offer and scooped one up for 100$

Needed a good scrubbing and there was a little more rust in the ash tray seal than i would have liked.

Little vinegar, wire brush and high heat paint.. boom like new!

First cook, spatchcocked chicken with smoke diffusion stone. Held 270 for 3 hours and used a fraction of charcoal.

My old offset barrel cooker i was adding coals every 45 min to maintain tempt...even with a redneck charcoal basket.

I'm impressed with this little guy and wouldn't have even considered it had i not read up on the forums!!

Cant wait to do a pork shoulder next weekend!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3346.jpg

55147831237__ED83C349-EE8A-49B8-B031-651F1DBB794B.JPG

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

Welcome, glad to have you with us. And yeah, I also think you will like the performance of your Akorn when you switch from briquettes to Hardwood lump charcoal. There are a number of varieties available. Probably the most consistent and most often used  "off the shelf" lump is made by Royal Oak. You can get the large red bags at Home Depot. Lump for the most part burns hotter, longer, and puts out less ash. 

Welcome!  Sounds like you are already loving your kamado!  They really are quite versatile.... don't know what I would do without mine at this point.  Don't be afraid to fill your firebox up as well.  You''ll have control of your temps with your vents, so you won't have to rely as much on planning out your charcoal burn as you would with some other types of smokers.  And I really like the care you put into refurb'ing your new baby.  :)

Oh and let us know how the pork shoulder turns out....

Welcome to the Guru.  And you managed to wake the lump/briquette beast with your first cook!  Just kidding, most of the lump evangelists are pretty friendly most of the time.  That's a pretty good looking first outing on your Akorn.