fotoman

Independence Day Brisket

Cooked a 9 lb. brisket with a cocoa-coffee rub.  Put it on at 11 p.m. last night and it finished cooking this morning at 10 a.m.  I won't be serving it until about 4 p.m. today.  I've got it wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil with a towel over it in a ice chest.  Do you think I'll have a problem with it getting dry?

Here's the before and after.  Cooked it undisturbed until it hit 200º F @ 225 º F.  I probe tested it and it was like butter.

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

3 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

Nice job on your brisket cook!  I hope your 4 p.m. reveal goes well.  

Thanks, I hope so too.  I've never had one rest that long.  

1 hour ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

My guess is that it was still pretty hot and not at all dry when you finally pulled it out. Hopefully, you still gave it a about a forty-fve minute rest before slicing.

It had a six hour rest and was still warm and not dried up at all.  Great hickory smoke ring and taste and the rub turned out great.

Congrats on your cook, sounds like you did everything right!  I bought mine at COSTCO here in sunny Sarasota and it was a good cut of meat. They had flats and full packers, but I didn't have enough time to do a full packer so I did a flat, my first one on my KJ Classic. Here's a look at the "lean" side:

IMG-4158.thumb.JPG.bf608354c224af775e3b94e073e9ebac.JPG

Here's a look at the "fat" side:

IMG-4159.thumb.JPG.3ac85d6b0082ecd2e3bc3154b16460d0.JPG

I used the classic Aaron Franklin salt and pepper rub and added a tspn of chipotle chile powder. Take a look:

IMG-4162.thumb.JPG.df871247b1a89c2d72ab61b0b3804427.JPG

I started my fire with Rockwood Lump Charcoal and added about six chunks of Western Oak; put the brisket on at 7:30am, fat side down, hoping it would be ready by 3:30pm. I had a tin of hot water underneath during the cook but I must admit I didn't refill it as often as I needed to. I let the water completely evaporate before refilling for the first time. That won't happen again, instead I'll check the water level every 45 minutes or so, each time I spritz generously with pure, not from concentrate, apple juice ... a must if you're going to keep your brisket moist.

Here's a nice pic of the smoke draw ....

IMG-4164.thumb.JPG.edf707838cba7c203b679f8bfe55b149.JPG

At an internal temp of about 170, I wrapped the brisket in "pink", approved for BBQ, butcher paper. That part went well, but I made the mistake of leaving the lid open too long during the wrap and I had to chase my fire for a while. Choked the fire back to around 200 before inching it back up; finally got it stable around 260 - 270 and finished the cook around 4:30pm (internal temp of 203).

I'm out of space so I can't upload any more images but the brisket was extremely tasty and moist, nice bark for a flat, good smoky taste, but no smoke ring. Disappointed with that, but then there's next time. I wrapped the brisket in a towel and put it in a cooler to rest for an hour before slicing and it was surprisingly hot to the touch when I unwrapped it.

To recap, I followed the Aaron Franklin recipe and process as close as I could and next time i will keep a better eye on water levels and close the lid when I wrap the brisket. Not ready to inject yet but I am interested in your comments on that topic, oh and also what I can do to get the ring!

Caio for now,