G-A-R-Y

Was does no one do lamb?

Iv'e been looking through the videos Kamado Guru Kamado Cooking Video Index:, and notice there's nothing on big joints of lamb, why is that.  Do they not take well to smoke?

It's a pity because  I have a few sheep which are nearer to two years old in the freezer.

There may not be any videos but there are plenty of cook threads that feature lamb. Other than lamb chop type cooks I've also done a few leg and shank cooks. 

Lots of people do lamb all the time most of us just don't make videos. Some of the lamb cook threads have very detailed pictures and descriptions. 

With any type of cook on Kamado Guru if all you do is look through the videos you're missing a lot of great content. 

I love rack of lamb and believe it would turn out great on a Kamado. It's just hard to find in my area to be honest, otherwise I would cook it on a regular basis. At my local markets/butcher shops you're typically limited to beef, pork, chicken, or seafood if you're looking for fresh protein. Being in Kentucky I'm lucky that I can get fresh seafood, but there is a shop about 15 minutes from me that has it flown in fresh a few times a week.

Lamb is a regular in our household....

My favourite is either leg or shoulder. I usually make a marinade/paste and give it a good coating, leave it for a good few hours, then cook low and slow (particularly with shoulder). I don't use smoke much, if any at all with Lamb - but that's more a personal preference than anything.

Saddle is really great if you have the luxury of a Rotisserie. And a good old Barnsley chop cooked direct over a good fire takes some beating if you can get good enough lamb !

Just put "lamb" in the search and you will find some great cooks on here !

On 7/8/2018 at 5:40 PM, deity6667 said:

But I do have the best lamb to choose from in New Zealand! Jump in and cook it all on the grill!

Don't you export that to us?

ps. I am an ex-pat from the Deep South...

5 hours ago, gnol said:

I love a slow cooked lamb shoulder. Find it much better than the leg, Having said that I went ahead and tried a boned leg a few weeks back.

Came out pretty good.

20180617_152948.jpg

20180617_133530.jpg

Welcome aboard gnol!

Great to see you over here mate   :good: