Grill_Boy

Roasting Raw Coffee Beans

On 8/13/2018 at 7:19 PM, AntinOz said:

I think he's asking about coffee machines not roasters.I have a Breville The Barista Express. Very happy with it.

AntinOz is correct. I was asking about coffee machines. 

I home roast, have been for nearly a decade now. 

Excuse me I just choked on my words bc Lordy that means I must be getting old. 

I don’t use the kamado for roasting. I’ve gone through a few methods and am currently happy with a stove top popcorn popper (aka whirly pop) and an induction cooktop. Gives me a large batch size in a short roast time. Half an hour makes me a pound plus of coffee, enough for wifey and I to last a week. 

For brewing coffee, I also have many methods....the favored ‘at home’ approach is a standard gooseneck water kettle and a manual pour over coffee cone. Very flexible and precise. Also use a scale and a formula to determine grams of water to grams of coffee. Oh, and if you’re going to all this work and not using a $150 or so burr grinder you’re sort of wasting your time (my opinion). 

On 7/29/2018 at 10:24 PM, Grill_Boy said:

I done done it... damn it turned out good - for those interested it's a piece of cake...

Crank up the grill to around 500 - put the beans on - stir them now and again - take them off -

Cool 'em, shake off the skins, bag-em... ( don't seal in jar for 12 hours as CO2 will off-gas )...

Grind and enjoy... holy cow that's good stuff.

Cooked up the Guatemalan today.

So what happens to all the chaff using this method?

6 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Also, how much weight is lost during roasting? I'm trying to figure out how cost effective this is, compared to buying roasted beans from the cafe down the street.

I forget the exact amount of weight lost during roasting...it is not insignificant, but it isn’t bad either. If you can find beans for 5-8 dollars a pound green, then even with some weight loss to roasting your cost effectiveness will blow Starbucks or any gucci coffee shop beans out of the water. I get my beans at 6-7 a pound, but the quality I get out of home roasting would only be achievable buy purchasing from a local coffee roaster fresh every week in the neighborhood of 20-25 a pound. I’m not losing anywhere close to that much weight in the roast. 

As for storage, green beans keep for a long time. A year or more. Store in a cool, dry place. Your pantry is fine, or some other closet in the house. I wouldn’t store them outside but the garage would probably be fine. 

Thanks. I ordered 6 pounds of beans, 2 different kinds, from coffeebeancorral. Including shipping, it came out to $49, just over $8/lb. That's about half what my local cafe charges for a pound of roasted beans, which could be a couple weeks old before I buy them - they don't stamp a date on the package.

I'll have to give this a shot, maybe next weekend.

The beans delivered today, I couldn't wait until the weekend. I weighed out half a pound of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, spread them on a perforated pizza pan, and roasted them in the kamado between 450* and 490* for about 15 minutes.

Before:

IMG_20180829_184431.thumb.jpg.d2d4b328c94cb09fabf6f6642a6e81aa.jpg

After:

IMG_20180829_204743.thumb.jpg.996edd56556e250b5fc9db89203beb81.jpg

Can't wait to try it out in the morning.

Yesterday I brewed them in my Aeropress with 190* water, (my typically preferred temp for medium to medium dark roasts). The coffee was flavorful, but a little too smooth, needed some acidity. Today I brewed it at 200*, and that brought out just a little bite and bitterness, and it was really delicious, some of the best coffee I've had in a long time. Having an extra day to de-gas may have helped as well.

I find that storing the roasted beans in a rolled up bag for a day or 2 or 3 helps. I bought some bags with an one-way valve. Ended up buying the Fresh Roast SR500 which does a fine job but reverted back to the grill to control the actual heat better. I find I can extend the First Crack much longer on the grill than in the machine.