Sign in to follow this  
GaryB

Questions about moving an older Kamado

Hi, I'm new here and I have a chance to buy an older Kamado K7 or K5, not sure. My question is how am I going to lift this thing into the back of my truck. I am 62 years old and 160 lbs, my friend from work is 35 years old and 230  lbs., young strong kid. The guy I'm buying from said 2 guys lifted it in the back of his truck when he bought it. He says it weighs around 400 lbs, but I think he's guessing. A K7 is around 500lbs., a K5 around 400 lbs., right? I was going to lay it down on an old mattress in the back of my truck and strap it down. This one has the wheels, not the tripod stand type. Should we disassemble the lid from the body? Any help greatly appreciated! Sorry for the lousy pics. Will take better ones if I'm able to get her home, and then will need some advice on restoring, thanks much.

kamado1.jpg.681f6c0a17947e45d2e48f9e3c7fe7d0.jpgkamado2.jpg.ca63ea0df94331835424cfc186f31c48.jpg

I would definitely consider disassembly, but be careful about doing that too, parts are likely brittle. I wouldn’t remove any internal pieces except for grates though.  Is renting a truck with a lift gate out of the question?

Thanks 5698k, from some research I think there are 3 bolts holding the top/lid on. Was going to PB Blast them and hope for the best and replace with new stainless hardware. All I know is the guy said it's just been sitting for a few years, I'm assuming outside. Can't really afford renting a truck with a lift gate. It's only about a 35 minute ride so it's worth going to give it a try.

Any chance you could rent a Low Boy trailer with a ramp? It might make things easier. You're right

that the K5 is ~ 400# and the K7 is ~ 550#. Usually the charcoal bowl and the ring supporting it are

stuck in place pretty firmly. Removing it could be a challenge. Let us know how you make out.

Rather different, but I once put a 350# diesel engine in a passenger car. I removed the passenger seat and slid the engine up a wooden plank. I've also seen a car driven onto a ship on two ramps of bolted timbers. I suggest a sturdy ramp with a block and tackle or a come along. Be careful and never get down stream of a heavy weight. Pull, don't push. You might also do a search online about moving heavy objects into a pickup. A hoist or a-frame might help. Good luck.

Well thanks for the replies folks, talked to the guy and he says between him and my friend they will be able to lift it into the back of my Silverado. I told him I was going to lay it down in the bed on a mattress, he said when he hauled it he had it upright in the truck. Problem is I have a shell on my truck. He said I'd may lose a few more tiles if I do it my way but I have no choice at this point. He has most of the tiles that already fell off so what do I have to lose by having to replace a few more tiles. He showed me some pics of the inside and says the firebox is broken, can't tell if the ring is good because of all the ash. Don't know diddley about these Kamados as I've never owned one but always wanted to. So we are going to get it tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!

After more research this Kamado looks almost exact to marauders K7.

Well, I finally got her today. I think this is a Richard Johnson K5 Kamado. 42" high, 18" cast iron cooking grate. The fire ring looks good, the firebox is all broken up in the bottom but appears to be all there, the inside looks good no cracks but I'll have to clean it up to be sure. So here's some questions for you guys. What's the best way to clean the inside to get rid of all the old ash? I was thinking about using high temp rtv to put the tiles back on, is there a better way? Going to use refractory cement to try and put the firebox back together. I got this thing for $50 and paid my son and a friend $40 to help me get it and lift/move it, pretty heavy maybe 400lbs. Looking forward to restoring her and will need all the help I can get from you guys here, and I thank you in advance. I will keep you all updated with pics as the restoration of this beautiful/ functional piece of art proceeds.BTW the original owner was a doctor in Seattle that gifted it to him and it's been sitting unused for 5 years outside with a cover, which he also gave me.

k51.jpg

k52.jpg

k53.jpg

Nice score on the Richard Johnson K5 Kamado. It looks to be in pretty good shape
for as old as it is. I'd guess that it's from the mid-late 90's era based on the
wheel cart. Later models had a leg type base with wheels. As for cleaning the inside
you might try a soft nylon brush to get some of the loose stuff off the sides then
follow up with a shop vac to get all the ash and whatever brushed off the sides. You
may have to do a little scraping on the bottom if the ash hardened a bit. That should
get it pretty clean.

I have a K5 and measured the fire bowl which turns out to be 8" dia. If you can't get
the bowl puzzle re-cemented, you might look into something like a Lodge cast iron
trivet.

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/camp-ovens-and-grills/cast-iron-trivet-meat-rack.asp

It's a close fit and may work. Kamado owners have used this in the past on smaller K's
and it works well. Some other brand Kamado's also use cast iron for charcoal grates
and you would have to research that to find a grate that would work for you.

Another lead is Kamado Rocket, which supposedly bought out RJ's operation. They
may have a replacement part however I don't know how responsive they are.
Actually, it's Galaxy Outdoors.

https://galaxyoutdoor.com/buy-kamado-rocket-one-bbq-grills-online/

I would highly recommend a charcoal basket too. RJ used to sell them as an option
and they are well worth the money. A good source today is KickAsh Baskets.

https://www.kickashbasket.com/

The basket will make it easier to remove unused charcoal and clean the ring and bowl
of ash. It also keeps the hot coals from sitting directly on the bowl and ring. Just
my opinion but I think that this helps prevent the bowl and ring from cracking.

As for tile repair / replacement, I've attached a PDF that RJ posted or sent

out some time back.

I hope all this helps and good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
BTW, Welcome to the Kamado Family.

MinorTileRepair1.pdf

On 7/16/2018 at 11:09 AM, K_sqrd said:

Nice score on the Richard Johnson K5 Kamado. It looks to be in pretty good shape
for as old as it is. I'd guess that it's from the mid-late 90's era based on the
wheel cart. Later models had a leg type base with wheels. As for cleaning the inside
you might try a soft nylon brush to get some of the loose stuff off the sides then
follow up with a shop vac to get all the ash and whatever brushed off the sides. You
may have to do a little scraping on the bottom if the ash hardened a bit. That should
get it pretty clean.

I have a K5 and measured the fire bowl which turns out to be 8" dia. If you can't get
the bowl puzzle re-cemented, you might look into something like a Lodge cast iron
trivet.

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/camp-ovens-and-grills/cast-iron-trivet-meat-rack.asp

It's a close fit and may work. Kamado owners have used this in the past on smaller K's
and it works well. Some other brand Kamado's also use cast iron for charcoal grates
and you would have to research that to find a grate that would work for you.

Another lead is Kamado Rocket, which supposedly bought out RJ's operation. They
may have a replacement part however I don't know how responsive they are.
Actually, it's Galaxy Outdoors.

https://galaxyoutdoor.com/buy-kamado-rocket-one-bbq-grills-online/

I would highly recommend a charcoal basket too. RJ used to sell them as an option
and they are well worth the money. A good source today is KickAsh Baskets.

https://www.kickashbasket.com/

The basket will make it easier to remove unused charcoal and clean the ring and bowl
of ash. It also keeps the hot coals from sitting directly on the bowl and ring. Just
my opinion but I think that this helps prevent the bowl and ring from cracking.

As for tile repair / replacement, I've attached a PDF that RJ posted or sent

out some time back.

I hope all this helps and good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
BTW, Welcome to the Kamado Family.

MinorTileRepair1.pdf

Thank you, lots of good info! Gonna start working on it this weekend.