Sign in to follow this  
Doug123

Do you remove your grate after cooking?

Been wondering about this. I'm talking about the standard grate that comes with the Akorn.

I've had mine outside in the grill with a cover on.

Is that what most people do? 

Just curious if anyone brings the grate indoors, etc. Thanks

I think the best practice is the clean the cast iron grate while it's hot and then hit it with a coating of PAM and then shut it down.  No need to bring the grates inside as they will be seasoned and not exposed to moisture this way.  Again, I think that would be the best practice.  But, in real life, after I pull the food, I usually shut the vents, go eat and try to remember to clean the grates before it cools all the way down.  And, usually after I eat, I'm usally too lazy to PAM it.  Keep in mind that my Akorn is old and the cast iron in mine is well seasoned, so I am not concerned with rust anymore.  For a new one like yours, I suggest you work on keeping it oiled for away and then you can get lazy with it.  :good:

I worry more about keeping my whole Akorn covered and dry than just the grate.  I give the grate a wire brush while still warm after a cook and if it was a 400+ cook, give it a dab with canola oil on a paper towel.  When cool enough cover the Akorn with the grate in place.  Two years in, no sign of rust anywhere and the grate is pretty good about being nonstick.

I brush mine down and turn the temps up to 400 to 450 for a few minutes then close it off. I have not sprayed it down with anything in over 3 years and no rust at all and it is clean and ready to use when needed.

7 hours ago, daninpd said:

I worry more about keeping my whole Akorn covered and dry than just the grate.  I give the grate a wire brush while still warm after a cook and if it was a 400+ cook, give it a dab with canola oil on a paper towel.  When cool enough cover the Akorn with the grate in place.  Two years in, no sign of rust anywhere and the grate is pretty good about being nonstick.

Agree... with an Akorn ( and I LOVE the Akorns.... don't get me wrong.... ) you need to keep the whole grill dry in order to extend the life.  The grate will easily outlive the grilll.... even if abused and reasoned a time or two or three.....

Thanks everyone, good to know. I like the Pam idea, I'll have to pick some up to spray the grate. I was actually looking at some spray can oil yesterday but they only had olive oil and butter flavored so I didn't think that would work as well. Would olive oil be ok? Or it should only be vegetable or canola?

Just found an old Weber charcoal grate that I had in my shed. Fits perfectly. It is pretty rusty though. I might just order a new one. Anyone have a link of where you guys are buying them? Thanks

Home depot has the weber charcoal grates for $10.99 in the store (usually).  I actually just use whatever oil spray we have in the house.  Right now, it's Costco brand which is canola.  I'm not sure it will make a difference.  After cooking for awhile, you really won't have to spray much, just occasionally.  

6 hours ago, Kettleman67 said:

Home depot has the weber charcoal grates for $10.99 in the store (usually).  I actually just use whatever oil spray we have in the house.  Right now, it's Costco brand which is canola.  I'm not sure it will make a difference.  After cooking for awhile, you really won't have to spray much, just occasionally.  

Thanks. I'll check out Home Depot soon. My wife had some olive oil in a spray can so I ended up using that last night.