How often do you dump the ash pan?

2 hours ago, Doug123 said:

I've been dumping it every time I use it before I light the grill. Is that what most of you do?

Absolutely not!!! I've almost never  dumped it between every cook. I'll dump it when I can look through the bottom lump grate and see it's full of ash. I also usually dump it before a low-n-slow cook unless I recently dumped it already. 

With all that said - I'm lazy - LOL 

Then again I've burned through an entire bag of lump with never dumping the ash or stirring the old lump, just topping off with fresh. This experiment is posted on Kamado Guru just search under my name. 

Thanks ckreef, good to know. I guess I was thinking if the wind was blowing it might blow some ash around on my food but guess that doesn't happen with these grills.

I'm having a hard time finding the post you are referring to about your experiment. Can you give me a hint what the title is or what else to search for?

Thanks!

Here are a few different lump experiments I've done in the past that you might find interesting. 

https://www.kamadoguru.com/search/?&q=Experiment &author=ckreef&search_and_or=or&search_in=titles

These are with the Akorn, Akorn Jr and a Komodo Kamado. Also a couple of other experiments. 

I don't I remove the ash from the Akorn ash pan after every cook.  the design of the ash pan puts the ash below the air vents.  Not that I use the akorn a lot, but I tend to empty the ash pan after 4-5 cooks or so, usually there's not much ash when I dump it.

I use the Akorn once a week, alternating between long low-and-slows and hot-and-fasts, and might only have to dump the ash once every 4-8 weeks (even then I could probably go longer some times) - it simply doesn't generate a lot of ash.  I tend to dump it more often, just out of routine, but by no means would I have to.  I don't see any way the ash build up could interfere with my cook, and it simply doesn't accumulate enough to warrant mandatory dumping.

I dump it each and every cook with my ceramics.

It's really simple.....just open the vent and rake out the coals.

In the Akorn it's sort of a pain of the butt, but yeah.....I dumped it most every cook.

Maybe "I'm just silly that way," but part of my next-morning cooking ritual is to dump the ashes and then carefully wash and clean and dry every part of my (table-top) Akorn Jr., before putting it back away on the indoor shelf with the ash-pan still removed (for air circulation).  Years later, it still looks the way it did when I first took it out of the box.