Sign in to follow this  
Kentuckyboy76

A quick question on chicken

I did my first beer can chicken today. Came out well but I had a question, has anyone smoked one without the skin? Is it the same instructions in terms of rub, injection, cook time?

The reason I ask is because I really like the taste of the rub and was wondering if skinless would work so I can just apply the rub directly.

Thanks in advance all.

I believe the skin retains lots of moisture during the cooking.   Try running your hands under the skin to loosen it and apply the rub under the skin.   Then remove the skin before serving.  Have no idea precisely if the cook time would increase or not.

I do a Jacques Pepin recipe with a mix of mushrooms, parsley and garlic stuffed under the skin of the breast and thighs.  Adds a lot of flavor and keeps the chicken juicy.  Eat the skin of don't.  I wouldn't expect great results from a whole chicken cooked without the skin.

I just cooked two skinless breasts in my Akorn. Generally I just grill/bake them about 350, cover closed, no stone. When nearly ready I open the cover to crisp the outside. This time I threw a small handful of cherry chips on the coals at the start. Got a nice smoke flavor from, wouldn't want any more. I just sprinkled garlic salt on the meat before cooking, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a rub.

Cooking skinless breasts which cook quick is way different than a whole chicken.   I routinely cook skinless breasts and watch the temperature like a hawk.   SWMBO doesn't like dry breasts.   I get the thighs with skin and cook them longer so they come out about the same time as the breasts.   Sometimes it's a balancing act for sure.  Been balancing for going on 45 years now.   She still hasn't kicked me to the curb.:rofl:

On 7/21/2018 at 6:24 PM, Kentuckyboy76 said:

I did my first beer can chicken today. ...

Did you smoke it or roast it?

I just smoke a couple brined turkey breasts at 225-250F for four hours. The skin absorbs a huge amount of smoke flavor, moderating how much gets to the meat, but rendering the skin, itself, completely inedible. It's the only part I throw away. 

I've also roasted many a spatchcock chicken at 300-350F over direct heat for more like 45 minutes with quite edible, crispy skin. 

Without skin, the only good options are thin meat over direct, searing heat, for a little browning during a very short cook. Or whole breasts over very low, indirect heat, for very slow cooking and a lot more smoke flavor, if desired. But these aren't beer can approaches, but I can see replacing the skin... with bacon perhaps?

HAve fun,

Frank