Pigfqr

Add me to the list of Pit Boss Kamado Owners

Pigfqr, have you had to do any extra sealing on yours? Mine wouldn't shut down so I ran an extra layer of gasket around the top daisy wheel and some on the bottom slider so it would seal up better, if yours held temp like that I'd guess it wasn't needed on yours.

Actually I might need to seal it a bit better, at least on the bottom.  If I close the top and the bottom, the grill will extinguish.  It takes a while, especially after a high temp burn, but it eventually goes out and I do have charcoal left, so I know it is snuffing the fire.  That being said, I barely had the top vent open, just a sliver, and the bottom I had set with the spark inhibitor closed and just one row of holes barley showing.  When it started to jump over 250, I had to close the bottom even more.  I did have to jockey with the vents throughout the cook, but I don't know how much of that was user error vs. the grills fault.  This was my first low and slow.  I think that if I had a better sealing lower vent, things might have gone smoother.

I had one row of holes on the bottom and was just a hair under the 1 marker on the top, right at 225. I had never done one that low before on anything and that made for a looooong stall, in the past was usually running at 275.

I think I might have started too many coals to start with.  So If I didn't have it shut way down it would kick the heat up quickly.  After 3.5 hours , when I started to spritz with an apple juice/cider vinegar mix, I noticed the heat would spike after lifting the lid and letting in air.  At those points, It seemed to me that I had to almost completely shut it down to get it back under 250.  Then I was worried that I had extinguished it, but thankfully that didn't happen.  I just kicked the vents open a bit and the temp would stop falling and then hold.  I really think my main problem was not waiting long enough after moving the vents to allow the temps to stabilize.  I think I was chasing the temperature most of the time.  Next time I will try to be more patient.

Couple small pointers ive figured out over the time of using it.

If you plan on spritzing it helps to shut the bottom vents down a good minute before opening the lid this will help tame temp spikes, once your done and the lid is closed  then move  the bottom vent to where it was previously set.  You will still get a temp spike but it wont be as high and it won last as long, your temps will / should go back down to where you had it set at in about 5-10mins MAX. (permitting you didnt have the lid open too long)

If you're having to adjust the slide to adjust temps and you haven't touched the PB then you should benefit from sealing it up more, however if you did set a too big fire for a low and slow cook, you will be chasing your tail to maintain temps. 

If your adjusting temps because your opening the lid then to some extent thats normal.  

On most of my low and slow cooks ive done... ive aimed for a 250 temp.  with a temp spike of 280-290 for 5-10mins when opening lid for what ever reason (depending on how big of a fire I have)  In time youl figure out how much you should ignite.

Maybe its just me but Ive also found that different brand coal burns / spikes quite differently too. Some spike hotter and quicker then others ect. Ive stuck to the same brand for some time now and got it down pretty good... I still muck up on fire size and all that but definitely not as often

I just did a low and slow of 2 pork butts.  I did have better luck this time.  I started the fire in one small spot towards the front of the grill, then slowly brought it up to 225.  I was able to maintain it better, but, due to it being a bit of a windy day, I still had pretty good temp fluctuations.  I was still messing with the vents more than I wanted to.

So I went ahead and bit the bullet, my Flame Boss 200 should arrive today.  I am going to seal the top vent though.  I figure it can't hurt.

No need to spritz in a kamado. Spritzing does very little to begin with, and a kamado is already a much moister environment than a high airflow stick burner.  You are much better off leaving the lid closed as much as possible and putting the seasoning on before or after the cook. 

1 hour ago, Pigfqr said:

I'll keep that in mind. I wasn't worried about the moisture level, I was hoping to add a bit of apple sweetness to the bark.

It will work much better if you add some brown sugar to the rub.  It is really hard to notice the flavor from spritzing in a side by side test. 

2 hours ago, m-fine said:

It will work much better if you add some brown sugar to the rub.  It is really hard to notice the flavor from spritzing in a side by side test. 

I'll give that a try next time.

I’m new, haven’t even had a chance to break in my PBK24, broke my foot & off of it for next month.  How did you check the stock thermometer?  Does it just screw out & have a probe?  I can’t even get into the darn garage, my grill hasn’t been touched since I assembled it.  Yes I had help getting the body on to the cart.  That thing  was so heavy Costco guys used a forklift to get it on my truck.  A neighbor & my partner wrestled the ceramic part onto the cart.

2 hours ago, DiannaDZ said:

I’m new, haven’t even had a chance to break in my PBK24, broke my foot & off of it for next month.  How did you check the stock thermometer?  Does it just screw out & have a probe?  I can’t even get into the darn garage, my grill hasn’t been touched since I assembled it.  Yes I had help getting the body on to the cart.  That thing  was so heavy Costco guys used a forklift to get it on my truck.  A neighbor & my partner wrestled the ceramic part onto the cart.

Yes, I think there is a wing nut in there you can unscrew.