Red River Smoke

Iron Range Porketta

This is gleaned from a few different recipes and this is not the traditional Italian Porchetta but I think the seasonings might be similar. From what I gather this is a traditional northeastern Minnesota preparation of a pork shoulder that was invented or introduced in the mining communities of the Iron Range.  If you get into the right area they have this prepared in the butcher case to take and cook. That's what I know about the history, but I can tell you it's peppery, garlicky and delicious so onto the recipe. 

1 pork butt, deboned and butterflied

2 T kosher salt

2 T ground black pepper

1 T garlic powder

1 T Paprika

3 T fennel seed, toasted and ground into powder

2 T Italian seasoning

1 T EVO

7-12 garlic cloves, minced

1 fennel bulb, diced

1 bunch of the fennel fronds, minced (I was unclear on this, but just used the feather parts, not the thicker stalks)

1 bunch of Italian parsley, chopped fine

IMG_0491.thumb.jpg.daf7f41292ab1daf236e478fbf24c2a0.jpg

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl, except the EVO, just work that into the butterflied pork.  Then spread the rub mix onto the pork liberally, into all the nooks and crannies. Then roll up and tie off with some butcher string. I wrapped mine in parchment paper and foil and let it sit for about 16 hours refrigerated before unwrapping and putting on the grill.

IMG_0492.thumb.jpg.9560e175d1d4a9846c63d8923f5d3948.jpg

Get the grill to standard pulled pork temp, 225 to 300 degrees, I threw some apple and cherry chunks in with the lump.

IMG_0496.thumb.jpg.06fd62fc4db656bbabb5a9b4bec907db.jpg

I also cooked a traditional BBQ pork shoulder concurrently to cover everyone's taste buds. Cooked to about 200 degrees or until it probes easily.

IMG_0501.thumb.jpg.81123e35c904f606639f35886e918c58.jpgIMG_0499.thumb.jpg.e65cac8ef4262d737862fdb9cb170e97.jpg

Sorry, forgot the money shot, but shred it and try to keep as much of the rub as possible, it's FULL of flavor. Makes good sandwiches on either crusty or soft rolls,  traditional condiments are stone ground mustard, mayo or even ketchup, but I preferred the mustard.  Serve warm or room temperature. 

3 hours ago, Red River Smoke said:

Oh, just kind of spread it over the pork before putting the rub on, seemed to make it stick better.

oh, just realized I read your directions wrong.  I see what to do with the EVO now.

Well @TKOBBQI've never actually had it before, but my wife has one time and she thought it was a little less peppery than she remembered. So even if it's not authentic it's pretty tasty. I was a big shot in the dark for me, kinda skeptical of all that fennel, and not a lot of recipes online to pull from, but I was happy with the end results.  I may try to order a spice packet from a place in Eli MN and see what that tastes like sometime.

OK Red River, getting ready to give this a go this weekend.  We are also going to do 2 butts, 1 BBQ and 1 your porchetta recipe.  Did you foil the butts during the last part of the cook, or just leave them unwrapped until 200 degrees?

1 hour ago, Pigfqr said:

OK Red River, getting ready to give this a go this weekend.  We are also going to do 2 butts, 1 BBQ and 1 your porchetta recipe.  Did you foil the butts during the last part of the cook, or just leave them unwrapped until 200 degrees?

As a rule I don't foil, this was a bit of a weird cook and I ran out of lump so I just pulled them out and foiled them and finished in the oven.  I like a nice bark to mix into the meat, if you would like it a little less bark the foil helps, or if you want to push through the stall faster.   Good luck and let me know how the Porketta turns out!

15 hours ago, Red River Smoke said:

As a rule I don't foil, this was a bit of a weird cook and I ran out of lump so I just pulled them out and foiled them and finished in the oven.  I like a nice bark to mix into the meat, if you would like it a little less bark the foil helps, or if you want to push through the stall faster.   Good luck and let me know how the Porketta turns out!

Thanks, I have been watching a couple of other videos.  About how long was the cook?  From what I am seeing at about 250-275 it should take about 6-8 hours.  I was going to over-night them, but it seems if I start early Sunday morning, I should have them done, including resting by dinner time.

@Pigfqr I would think 6-9 hours at those temps should be in the ballpark, I really tried to stay low on that cook because usually I'm up closer to 300 and my stall  is pretty much a non event at that heat, but I wanted to experiment a bit and try a really long cook. I held 220 for about 12 hours when I started running out of lump (one of the butts was just leaving the stall at that point) and then it was another 1.5 to 2 hours in the oven at 275.  My porketta took a bit longer than the BBQ one because it ended up being thicker when it was all rolled up. I would say both ended up being equally moist.  I think next time I want to get separate pans under each one because I bet an au jus made of the porketta drippings would be pretty great. I need to find a smaller size than the half steamer foil pans I've been using.

I am going to try to have them on the grill by no later than 7:30 AM.  I'll try to keep the temp at  or slightly below 250 then, 220 might take a bit too long.  I'll make sure to fill 'er up with charcoal.  Wish me luck!

OK!  The butts are prepped and on the grill.  Current grill temp about 230 or so.  Sorry, wanted to get the lid shut, so no pic on the grill.  I changed the Porchetta recipe a bit.  I went ahead and just chucked the fennel bulb, fronds,  parsley, and garlic into the food processor.  I also added sage, rosemary, and shallot.  So here they are.  Update coming in about 3.5 hours once I hit the BBQ one with it's first spritz of apple juice/apple cider vinegar.

MVIMG_20180722_060822.jpg

IMG_20180722_060230.jpg

Well it has been 3.5 hours.  I have been holding temp between 225-235.  Internal temp is abut 130.  It's time for the first apple Juice/Cider vinegar spritz.

IMG_20180722_105037.jpg

MVIMG_20180722_105032.jpg