On 7/8/2018 at 4:01 PM, G-A-R-Y said:

Iv'e been looking through the videos Kamado Guru Kamado Cooking Video Index:, and notice there's nothing on big joints of lamb, why is that.  Do they not take well to smoke?

It's a pity because  I have a few sheep which are nearer to two years old in the freezer.

G'day Gary,

I grew up on a farm with over 5000 head of sheep, and a wood fired  oven in the kitchen.

Our main meat on the farm was from older sheep we called mutton.

Big and tasty,  I can most certainly confirm, that they tasted (and still do), sensational with a bit of smoke...yellowbox, redbox, and various other types of Eucalyptus were the fuel and smoke for our staple tucker.

Although the family farm has been sold, we still breed a smaller number of sheep on the farm, purely for eating.

From the paddock to the plate is the way to go mate, good luck and happy eating    ;-)

Carry out the "not" so pleasant duties and let set over night...

800512055_Muttonday2.thumb.jpg.5661586e30b6443c487d6ff32419eb92.jpg

Sharpen the knife again after cleaning the band-saw...

1311247958_Muttonday1.thumb.jpg.eac32820ff08808b5aa9ab48306a5a19.jpg

Trim off some of the yummy fat....

Although the folks don't have a wood fired oven of any sort now (they have a gas Q   :x ) I luckily have several    :good:

Mmmmmmutton....

811503413_LS2.thumb.jpg.ae0df4f1c539ea5c290ec969bd254fb2.jpg

745721013_LS3.thumb.jpg.adad9eb27fe204c8d016f564ec8b304e.jpg

The sheep shoulder, has got to rate up very close to  the top, for the taste, in my humble opinion    :P

All depends on where you live 

afaik most of the USA is beef country 

New Zealand and Australia does a lot of lamb

depending on what cuts you are buying depends on what it costs and some cuts individually are way too expensive and some cuts can still be double the equivalent beef or pork cut , example buying lamb loin chops can be about 5 times per kg what I buy a whole lamb for 

we buy a half or whole lamb in spring and into the desert at a very good price from the local butcher ,I think he buys a truck full as he will post on Facebook early and late spring for lamb , a whole lamb gets us through prob 4-6 months 

chefs say cook it Medium rare 

leg of lamb in  he Akorn low and slow was a hit at Christmas for the family with a lot of leftovers 

I personally prefer medium as there’s a distinct flavour change over medium rare 

I love ribs and chops hot and fast well done as that fat crisps up and tastes oh so good with some mint jelly 

22 hours ago, Billy Grills said:

G'day Gary,

I grew up on a farm with over 5000 head of sheep, and a wood fired  oven in the kitchen.

Our main meat on the farm was from older sheep we called mutton.

Big and tasty,  I can most certainly confirm, that they tasted (and still do), sensational with a bit of smoke...yellowbox, redbox, and various other types of Eucalyptus were the fuel and smoke for our staple tucker.

Although the family farm has been sold, we still breed a smaller number of sheep on the farm, purely for eating.

From the paddock to the plate is the way to go mate, good luck and happy eating    ;-)

Carry out the "not" so pleasant duties and let set over night...

800512055_Muttonday2.thumb.jpg.5661586e30b6443c487d6ff32419eb92.jpg

Sharpen the knife again after cleaning the band-saw...

1311247958_Muttonday1.thumb.jpg.eac32820ff08808b5aa9ab48306a5a19.jpg

Trim off some of the yummy fat....

Although the folks don't have a wood fired oven of any sort now (they have a gas Q   :x ) I luckily have several    :good:

Mmmmmmutton....

811503413_LS2.thumb.jpg.ae0df4f1c539ea5c290ec969bd254fb2.jpg

745721013_LS3.thumb.jpg.adad9eb27fe204c8d016f564ec8b304e.jpg

The sheep shoulder, has got to rate up very close to  the top, for the taste, in my humble opinion    :P

Way to do it Billy.

• 2 weeks later...