iKamand

b00st4ddicted

I pre-ordered mine from Atlanta Grill Company.  I believe they are now out of stock waiting on more to come in.   It's my first controller and so far I'm enjoying it.   Had some problems getting it connected to my WiFi but KJ was great helping work through it.   Since then no real issues.   It will drop out every now and then on a long cook, but has always reconnected and picked up where it left off.   You will have to re-learn your damper settings though.   I've overshot my temp by having my top vent open too much and/or not closing it down once the charcoal was going.  The fan does a good job if the vents are set correctly.

You don't have to take the Joe out of the stand, but you do have to remove the firebox to get to the bolts holding the lower vent assembly.  The instructions tell you to remove the original door and replace with the new door.   On my Big Joe, I left the original door and installed the new iKamand door on top of it.   That lets me use the original door to shut down the grill over the cook is complete.  There is a thread on the forum about this and some issues with the stopper(?) KJ includes in the kit.

Reviews at this stage are mixed

I have seen a number of people report problems due to Server Issues or Hardware Problems

Some of the issues are simple fixes but there have been a few threads on the KJ Facebook page about:

iKamands no longer communicating mid cook and shutting down.

Units not Shuttting Down and the fans stoking the fire past its temp set point.

Units that no longer fire up or communitate.

Issues getting and maintaining a WiFi Connection.

The Supplied Cover Melting during high temp cooks.

Internal issues where the unit is essentially dead and needs to be returned

The Servers that maintain the cook data becoming overloaded with traffic and crashing, causing you to loose all your cook and temp data

That having been said, there are also a lot of people who have had great results.

As with most things on the internet, you only hear from the people who have problems, so they could be in the minority.

Personally, I was keen on picking one up, but will probably hold off now until Generation 2 drops and they manage to sort out the bugs that i've seen

52 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m puzzled why anyone would use an IKamand for a high temp cook.  The stoking feature is more of a nicety rather than a necessity.  You don’t need a temp controller for high temp cooks.

I dont think people are using it for high temp cooks, but if you follow the installation instructions, you need to remove the stock bottom vent door and replace it with the iKamand mount perminatly

In situations where you do not want or need to use the iKamand the cover, that is meant to fit the new door once you remove the iKamand, is made of plastic and melts when you run high temps

I’m a bit pi

12 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I dont think people are using it for high temp cooks, but if you follow the installation instructions, you need to remove the stock bottom vent door and replace it with the iKamand mount perminatly

In situations where you do not want or need to use the iKamand the cover, that is meant to fit the new door once you remove the iKamand, is made of plastic and melts when you run high temps

I’m a bit puzzled why KJ didn’t design the iKamand to simply slide into the existing vent with an adapter.  

It would’ve been the least problematic way to install it.  It doesn’t need to be a fixture on the the grill.  All the other companies use stainless adaptors to prevent these kinds of issues like cooking the . 

8 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’m a bit pi

I’m a bit puzzled why KJ didn’t design the iKamand to simply slide into the existing vent with an adapter.  

It would’ve been the least problematic way to install it.  It doesn’t need to be a fixture on the the grill.  All the other companies use stainless adaptors to prevent these kinds of issues like cooking the . 

Exactly

I think the inital idea was the iKamand was to stay on the grill perminatly but as they got further and further into the project they realised that wasnt the best idea.

The whole project looks like it was 3/4 of a good idea. There are a lot of features that look really good on paper, its just the execution of those idea has floundered a bit (a lot)

I'm not sure what led to this but i have to think the mounting pressure from their customer base contributed to this maybe being rushed through development. Granted, it came out almost a year later than they initally said it would but i saw a lot of people give up on the iKamand and buy a different controller because they got sick of waiting.

This mounting pressure from the community had to contribute in some way to the issues we're seeing now. I'm not saying the testing was rushed, but i dont think enough was done prior to the launch of the product in terms of server capacity at the very least.

The fact that the servers crashed on the 4th of July due to excessive load should highlight that

I'm sad the launch hasnt gone well and that people are experincing these issues. It looked like a really good product when it was first introduced but i cant help but feel like this whole thing has hurt KJs normally stellar reputation, which is a shame

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

Exactly

I think the inital idea was the iKamand was to stay on the grill perminatly but as they got further and further into the project they realised that wasnt the best idea.

The whole project looks like it was 3/4 of a good idea. There are a lot of features that look really good on paper, its just the execution of those idea has floundered a bit (a lot)

I'm not sure what led to this but i have to think the mounting pressure from their customer base contributed to this maybe being rushed through development. Granted, it came out almost a year later than they initally said it would but i saw a lot of people give up on the iKamand and buy a different controller because they got sick of waiting.

This mounting pressure from the community had to contribute in some way to the issues we're seeing now. I'm not saying the testing was rushed, but i dont think enough was done prior to the launch of the product in terms of server capacity at the very least.

The fact that the servers crashed on the 4th of July due to excessive load should highlight that

I'm sad the launch hasnt gone well and that people are experincing these issues. It looked like a really good product when it was first introduced but i cant help but feel like this whole thing has hurt KJs normally stellar reputation, which is a shame

The first generation of BBQ Guru’s were plagued with issues as well.  It’s no really a surprise.  I haven’t been rushing out to get an iKamand.  I figured it would run into issues during the initial release. 

They should consider using a metal adaptor vs trying to make the controller an integrated part of the grill.  I think it’s a case I also trying to make the iKamand into

too many things like making it high temp fire stoker.  

On 7/9/2018 at 2:26 PM, b00st4ddicted said:

Anyone pre-ordered these?  If so, how is it?  I can't seem to find it anywhere that I can pre-order one anymore =\

Do you have to take the joe/big joe out of the stand for installation?  Thanks in advance!

I've been trying to find it myself with no luck. 

8 minutes ago, tbaby3333 said:

I've been trying to find it myself with no luck. 

You should not have to take the bigjoe out of the stand.  

Option 1) remove the firebox, loses the the nuts/screws on the vents, and slide the adapter plate on.  

Option 2) this has worked on every bigjoe I have touched 3 or 4. I know some folks tell me they can’t to it, so I will say say it is the end all be all method.  Slide and wiggle the vent cover out of the tracks.  Slide the new adapter plate in.  Done. 30 seconds. 

1 hour ago, Ben S said:

Option 1) remove the firebox, loses the the nuts/screws on the vents, and slide the adapter plate on.  

Option 2) this has worked on every bigjoe I have touched 3 or 4. I know some folks tell me they can’t to it, so I will say say it is the end all be all method.  Slide and wiggle the vent cover out of the tracks.  Slide the new adapter plate in.  Done. 30 seconds. 

This works perfectly.  The vent slides out on it’s own if you a pull it past the two screws.

8 hours ago, Ben S said:

Ben, where did you get your ikamand from? I can't find it online.