Sign in to follow this  
PlayaDelCarmen

Hi from a dutch guy living in Playa Del Carmen

Hi All,

I am Patrick, originally from the Netherlands. I moved to Playa Del Carmen last week for at least 6 months. After reading all topics on the forums about 3x the last couple of days I just got toooo excited and decided to bring an Akorn home with me. As a double left handed guy I took my time to put it together, cost me about 3 hours.

I bought the Akorn yesterday here at Soriana in Playa Del Carmen. It's a bit heavy price wise, I paid like 450$. At Wallmart it was even more expensive and ordering it from Amazon would take to long and 150$ customs charges. I opened it up in the store first to see if it looked good and was complete...because yes its still Mexico :)

Did a burn in at around 500 with a peak to 600 Fahrenheit yesterday.

Today I am starting to play with temp control (still limited to the temp meter on the Akorn itself untill I buy a better temp meter). Started "Volcano" style with a napkin with some olive oil. For now it seems to be holding at 200 Fahrenheit.

I was a bit hesistant to buy it at first because of the "mods" thread, there were a lot of problems with the older model. I think the Char-Griller people watched all the complaints and made a lot of improvements. I was affraid to get some older model here in Mexico because it's import, but I think this one has the latest improvements. The only thing missing, stil, is the heat deflector... I mean come on Char-Griller people... you learned a lot to make this product better from your customers, would it hurt to supply a nice heat deflector with it ? It's a necessity for the purpose most people buy the Akorn for.

Hope to learn a lot and make some nice meat fish and veggies soon!

Welcome to the forum Patrick and congratulations on your new Akorn.  Lots of folks here use them with great success.  Napkin with olive oil is a great way to start the fire.  I switched to cotton balls soaked in alcohol.  Both work fine, but I can keep a sealed jar of the balls next to the grill without worrying about it spoiling, and any drips evaporates.   

Welcome aboard! Playa Del Carmen is beautiful. I use my Akorn for grilling, baking, smoking, pizza and even stew. 

You might find a pizza stone or other substitute for the Smokin' Stone.

On 7/18/2018 at 12:37 PM, goonch said:

I bought the Vision Classic B from Sam's Club last week to replace an ancient Weber kettle. Cooked some marinated chicken breasts two nights ago, and wow did they taste good. Could really taste the smoke. Really excited about cooking and smoking on this grill. Weber kettle was okay. Also have a 25 year old CookOn propane grill that's built into an island. Sorely need to replace that also. Charred everything put on it.

One question, looking to buy a heat diffuser for the Vision, would a cast iron griddle, either whole or two halves, work as well the lava or ceramic stones.

Thanks

On 7/18/2018 at 3:26 PM, BobE said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Vision.  As for the heat deflector I'd recommend getting stone or ceramic, you won't be cooking on them and they won't rust.  

Well after not even a year my pizza stone was broken from heat. I did get a steel plate and seasoned it (I don't have any rust and its not going break) Your other option is a cast iron pan which is a good idea. Herman :good:

Patrick, welcome to the forum. I agree with you on the heat deflector, all kamados should come with one. I bought the Vision lava stone for my Vision B. 50.00!. With all the accessories and gadgets, these grills get expensive. 

Herman thanks for the input. Did buy the lava stone. Not convinced it will last too long. Did also buy a 14"round ci griddle to make smashburgers on, which turned out awesome.

Playa Del Carmen,

Welcome, the Akorn is an extremely popular grill largely due to it's reasonable price and the fact it allows buyers to experience kamado cooking with out taking out a 2nd on your house. I would take the reviews and mod posts with a grain of salt. Thousands of people turn out great food cooking on stock Akorns and you can too. The more you play with it the better your results. My only advice is cook a lot.