Sign in to follow this  
gotzero

Cheap Easy Tomahawk

Whole Foods had beautiful looking tomahawk steaks for $10.99/lb with Amazon membership the other night, I bit. 132 in the Anova for a couple hours, quick sear with ghee on cast iron on the Akorn. The spectacle was enjoyed by all. 

Normally I stay away from things like this because the price is often absurd. I hope to see these more often. One per couple for entertaining seems like it would be a hoot. I have gone from living in fear of messing up nice steaks to looking forward to cooking them. I still cannot get over how easy it is to make food that looks and smells and tastes like this. 

SousVideTomahawk.jpg

Looks delicious. Starting with a really good cut of steak definitely makes perfection easier.

Going to M&T Butcher tomorrow morning to get some beef plate ribs. If they have any veal tomahawk steaks I'll grab a few. The only thing better than a tomahawk steak is a veal tomahawk steak ;)

Ck, have you ever tried a veal tomahawk steak with Italian seasonings? Way back, when Carrabba's was just getting started, they used to occasionally run a special Tomahawk Veal Chop and it was fabulous. I still make one occasionally, when I can find them. This is the recipe I use.

Veal Chop/ Ribeye

INGREDIENTS

1- Veal chop or Bone in Ribeye steak
grill seasoning (salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder)
oil and vinegar grill baste

PROCEDURE

Season all sides of the veal or steak.  Be sure to cover all sides.  Baste the meat generously and place on a hot grill (500°).  Cook on the grill, basting several times.  When the meat is almost finished, dab with grill baste, let the meat rest for 30 seconds and remove from the grill.  Place on a hot plate and serve with your choice of side. 

Lemon Butter Sauce:

INGREDIENTS

4 Tbsp. butter, divided
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh garlic chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
White pepper to taste
Kosher salt to taste

PROCEDURE

• In a saute pan place 1 Tbsp. butter, saute onions and garlic until softened.
  • Add white wine and lemon juice; simmer approximately 10 minutes on medium-low heat to reduce by 90%.  Let cool slightly. 
  • A little at a time, add remaining 3 Tbsp. butter, stirring constantly, until butter melts and mixture emulsifies. 
  • Do not let the butter get too hot or it will separate.  Season to taste

This is the recipe for the grill baste.

Grill baste

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 small yellow onion, finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, chopped

1 tablespoon all purpose flour

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Directions

Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, stir well, and cook without browning for 1 minute. Whisk in the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a medium-low. Add the parsley and cook, whisking often, until lightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool. The baste will separate. Whisk well before using. The grill baste can be made up to 1 week ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.

You should give on a try some time.

Will have to give that a try. Sounds delicious. I also from time to time buy First Cut, USDA Prime, NY strip steaks. That sounds like it would work good for those also. Maybe this weekend.