Sign in to follow this  
Marbque

Stickburning taking all the time but Beef Ribs are rewarding

Spent some time yesterday with just the wife and I making some beef ribs on out stickburner, first time in forever that we have not had to cook for an event, so it was nice to just be able to have some hot dogs for appetizer while waiting on these beef ribs. Hope everyone’s Sunday is enjoyable and relaxing enjoy

248BB07E-8274-47CF-A6B7-D303EF2921D8.jpeg

DBC8CB5D-2458-4619-B333-EFD74EB54758.jpeg

C3DCBB67-2661-4D34-B416-4053A2DADCF0.jpeg

3B255928-5CA8-4A8D-967E-AE06C31FACA1.jpeg

9569B994-7527-4BC8-AF35-A34F583D8044.jpeg

1 hour ago, philpom said:

Ribs look great, I love building a fire in the offset and spending a day with it!  Today though it was pork shoulder carnitas on the Primo.

You can always run them both :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By GrillDawg
      Fired up the Kamado Joe today for some baby back ribs. Followed the video @John Setzler posted on YouTube. My rack ended up being a little smaller than the one in the video so I never quite got the bend test, but these were definitely some of the best ribs I have ever had. Pics below!

Baby Back Ribs
      Rub: A custom one made by Lanes BBQ (a local BBQ place located in Bethlehem, GA). On Father's Day our church gave out a custom rub Lane's made to all the dads. It was great!!
      Sauce: Sweet Baby Ray's diluted with some apple juice
      Cook time: 5ish hours
      Smoked with some cherry blocks

1. Put them on the grill around 12:30PM

2. ~2 hours into cook

3. Profile shot (~3 hours)

4. Gettin' saucy (~4 hours)

5. Nice color and glaze. This was right before I took them off.

6. Plated w/ roasted broccoli and cauliflower plus roll

7. Yessir!

8. Fall off the bone!

9. Gotta shoutout to one of my favorite breweries and they are located 5 min away: Terrapin Beer!

Really enjoyed this cook today. Excited to take the leftovers and make a hash with them in the morning!

• By sylvester hut
      Ingredients
      600 g / 1.2 lb boneless ribeye
      2 tbsp vegetable oil , divided
      1 large onion sliced
      300 g / 10 oz mushrooms , sliced
      40 g / 3 tbsp butter
      2 tbsp flour
      2 cups / 500 ml beef broth low sodium
      1 tbsp Dijon mustard
      150 ml / 2/3 cup sour cream
      Salt and pepper to taste
      Steps
       Step 1
      Use  rolling pin  to flatten the steaks. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Slice into strips.
       Step 2
      Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Spread the strips in the pan with tongs . Sear for 30 seconds on each side.  Quickly remove back onto the plate. Sear the beef in batches if needed.
       Step 3
      Turn heat down to medium high. Add butter, melt. Then add onions, cook for 1 minute, then add mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until golden. Scrape bottom of fry pan to get all the golden bits off. Add flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
       Step 4
      Add half the broth while stirring Add the rest of the broth. Stir, then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until combined.
       Step 5
      Simmer for 3-5 minutes, add more salt and pepper to taste.
       Step 6
      Add beef back in. Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from stove immediately.
       Step 7
      Serve over egg noodles.
      Original recipe with pics and nutrition info you can find here: beefstroganoff Enjoy delicious and tasty beef!
    • By kpkacts238
      Hi all,

Tonight I fired up the KJ and threw on some baby back ribs and corn on the cob in the husk. I've used this method to cook ribs before (it is a variation of the Texas crutch method) but this was my first time with my new KJ and I gotta say, they were amazing! See pictures.

So thought I would share my instructions and recipe for anyone that is interested. If not, no biggie. I'm no grill boss or expert, just a man who enjoys fine grilled meat.

Homemade dry rub recipe:
      Brown sugar and crushed red pepper concoction... At the time of writing this I am not able to access my written recipe (I already had some premade dry rub ready to go) but I will get it tomorrow and update this post.

Step 1. Soak wood chips in water for about 1 hour (I used pecan wood chips this time). If your using big chunks, then really only need a few. If using small chunks, a few handfuls.

Step 2. Fire up the KJ with 3/4 - full firebox. Close lid after it's been going 10-15 minutes with bottom and top vents fully open. At about 180 degrees I shut bottom vent about 3/4. At about 200 degrees I begin to dial in the temperature with the top vent (I have the older style Daisy wheel vent so I shut the vent completely but left the daisy wheel holes open). Temp should level out at about 225. Give the grill plenty of time but keep an eye and make small adjustments as necessary. Don't get the grill too hot as it's much harder to bring temp down than to bring temp up slowly. Temp control and mastery is part of the art of grilling (I'm not against temp controllers if you're wondering), be patient. Of the few cooks I've already done on my KJ, I've been able to successfully bring it up to temp and maintain it for as long as necessary by being patient and realizing that less is more when it comes to adjustments.

Step 3. (You can do this while bringing grill up to temp) Prepare your ribs. I like to do a quick pat to remove excess blood and liquid but don't pat dry; just enough to keep it from dripping. Use a healthy dose of dry rub on both sides of the ribs and all over.

Step 4. With your coals white hot, add wet wood chips evenly to firebox and then set your Divide and Conquer grilling system onto the firebox with heat deflectors in place (full moon) and stainless steel grates on top. Place ribs on grill bone side down (irrelevant if using rib rack) and shut the lid. Let these smoke for only about 25-30 minutes at 225 degrees just enough for the meat to get it's smoke ring and absorb the flavor of the smoke. Wood chips will help tremendously with flavor and producing a lot of smoke. Internal temp of ribs should reach about 130 but no higher than 140.

Step 5. Time to get your Texas crutch ready (aluminum foil). Wrap ribs in Aluminum foil completely and place back on grill. Adjust vents to bring grill up to about 300-315 degrees. These will cook on here about 30-40 minutes but it's important to flip the ribs every 8-10 minutes. If you don't then that aluminum foil is gonna overcook one side. Internal temp of ribs should reach about 175 degrees.

Step 6. Remove ribs in Aluminum foil from grill and set to the side (probably on a pan or something so you don't ruin your side tables). Use grate gripper to remove grates and then use a combination of your ash tool and the grate gripper (with a mit on) to safely remove the heat deflectors and then replace your grates. Unwrap your ribs and baste with BBQ sauce (I use sweet baby Ray's) on bone side first, then set ribs back onto grate bone side down and baste the top side of the ribs with sauce. Shut the lid but don't go far. You'll need to turn the ribs and rebaste every 4-5 minutes. Do this twice for each side (4 times total) to create a nice glaze using the direct heat.

Step 7. You're ready to cut, serve, enjoy. Grab some extra napkins. Total cook time should only be about 70-90 minutes (the Texas Crutch method really reduces time it takes to cook amazing ribs), rely on a combination of both time and internal temp readings and remember to account for variables. This is based on cooking baby back ribs and not spare ribs (which are generally larger and would require longer cooking times).

Hope someone finds this beneficial. Sorry if I was writing everything with baby steps. I wanted someone who may be a new KJ owner like me to be able to have full instructions with details on how to cook ribs and operate their new grill.

Thanks

• By Marbque
      Wife decided she wanted some ribs yesterday but we were pressed with time with all of the rearranging going on in the yard. Managed to finish these in just under 2 hours. Of course wife deep fried a few.