Ryno656

Heat Deflectors Leaking?

I've noticed the heat deflectors on my BJ2 seem to leak air in the middle. I push them together as tight as possible and there's one or two spots where I see smoke coming through (even flipping them does the same thing, albeit maybe not as bad?). Anyone else have this issue? I imagine an easy solution such as lining the middle area with foil would work, but I'm curious if this is a common concern? I'm a new owner so I've only done a few low and slow cooks but just noticed it on my last one, which would explain the under side of the meat getting a bit overdone/crispy a couple times.

Thanks!

The main reason for heat deflectors is to prevent the food form "seeing" the fire. You want to prevent radiative cooking by blocking the line-of-sight from food to fire. Hot air, however, must come around the deflector(s) in order to cook, so a little air coming up the middle isn't an issue as long as there isn't a gap.

If the underside of your food burns, I suggest moving things around, and inverting and rotating even single-piece cooks. Rib ends are particularly vulnerable, as they're ends, and they overhand the edge of the deflector, where the hot air is rising. Racks cut in two may let you avoid the edge completely. Damn, this is making me want to cook ribs...

HAve fun,

Frank

Thanks, I'm familiar with all that, but it's the center of the bottom of the ribs that's doing it (also the ends, but due to the reason you explained above).

Mine does the same thing

Its not usually an issue on shorter cooks but if i'm doing a 12-14hr brisket cook i notice the bottom gets a little overdone

I've taken to running a drip pan directly under my cooks with a little water in it as an insulator

Seems to have fixed it

Thanks guys, I figured I couldn't be the only one, and it's such a minor issue. Drip pan with a bit of moisture is a good idea as well. Thanks all

I took a couple photos last night, should there be this big of a gap between the deflector plates? You can see the deflector plates are pushed together completely by looking at the corners of it

20180731_195553.jpg

20180731_195611.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:38 AM, SeaBrisket said:

It's not something I'd be the least concerned about.

Mine do the same thing

I've actually over cooked the bottom of briskets due to gaps in the deflectors

Probably wouldnt be an issue if youre cooking at 225f and wrap but i tend to cook a little hotter and let mine go naked, so the bottom burns after an 12 hour exposure

I've since corrected the problem by running a water pan on the accessory rack and its fine now

On 8/9/2018 at 2:13 AM, Polar Bear said:

Mine do the same thing

I've actually over cooked the bottom of briskets due to gaps in the deflectors

Probably wouldnt be an issue if youre cooking at 225f and wrap but i tend to cook a little hotter and let mine go naked, so the bottom burns after an 12 hour exposure

I've since corrected the problem by running a water pan on the accessory rack and its fine now

yeah, i put a drip pan under my beef ribs last weekend and they came out great, so what little heat was coming up directly through that gap was now pushed around the drip pan. much better results when cooking at 260+

If the gap is big enough it’s burning your food, fill it with foil or a water pan. Try to sand the edge to fit better or open a warranty claim and get deflectors that fit correctly. 

On 6/26/2018 at 2:49 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

Nicely done! Causes of the crust: first, there is the question of membrane on or off, then the combination of sugar and just the natural process of bark formation, particularly if you don't wrap at some point in the cook. however, I have a sneaking suspicion that the prime culprit is a possible gap in the deflector plates. In the above pic, they appear tho fit snug at the back of the grill but have a gap toward the front. I make it a point of emphasis on low and slows to have these fit as tight as possible.

Yup, we talked about that, That definitely is a concern apart from using a drip pan or something to interupt that direct line of sight. Another issue is that if the food renders a lot of fat, ala a brisket,  that small opening is enough to begin scorching or igniting that fat at higher temps- 275° and above.