Sign in to follow this  
AntinOz

New toy - SmartFire

Ok, I admit it I'm a gadget freak. Phew, I feel better after saying that. This is made locally in Melbourne and they just did a good deal including the case and four probes.

IMG_20180717_181501.thumb.jpg.fb0907cae7607c0e335537f3f8effd54.jpg

The packaging is really good with space for everything. The red cases are winders for the probes

IMG_20180717_181525.thumb.jpg.98fea3e0bcbd6c381a152b003e316c63.jpg

The tiny red box is the controller with internal fan

IMG_20180717_181533.thumb.jpg.b6c13203a632968870b09954fa8c620b.jpg

I have it all setup on my Wifi and ready for bluetooth backup. I feel a pork shoulder coming on this weekend and will do a review afterwards. I had to post on here because my wife doesn't get why I am so excited.

4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

really like mine

Its run my last 10 low n slow cooks without a problem

Great product

Yeah, you helped me in my decision. I have seen a few positive comments from you. I also like that they are local, just hope I haven't gotten any of the suspect probes but know service will be quick if I have.

24 minutes ago, AntinOz said:

Yeah, you helped me in my decision. I have seen a few positive comments from you. I also like that they are local, just hope I haven't gotten any of the suspect probes but know service will be quick if I have.

Yeah, Mark is great to deal with if you have problems

I had an issue when i first got mine (user error) and he called me at 8am on a Sunday to talk me through it

Cant recomend them enough

So a quick update on this. Tested it out last night, it was DOA on the fan! I always say you can judge a company by customer support. We spent about an hour on messenger last night diagnosing it and Mark is sending me out a new fan today. Much easier than having to send the unit back and wait for replacement.

1 hour ago, AntinOz said:

So a quick update on this. Tested it out last night, it was DOA on the fan! I always say you can judge a company by customer support. We spent about an hour on messenger last night diagnosing it and Mark is sending me out a new fan today. Much easier than having to send the unit back and wait for replacement.

That sucks but i'm glad Mark made it right

Hope you have more luck the 2nd time around

Will update with some pics connected to my Akorn, bit for now I did my first cook with this just over a week ago. It was my first brisket as well as I got to my butcher too late and he had shut the saw down so I couldn't get a pork shoulder. Interesting graph below. I will show it and then some explanation. 

Screenshot_20180722-115935.thumb.jpg.44e475146d74a0e12b6856a9a8426153.jpg

The port temp in red is actually a lot better story than you see. The first drop was when I opened the lid and the second drop and spike was when we were diagnosing the probes. As you can see the temp on the probes was jumping all over the place although trending correctly. After much effort we worked out that the probes were incorrectly grounded to the outer braid so there metal kamado was grounding them out.

Hopefully replacement probes still ship out in the next week or so. Have to say this is highlighting all the downfalls of small scale production but the manufacturer and the community are really positive around this. 

When the new probes arrive I still do a complete review with pics. Good news is that the pit probe works perfectly so I can still dip cooks with it. 

Hi - wondered if you have progressed further with the Smartfire after getting initial issues sorted out?  I have an Akorn and am looking at possibly buying the S/F but lot of money if there are probs so would be good to hear whether your's ended up all okay or if there are other things to be aware of.

Cheers 

On 4/5/2019 at 11:53 AM, tacklepro said:

Hi - wondered if you have progressed further with the Smartfire after getting initial issues sorted out?  I have an Akorn and am looking at possibly buying the S/F but lot of money if there are probs so would be good to hear whether your's ended up all okay or if there are other things to be aware of.

Cheers 

Wow, first time I have been on here in a while so sorry for the late reply. Life has been getting in the way lately. All of my issues with the SF are sorted and it regularly maintains my Akorn for anything from a three-five hour rib cook through to a stupidly long brisket cook. I run mine of a 20,000MAh battery which is more than adequate for any of the long cooks I have done.

After the DOA fan, and the new probes I can't fault the unit. The only time I have issues now are if my WIFI drops out, and it still cooks, I just can't monitor it. My router is on one side of the house and I cook outside on the other side. My latest router upgrade seems to be much more stable for this. Whereabouts in NZ are you? I imagine after-sales support will be easier with only a two-three hour time difference if something does come up (I'm an ex-pat from way down south).