Sign in to follow this  
Doug123

How to cook burgers and hot dogs

I was going to do my first cook tomorrow if weather allows. I was just going to do something easy like burgers and hot dogs.

They will be frozen burger patties and regular hot dogs.

The manual says 300 for burgers. What do most of you do? I'm used to Kingsford professional charcoal on a regular grill so that's much higher than 300.

I figure whatever I do the burgers at will be fine for the hot dogs also.

Not that this is that important, just curious how most of you would do it.

Thanks and Happy 4th!

I haven't cooked burgers on my Akorn in a long time - I usually do the burgers on my Blackstone Griddle.  But, if I were to do burgers, I would would not use too much charcoal as it will be a short cook.  I'd start the charcoal in a chimney starter and pour the charcoal in trying to keep most of it on one side.  This will give you a safe zone on the grate to avoid flare ups or too much burned oil taste on your burgers and a hotter zone for searing if needed.  Have the bottom vent around 1.5-2 and the top vent about that also.  Put the grate on and let it get hot (if you want sear marks).  Maybe run the temp on the dome up to 400 or so (adjusting the vents as necessary) and the put the burgers on keep an eye out for flame-ups from the drippings.  I don't think you necessarily need to get to 400, but you'll know when it's hot enough for the burgers - I usually use the hand test.  Hold my hand above the grate and it should be too hot after a few seconds.  Reminds me of when I was teenager working at McDonalds - We cooked the frozen burgers on the flat top at 350 degrees (1/4 pounders were 375 degrees) and I still remember how to gauge the heat with my hand.  Again, flame ups are what I would be most concerned about.  Hot dogs are hot dogs.  I'm a firm believer the best hot dogs come out of a frying pan.... 

My method is simpler. I start a chimney of charcoal and pour it onto the leftover coals. Generally I close the lid with the top vent open to 2 or 3, bottom vent open. When it gets up around 400 I open the lid, close the bottom vent to 2 or 3 to keep the fire from going crazy and grill just like a kettle.

"First cook" on the Akorn I assume? It's a great grill for burgers. However, it's not happy with its lid open, so you can't treat it "just like a kettle." The lid must be closed to control temperature. Leave it open and the fire will run away. That's not bad for the burgers, but likely not good for dogs. I'd put them on the upper grate regardless. Corn works great, too. Only took about an hour, match to dinner. 

Also be careful not to put food on too soon. Thick white smoke always tastes bad. Let the fire mature until the smoke runs nearly clear. That's when you get  good grilled taste. 

Have fun,

Frank

6 hours ago, fbov said:

Also be careful not to put food on too soon. Thick white smoke always tastes bad. Let the fire mature until the smoke runs nearly clear. That's when you get  good grilled taste. 

Best piece of advice you can get, right there....  

Thanks all.

Yes, my first cook on the Akorn. I've been grilling and smoking for close to 30 years, just don't know much about kamados yet.

I'm going to use it today just because I want to but I guess my other question would be, would most of you use your Akorn for this? Or would you just use a regular charcoal grill? I still have my old grill.. 

29 minutes ago, Doug123 said:

Thanks all.

Yes, my first cook on the Akorn. I've been grilling and smoking for close to 30 years, just don't know much about kamados yet.

I'm going to use it today just because I want to but I guess my other question would be, would most of you use your Akorn for this? Or would you just use a regular charcoal grill? I still have my old grill.. 

I think most of us use our kamado's for everything - although there are a few who still embrace their charcoal kettles for cooks like this.  Either way results in good food for sure.  

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, fbov said:

"First cook" on the Akorn I assume? It's a great grill for burgers. However, it's not happy with its lid open, so you can't treat it "just like a kettle." The lid must be closed to control temperature. Leave it open and the fire will run away. That's not bad for the burgers, but likely not good for dogs. I'd put them on the upper grate regardless. Corn works great, too. Only took about an hour, match to dinner. 

Have fun,

Frank

That wasn't theory Frank, I've been grilling on my Akorn every week, Spring to Fall, for years. You really can use it just like a kettle, why shouldn't you? Just like a kettle, it has a vent on the bottom and a grate on the top with fire in between. 

I'm glad you enjoy your Akorn. I did as well... but only after I learned how to use it. My post simply conveys something I found critical to that enjoyment, in hopes that others will benefit from what I learned. 

Frank

They come out very well, always a hit. As Frank points out above, burning the smoke off the charcoal first is a good idea. Most of the 'coal for my cooks is leftover from previous burns. I start it with a chimney of fresh lump, which I don't empty until it has stopped smoking. If you close the lid and damp down the fire, It may smoke a bit more. So if you choose to cook with lid closed, watch for the smoke to dissipate. Lid open, make sure the starter coal has smoked off.