Sign in to follow this  
ptmd

favourite way of making the dough

Hi All

What is everyone's favourite way of combining pizza dough ingredients?  or breads?

by stand mixer?

by food processor 

by hand

Totally depends on the recipe. I've done no-knead, stand mixer and by hand. Best to follow the recipe as the way it is mixed can be just as important as the ingredients and mixed wrong can yield less than optimum results. 

I use machine,   I do three kinds of pizza dough so far, a 00 flour dough which I now use 20%bread flour to 80% 00 which allows dough to stretch easier, a sourdough pizza dough and Chicago pizza style dough.   All three types I use my Bosch Universal Plus mixer, prior to getting the Bosch I used I Kitchen Aid stand mixer.   I find it easier to use machine and my hands don’t get covered in dough,  

On 7/24/2018 at 10:15 AM, ptmd said:

Hi All

What is everyone's favourite way of combining pizza dough ingredients?  or breads?

by stand mixer?

by food processor 

by hand

I f I am using J Kenji Lopez-Alt's recipe for NY pizza dough, I use the food processor. So fast, and soooo easy! So good too! Otherwise, it's the stand mixer with dough hook.

For years and years, I used to use our kitchen aide stand mixer exclusively. However for the last couple of years I have been using Ken Forkish's dough recipes and he recommends hand mixing in a tub, which is how I make my dough now. Having used both methods, I really don't see much difference in terms of work load or the time to prepare the standard 3 dough balls. However the Forkish recipes do have some more complicated rise and proofing methods. Personally, once you get the method down I enjoy hand mixing the best, although Ck is correct in that you need to follow the specific method prescribed for the recipe you are following.  I mostly use the 24 to 48 hour double rise, fridge proof method dough, which means I make my dough the afternoon of the day before I want to make pizza. In my experience, even with a  more complicated dough recipe, after you have done it a few times, the steps just start to become muscle memory. I type out the different dough recipes I use in a large easily readable font and then have them laminated to preserve them. I store the recipes I am into using in my dough tub so they are the first thing I find when I start making dough. 

Let's not forget no kneed doughs with a 24 hour counter rise. The King Arthur Artisan Dough is made that way and results are excellent. No kneeding just mixing in the beginning and stretching and shaping in the end.