iKAMAND Problem, Can't Stop Cooking

Anyone else having this problem?

I started a cook, just wanted to set the grill to 375. Everything started great, got up to temp no problem then bam.   it stopped doing everything. When I try to stop the cook it says Error Stopping Cook.

The blue light is solid, it says it is online on the home screen, when I enter set up mode, it then alerts me it is off line, I've deleted the app, redid it, reconnected to the internet, I've done everything I can think of.

The thing is totally locked up.

I can push the power button and the fan runs but communications to the APP for cooking is dead and all probes are froze.  I can change temps and it says fan is running, but nothing is happening.

Any ideas?

Yesterday a lot of people were using their iKamands....I think there may have been a problem at the server farm managing it for a bit.   I think the heat may have impacted my wifi strength ... I could not connect to the wireless network outside on my phone or iKamand the same way I had so many other times.         

Look in the app, I think there a good Help section that really helped me out a bit.  

I had the same problem on July 4th. I put on pork ribs at 12:30 at 225. Left and ran some errands. Kept checking on the iKamand remotely. Temps were rock solid. Then sometime after 3PM went to physically check the grill and the temp was 150. iKamand was frozen. Last update was a little after 2PM. Couldn't cancel the cook. Unplugged the iKamand and finished the cook the old fashioned way. After power cycling the iKamand, it had a solid blue light indicating that it could connect to WiFi but phone app couldn't connect to server.

Today I was able to cancel the cook so server seems to be back.

Edited by ggal625
update

I upgraded yesterday to the latest firmware and did a beer can chicken.  I selected chicken and entered the weight, but increased the temp on the app (as I think it was going for low and slow).  The internet connection was a little spotty as I got messages about disconnection and saw a green flashing light.....but the App was showing the temps and I received texts when there were occurrences ( too hot, lid open, food done).  I really enjoyed cooking with it!  

I have a brisket on its way that I will be testing next. 

I cooked a Brisket this weekend using iKamand.  At first I was connected and then had some connection issues....then I activated my Guest Network and moved it over to that....and it was steady as can be.  Cooked the best brisket yet!  

Strange thing was at the end the temp kept creeping up (and I received a text)....but all the vents were barely open.  It stated grill temp was 240-250, dome stated 225.  

I’m a bit puzzled why KJ didn’t use the same self hosted standard as BBQ Guru.  The controller should be hosted on your own network from your own personal computers and router acting as a web server. 

I don’t see any advantage of having the iKamand hosted on a central web server.  

2 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m a bit puzzled why KJ didn’t use the same self hosted standard as BBQ Guru.  The controller should be hosted on your own network from your own personal computers and router acting as a web server. 

I don’t see any advantage of having the iKamand hosted on a central web server.  

The idea was to be able to colate all the cook data from thier user base in order to build a expected cook time function.

I imagine this would have been easier if all the controllers were hosted on the same server rather than having to port that data over from within the app itself

4 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

The idea was to be able to colate all the cook data from thier user base in order to build a expected cook time function.

I imagine this would have been easier if all the controllers were hosted on the same server rather than having to port that data over from within the app itself

They should do a firmware update to ensure the unit continues operate independently if the server is busy or goes down. 

19 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

They should do a firmware update to ensure the unit continues operate independently if the server is busy or goes down. 

Thats how my smartfire works

If you cant get a wifi signal or cant connect to the device, it defaults to the last cook data it had when it was depowered and rolls with that.

I set it up one morning while half asleep and 4 hours later i realised i hadnt set temp data, checked the app and it was humming along at 250f

• 2 years later...

Greetings from Germany. I also have the server problem today. I cannot establish a connection correctly. The app is up to date and I've tested a Samsung and an Iphone. At some point I got the report with the server problem. Now I have brisket on the grill and have to watch out all night. 

it's frustrating.