Jump to content
ptmd

My first pizza...

Recommended Posts

My first pizza on my pit boss k24.  The pizza dough rested for 48 hrs....  (tipo 00, 65% water, package of dry active yeast,  and 7.5 grams of salt).  wow, the dough was more airy with letting it rest in the fridge for 48hrs.  i gotta get myself some empty yogurt containers (i used my cereal bowls).

 

Basic toppings, soft cheese, basil, sauce, copacolla and la bamba

 

a few mistakes on my part

 

1. making the pizza shape - yeah, i suck

2. make sauce from scratch - how?

3. my peel sucks - need a new launching peel

4. my stone cracked - need a new stone 

5. took a long time to get to 600f,  did not reach 800f - probably need more coals hotter earlier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, that pizza looks great!  You can't believe how many "free form" pizzas I made with with a metal peel until I gave up and started using cooking parchment.  I'm about to enter a new learning curve since I can now achieve higher temps than I could do with the Akorn.  Probably going to have to invest in a wood peel and see if that works better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 9:10 PM, ptmd said:

My first pizza on my pit boss k24.  The pizza dough rested for 48 hrs....  (tipo 00, 65% water, package of dry active yeast,  and 7.5 grams of salt).  wow, the dough was more airy with letting it rest in the fridge for 48hrs.  i gotta get myself some empty yogurt containers (i used my cereal bowls).

 

Basic toppings, soft cheese, basil, sauce, copacolla and la bamba

 

a few mistakes on my part

 

1. making the pizza shape - yeah, i suck

2. make sauce from scratch - how?

3. my peel sucks - need a new launching peel

4. my stone cracked - need a new stone 

5. took a long time to get to 600f,  did not reach 800f - probably need more coals hotter earlier

I'm new to making pizzas on a stone and am fundamentally uncoordinated - launching pizzas from a peel onto the stone would result in disaster. I saw a tip about making the pizzas on a pizza tray  and placing them on the stone for two minutes before removing. This allows the dough to firm up and makes it easier to move the pizza to the stone. You also seem to get most of the benefits of the stone.

 

I tried this just the other night to see how it would work out for me and until I somehow get more coordinated with the launching of pizzas from peel to stone this is the way I'll be doing it. My wife said the crust of the pizza was crunchier than cooking only on the pizza tray and she likes that I didn't ruin a pizza by failing to launch properly. All the benefits of a pizza stone with minimal risk of making things fall apart. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish my first pizzas turned out as well as yours did. It's a journey and you're well on your way.

 

FWIW, this is they system I use and it works pretty well for me. Heat deflector under main grill, then stone on grill, and a second stone to deflect heat downward on upper rack of my Akorn. I had a stone that was cracked that I used for many years as the upper stone and only recently replaced it with a better one for the bottom:

IMG_7445.thumb.JPG.6299ef246363d67bc26d91707dcbca0d.JPGIMG_7444.thumb.JPG.b96c2c2798fa623b19f87103b2152787.JPGIMG_7434.thumb.JPG.015dabfa348c28dcaff6b951bc62e8f8.JPG 

Enjoy learning how to do this, and many thanks to the members here who are so good about sharing their experience.

 

dh14ster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 8:46 PM, ptmd said:

just got myself a wooden peel

 

now buy (gift) will be the baking steel

 

 

will be interested in seeing how the steel works out.

 

I got one, used it once and cremated the base of the pizza so wonderfully, i never used it again :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2018 at 3:18 PM, dh14ster said:

Enjoy learning how to do this, and many thanks to the members here who are so good about sharing their experience.

 

 

thanx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KamadoJosephine said:

, used it once and cremated the base of the pizza so wonderfully

that is what i am worried about.. Alas, i still have another stone, slightly thicker than the one that cracked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KamadoJosephine said:

 

will be interested in seeing how the steel works out.

 

I got one, used it once and cremated the base of the pizza so wonderfully, i never used it again :rofl:

 

what did you end up doing with it? and which one did you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ptmd said:

 

what did you end up doing with it? and which one did you use?

 

It's currently stored in my hierarchical BBQ filing system, underneath my long-unused gasser.  Last I checked, it was developing a nice even coating of rust :rofl:

 

IMO (and it's just an O, based on no real research and 1 failed attempt) the steel is good if you want a relatively low dome temp and a relatively high stone temp, as it really sucks in the heat and delivers it like a thermal pile-driver to the pizza crust.

 

I typically run a very high dome temp, cos i like to cook fast and like the top to be nice and crispy.  If I was cooking in the kitchen oven or on a (relatively) low temp KJ, then the steel could be good.

 

Not sure which one it was.  Got if off the internet here in Australia.  Weighs about 10kg from memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×