Red River Smoke

Pit Boss vs Akorn

Couple of quick observations comparing some of the features of the Pit Boss to the Akorn.

Ash collection, so much nicer on the Akorn!  I can see an ash basket in the near future and a drywall dust filter on my small shop vac.

The tool hooks. I'm not sure if my PB is put together wrong, but when I fold the sides down the tools all fall off, I would just leave my grate cleaners and other things hanging on the Akorn and throw the cover over.  Might have to just drill some holes for S hooks like the Akorn.

The thermometer.  Minor, but the shape of the grill determines this, the Akorn is more forward facing, so I could see it out of the window, the PB I need to actually look over the top.

That being said I don't regret the upgrade, it's just funny what you get used to on one that the other doesn't have.

I've owned both as well ...there are some other differences in the (2) but the truth is they're more similar than different. I know the "upgrade" to the PB is something I have never regretted. The benefits of the PB outweigh the negatives for me but the truth is I could be happy with either the Akorn or the PB. Heck you can do what I did and after upgrading to the PB go out and buy a Akorn Jr. to reminisce with. LOL

I went to Walmart earlier this year to buy an Akorn that was supposed to be on clearance.

They didn't have one but a manager offered me a NIB PB22 for $300, regular $600, so I jumped on it, my first Kamado.

The bamboo tables were only on it when first assembled, I have places to sit things in my grilling area, and I know that, even covered, they will not hold up well.

26592391958_5a4106c4e8.jpg