Sign in to follow this  
Rob_grill_apprentice

Multigrain sourdough sandwich style bread

This weekend I converted a Peter Reinhardt multigrain bread recipe in crust and crumb to use sourdough starter in place of instant yeast.    The process was a two day process, as a firm biga was made using ripe sourdough starter in place of yeast which needs to be prepared day ahead.    Then the yeast was replaced with sourdough starter in final dough recipe.   I also changed technique in recipe,  as I have Bosch Universal Plus mixer.    I added warm water and room temperature butter milk to mixer bowl to which I then added bread flour and multigrain mix 1 and mixed together and then allowed it to soak up the buttermilk and water for 2 hours.    After the 2 hours then add all the other other ingredients including ripe sourdough starter.  I scaled up the recipe to make 2 x 2 lbs loafs.    The process  I used for replacing yeast was use total bread wet weight and multiple that weight by 1/6. ( divide by 6).   My sourdough starter was 100% hydration, the  water and flour had to be adjusted accordingl.   ie if 100 g sourdough starter used, flour was reduced by 50 g and water was reduced by 50 g.    The final rise took approximately 3 hours which was longer than instant yeast process.   The final taste doesn’t taste like traditional sourdough, it tastes more  like  gourmet multigrain sandwich loaf.  My pans are 10x5, which I why I targeted final loaf weight of  approximately 2 lbs for each loaf.   Loafs baked at 350F until internal temp reached 205 F.  I checked about 25 minutes into baking and temp was a bout 180F but my target was 195 to 205.    Caught it just in time with second internal temp check.    I will now work on scaling up to 4 x 2 lb loafs.   For firm biga I will scale to use all of biga instead just using portion of frim biga.  

D2B7BBD5-BDE5-40A4-B0EE-3C36E19E1514.jpeg

89D72F9B-F0E9-4680-886B-7FFE4A9E9779.jpeg

C8526121-FC1E-4B0A-B467-6037EE7540D2.jpeg

FFCF20D7-8B52-4B15-B380-0A456D7ECC3E.jpeg

I also modified recipe now for 24 hour soak on all ingredients except salt and firm biga.   To be kept at room temp.    Tastes very nice.    This is batch I made last night .  Whole wheat multigrain sourdough, my finalized recipe. 

A3066790-53F6-4AB7-998A-1C6623EDAE19.jpeg

No clue how I missed this post the first time around....  That looks amazing!  Whole wheat multigrain sourdough is right up my alley!  Very nice job. Did the final recipe vary much other than what you noted?

On 8/8/2018 at 8:01 PM, KismetKamado said:

No clue how I missed this post the first time around....  That looks amazing!  Whole wheat multigrain sourdough is right up my alley!  Very nice job. Did the final recipe vary much other than what you noted?

Not much other than  the 24 hour soak which really improved the flavour.