Grill_Boy

Roasting Raw Coffee Beans

I like a good cup of Joe... been wondering about buying some raw coffee beans and 'roasting' them myself.
Found a few decent youtube videos on the subject - looks fun.
Since the process creates a lot of smoke I'm going to fire up the grill and do it outside...

Went to GoodWill and bought some good used cooking pans and mesh strainers for the process.

Anyone here done this?... I'll report back later and post some pics and observations.

What I've learned so far is: You need high heat ( 500 degrees or so ), the process takes about 9-12 minutes constantly
moving the beans around ( ie: wooden spoon! ), take them off just a hair short of the 'doneness' or 'color' you want,
put them in a strainer to cool them quickly and remove any little flakes, then store them in a container and DO NOT CLOSE IT

as the remaining gasses will dissipate, let them set up overnight - then grind and brew the next day... Sounds yummy!

Why:
Raw beans keep and last a LOT LONGER than previously roasted beans, which tend to lose flavor after a WEEK !

Plus - it's probably fun as hell and another reason to fire up the grill!

I don't know your grill set up but if you have rotisserie you can search amazon for "coffee roaster rotisserie" and they have quite a few options for baskets that is made to roast beans.

Like Ben S I have a Behmor 1600 and have not bought any pre roasted beans since

I started this hobby with a $5.00 air popcorn popper and switched to the Behmor a few months later and never looked back

Found another post on the site about it - yea this coffee I bought that was roasted on Tuesday ( by a pro dude ) was
damn good. Can't wait to get my raw-beans on Monday and crank it up. If it works out and management likes it ( the wife )
I will look into a rotisserie setup.

I done done it... damn it turned out good - for those interested it's a piece of cake...

Crank up the grill to around 500 - put the beans on - stir them now and again - take them off -

Cool 'em, shake off the skins, bag-em... ( don't seal in jar for 12 hours as CO2 will off-gas )...

Grind and enjoy... holy cow that's good stuff.

Cooked up the Guatemalan today.

1s.jpg

6s.jpg

For the record and what I've learned online:

After about 6-8 minutes ( stir once a minute or so as well ) you hear the first 'crack'.... (Light Roast)

Another 30-45 seconds after that you should get into the 'second' crack.
At this point the you are at a Medium Roast.... (what I cooked to today I think)
I didn't cook much beyond this point.

Add another 30 seconds and you'll be at the French Roast level. (darker)
Add another 30 seconds and you are into the Expresso Roast level. (even darker)

Add another 10 seconds and you done burned it up... LOL... so be careful.

My first batch was ( I think ) a Medium Roast.

Next batch I'm going a bit further.

More notes:
Bring the grill up to 500 before putting the beans on and leave the vents open.
As you open to stir around and shake around the beans you'll drop temp into the 485 range.
I stirred around with a wooden spoon about every 45 seconds or so, or when the grill got into the 515+ temp range.

By the time it gets back to 500+ it'll be time to open and stir and shake etc.

I bought a nice looking pan at Goodwill for $4.00, took off the handles and used it. Figured if I totally messed up
a pot at least the wife wouldn't hit me over the head with it. The one I bought appeared to be stainless, was relatively thick and figured it would distribute the heat well... and it did.

3s.jpg

I'm with Ben and Paul.  I have a Behmor 1600 as well and roast using that.  To be honest, I say go for it on the grill but I do buy pre-roasted beans as my backup and throw them in the freezer to cover me when the schedule doesn't allow me to roast before I run out.  I prefer to never use the backup but life gets busy with 3 kids, work, etc. and missing my coffee in the morning isn't an option.  Let us know how it comes out!

Wow, you gentlemen are into coffee!  I had never even considered this.  Not to highjack the thread but what sort of machines do you guys use to make your coffee with your home-roasted beans?

13 minutes ago, Ubergeek said:

Wow, you gentlemen are into coffee!  I had never even considered this.  Not to highjack the thread but what sort of machines do you guys use to make your coffee with your home-roasted beans?

Great question.  I’ll bet not something electric.

The Kamado of course..

I get it up to about 440 and then put the beans on.
For me it's a nice thick pan with angled sides I drilled a hole in it and use a piece of metal to move the pan around
while on the grill to 'agitate' the beans... kinda like the old Jiffy Pop routine. As the temp rises towards 500 I'll open
the hood to stir the beans around and let the temp drop a bit -

Rinse and repeat until the first crack and then about 10-seconds into the second crack dump the beans into 2 metal
strainers to cool down -

Total time to cook about 12-16 minutes...

Once cooled you bag the beans for 24 hours as they de-gas CO2 and then grind them per cup of the freshest coffee
you'll ever have. To date I find the Costa Rica beans produce a real nice taste but the Purple Mountain Kona from Hawaii
is to die for.

You can buy raw beans from  coffeebeancorral.com  ... it's fun - and damn tasty -

Impress your coffee drinking friends...!

There’s a very nice high end stainless mesh drum basket made by RK drums for Rotisserie roasting nuts, seeds and coffee.  The 4lbs 8x12 unit should be ideal for the Classic or a Big Joe. 

They cost a pretty penny at $275 USD.  I haven’t found a mesh stainless basket that was better designed than the RK drum. 

https://www.rkdrums.com/product/4lb-rk-drum/

9E2511E1-D1FE-4E43-9656-1A245911D486.jpeg

On 8/5/2018 at 6:03 PM, Ubergeek said:

Behmor 1600.

A joetissary would work as well. So would a heatgun and SS bowl.   

Check our sweetmarias.com.