Sign in to follow this  
Dub

Breakfuss.....mission critical !!!

I can say with today's breakfast.....it was much better than yesterday's protein shake on the way out the door.

Hour-plus round trip to the doctor and 4 hour appointment/testing/consult for my wife & her doctor all went well.  Very relieved.  Confirmed & ruled out some stuff that had been concerning us.

So relieved, in fact.....that we both slept 12+ hours last night....catching up on the missed sleep over the past few days.  I can't remember last time I slept so long or so well. Relief and answered prayers evidently added to the comfort that cool weather and a warm blanket provided.  Good stuff, folks. image.gif.d923b0221ebdb0f4cd02d0c397485414.gif

I still beat the sunrise on getting out of bed (which tells ya how early I crashed yesterday evening).  Started stirring and dogs realized I was about to be oscar mike and went nutz to get downstairs and outside in hopes there would be squirrels to chase into the trees.  Still too dark for that action, but coffee was made and by the second cup....I was able to go out and watch 'em get after the limb rats.  Our oldest one still shows her puppy tendencies when she's on the chase.  Their growling and yipping at the limb rats must have fired up my neighbor's dogs....could hear them waking up in her house.

Time came to finish that cup and call in the dogs and get some grub ready.

Nothing fancy.   Nothing special.  Just some buttery cheddar biscuits, Tennessee Pride Hot sausage (which I hit with yellow mustard) and eggs loaded with course pepper & American cheese.

Had the biscuits cut and & the pan just in time to her a deep voice from above & behind me......"Good morning.....what's cooking?".   Said Darth Vader voice came from our 6'8" son, Teenage T-Rex.  Startled the heck outa both me & the dogs.  For a kid so tall....he can ninja up on an old dude with great stealth. 

7Pti5tG.jpg

F5JGIih.jpg

HwCjL0L.jpg

XzB1p85.jpg

m8gwm0R.jpg

He went into feeding frenzy like a bull shark and rolled out his schedule for the day and asked about my cooking plans.   I'd wanted to do Tex-Mex for dinner and gave him the menu rundown.  

He stopped me just in time.  I was about to put the dry pintos on to soak all day for the frijoles later on.  His schedule clashes mightily with said Tex-Mex dinner plans.

Looks like there will be some mid-day burgers instead.....wife & I can reheat ours whenever it comes around to our dinnertime.

Tex-Mex will be tomorrow night, it seems.

Very grateful for such simple things to contemplate.  Very grateful.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:22 AM, landscaper said:

My kind of breakfasts. Those biscuits look amazing!

Mind sharing the recipe?

Thank you.

These are very, very simple in terms of ingredients.

Ingredients:

• 2.5 cups of White Lilly or Southern Biscuit Flour (I'm sure other brands of self-rising would work just fine...these are the two I've tried).
  • 1 stick of frozen butter that is removed and grated.....or a 1/2 cup butter version of Crisco vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
  • 1 cup cold butter milk
  • parchment paper
  • pan
  • 425 degree oven

Directions:

• Use large mixing bowl to stir in grated frozen butter, cheddar (if used) and flour.   If substituting butter version of Crisco, then tear it into very small pieces and blend in with flour.
  • Add cold buttermilk to mix and stir lightly to incorporate it evenly.
  • Add extra flour onto a large piece of parchment on the counter and spread some out to lay the ball of dough onto.
  • Add flour to hands and rolling pin.
  • Add flour over the top of dough and work down and form with hands.
  • Use rolling ping to roll it out more.....adding floor as needed.
  • Fold the dough up into another stack and then work it back out with hands or rolling pin (repeat this a few more times)
  • Form the final roll out with the rolling pin so it's 1/3"-1/2" tall for normal sized biscuits (or 1/4" for the silver dollar sized)
  • Flour the rim of whatever size glass you are gonna use to cut the biscuits....do so in between each biscuit.
  • Press the glass down firmly, but don't rotate it (continue this until full coverage is made)
  • Remove cut biscuits and place on the parchment lined pan you will bake them on
  • Roll out remaining dough and repeat until you've used it all up......the final pieces I roll into "bones" for my dogs :rofl:
  • Place in 425 oven and begin checking at 15-18 minutes and cook until a light browning occurs on top
  • Brush on melted butter (optional)

There are numerous other ways to make them......but this is a simple version that requires few ingredients to be kept on hand.

Yeah I hear you brother. Went through the nightmare in 2016 and 2017. We call that episode the nightmare. 

Still get nervous when its testing time and pet scan. I'm glad the wife is ok. Sure makes you think about what's really important in life. 

Thank you for the recipe and God bless you both. 

Love your cooks brother and the story too. 

Thank you both.

This was something different than the cancer mess.

Working with a cardiologist to sort it all out.  He’s getting all his ducks in a row.

No blockages or evidence of “plumbing “ problem.   Appears to be “electrical “.  My terms not his. :)